Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Anti social?

amother

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 7:44 pm
my baby is a very laid back easy going kid. he is 14 months old

the only issue I am having is that whenever I take him with me to a family event , shabbos meal outside our home,-
he is cranky. he seems to get cranky around crowds.
is this normal?

my other dc was not like this at all.
its very tough for me to go anywere with him!!!!!!!!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 8:42 pm
It's a personality thing. Some children get overwhelmed near strangers or a lot of people. My son is like this too.
He's young still, but explain to him where you are going, that there are a lot of people going to be there, and you'll still be there. Hold him if necessary. Take him out for a breather when you anticipate him getting upset before he has a complete meltdown.

Explain to others that he likes Mommy and they shouldn't be offended if he's not interested in them.
Don't label him as anti social or shy as he might live up to that expectation. Just explain that he might need a breather, and he feels more secure around Mommy.

IY"H, as he grows, and is able to express his feelings better, it will get easier.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 10:13 pm
Hopefully the more you take him into those settings the more comfortable he will get. My son also gets very nervous in crowded settings. For 2 months all he did each week at Mommy and Me was cry and hang on my skirt. I was so tempted to stop going but I kept at it and just this month he finally stopped crying and actually is playing with the other kids and feeling confident. Hang in there. Things should get better.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 11:16 am
Hashem_Yaazor- did your son grow out of this type of behavior ?
how old is he now?

I really hope its a stage[/quote]

louche

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 1:13 pm
Hey, man, I get cranky around crowds, too, and I have never been accused of being antisocial except by my then-teenaged brother, whose opinion by definition didn't count.

There's nothing abnormal about it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics