Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Unemployment is more than regular pay? Why go back to work?
Previous  1  2

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 2:28 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
When businesses actually reopen there will be no more $600 weekly bonus on top of unemployment. At that point it will make financial sense to go back to work. For now while businesses stay closed and one can get unemployment, they may come out ahead.

It doesn't work like that. The money is for time certain. I have 4 months with the $600 bonus.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 2:32 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
It doesn't work like that. The money is for time certain. I have 4 months with the $600 bonus.

At some point everything will open again and the $600 bonuses will end. All I’m saying is that for NOW, it may be financially better to get on unemployment. There are many ways to qualify for unemployment due to covid-19 and still be able to go back to work once it reopens. Once things go back to normal then of course one should return to work.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 3:09 pm
Very few posters actually answered this question. Of course unemployment won’t go on forever. But it does seem strange that for many people, they are currently making more money on unemployment then their regular jobs. Finically, they are in a better predicament than before covid-19.
And to clear up something, you can now turn down a job and still stay on unemployment if you have to take care of your children who are home now. At least in NY. It says so on the unemployment website.

For people who work part time it makes sense that the $600 would cause them to earn more than what they would normally.
And yes, now you can turn down jobs for those reasons but soon enough you won't be able to.

(If they offer work-at-home, is one allowed to turn it down?)

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 3:37 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Im a therapist and I work extremely hard. I work very difficult hours working at 8am and at 5pm. I get paid on a hourly rate (if my clients show up). I am a newer therapist and often very stressed at work. I'm loving the relaxed schedule at home and nothing on my head. I'm definitely getting paid more on unemployment (with the additional $600). It was also nice to get paid over yt!!! I'm really loving this freedom and spending time with my kids. On one hand, the field I am in is extremely competitive and I worked so hard to even get this job. I love what I do but not the hours or the stress. I really hope the clinic stays closed for a while.

How did you get paid over yt? One of the questions they ask weekly is if there were any days that week that you weren’t willing and able to work. I obviously wasn’t willing and ready to work on the days of yt..

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 3:39 pm
At some point everything will open again and the $600 bonuses will end. All I’m saying is that for NOW, it may be financially better to get on unemployment. There are many ways to qualify for unemployment due to covid-19 and still be able to go back to work once it reopens. Once things go back to normal then of course one should return to work.

There's a minimum amount of time you can get the money.

Cmon be nice

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 3:42 pm
In plain english. The feds are giving everybody on unemployment an additional $600 beyond the standard state amount. And like others have said, its only temporary
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics