Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Trying to understand the logic of masks
Previous  1  2

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 1:43 am
It curbs spreading it especially for those who get no symptoms. They will make fashionable masks soon. People will be more willing to look uncool when enough of us wear it and it becomes normalized. When they get enough dirty looks if you don't wear one. If it becomes like sneezing in someones face without covering you sneeze.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 1:43 am
Einikel wrote:
The fact that for the first few months CDC was saying that masks serve no purpose, it’s psychologically hard to undo. If anything CDC propogated this sentiment so calling people not wearing masks killers is pretty harsh.

I think the CDC is not guiltless.

Nevertheless, the poster expressed the sentiment that the discomfort from the masks may cause people to be reluctant to utilize them. I sincerely hope that the risk reward calculation of masks discomfort vs potentially endangering lives would result in the risk quotient outweighing the increased comfort reward.

amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Staying home without a mask doesn't kill.

Yup. I assumed the topic of discussion was regarding mask utilization when people were going out anyways. Obviously, curtailment of social contact and potential transmission is preferential to that from an epidemiology perspective, as you correctly point out.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 1:50 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
If cdc lied here no matter the reason how can we trust them with medical advice ever? If a large company offers them millions to approve whatever they are selling how can we trust cdc not to take the bribe?

CDC is the only regulatory agency allowed to accept bribes aka "gifts" (millions $$$) from the industry they are regulating - Pharmaceutical Industry. CDC is NOT trustworthy. And neither are politicians who accept millions in bribes aka "donations" from corporations.

vehoson

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 1:51 am
If cdc lied here no matter the reason how can we trust them with medical advice ever? If a large company offers them millions to approve whatever they are selling how can we trust cdc not to take the bribe?

There are people that are highly skeptical of the vaccination and cancer industries for this reason. (I am not taking a stance on either side. Nevertheless, it is always worth bearing in mind that all systems are run by humans, and none are non impeachable. One should always do independent research and conduct an independent analysis as opposed to automatically taking everything an authority figure says at face value. See the Milgram experiments, for example.)

nchr

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 1:58 am
CDC did not lie about masks. They said that masks do not protect the idnivudals from getting sick, but should be placed on sick indivudals to prevent the spreading of many droplets etc. We didn't know the extend of asymptomatic spreading at that time - we now know a lot more. We also know that, in some cases, masks actually spread increase infection rate because people may be less cognizant of the fact that need to wash their hands or may be touching their mask or pulling it up and down since our cultural does not wear them often. When we saw how other mask wearing countries were doing and realized the extent (albeit not the most common) of asymptomatic transmission, it was recommended Americand wear them. It wasn't some nefarious plot. And btw many hospitals have only some nurses and some doctors using n95s due to lack of them, so hoarding really was something for our government to try to prevent as well.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 7:09 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
It curbs spreading it especially for those who get no symptoms. They will make fashionable masks soon. People will be more willing to look uncool when enough of us wear it and it becomes normalized. When they get enough dirty looks if you don't wear one. If it becomes like sneezing in someones face without covering you sneeze.

I just got an email with some adorable masks! https://www.forallgifts.com/ca.....rings

You can get them personalized, so that when people see you, it doesn't feel so anonymous. I like this style, because it is long enough to accommodate the average beard, and they don't look overly tight.

You could probably get your kids to wear one of these styles:

https://www.forallgifts.com/pr.....cover

https://www.forallgifts.com/pr.....cover

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 7:24 am
I'm a nurse in a major hospital in Israel and we all wear surgical masks only, not the N95, and I am very grateful for that.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 7:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
if nurses are complaining that they're not given the right gear to be protected, for example, they're not given N95 masks
why are we told to be wearing these flimsy masks that nurses complain don't protect them.
does it protect or doesn't it?
I know I can blow out a candle while wearing the one my grocery hands out?
logic anyone?
it's the best we can do won't fly with me

I wear two together so I can't blow out a candle.
Any barrier is better than no barrier, but if you know yours is too flimsy, double up.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 9:41 am
If cdc lied here no matter the reason how can we trust them with medical advice ever?

I personally didn't trust them, nor would I ever trust them. What they said just didn't sound right to me. I started wearing a mask on March 11. People made fun of me, but too bad.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 9:43 am
ra_mom wrote:
If you know yours is too flimsy, double up.

I also put a layer of Duck tape across the front. It doesn't prevent particles from getting in the side, but I think it may provide a bit more protection.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 9:50 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I also put a layer of Duck tape across the front. It doesn't prevent particles from getting in the side, but I think it may provide a bit more protection.

Surgical tape will probably be better for your skin.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 9:51 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Surgical tape will probably be better for your skin.

Yes, thanks, but it's not on my skin. It's just across the fabric of the tape.

(The first one I made was so air-tight I couldn't breathe!)

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 10:28 am

You're catching on... Anti-vaxxers aren't so crazy after all, huh? I mean, probably still a little crazy, but conspiracy theories sometimes do have a basis...

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 12:28 pm
nchr wrote:
CDC did not lie about masks. They said that masks do not protect the idnivudals from getting sick, but should be placed on sick indivudals to prevent the spreading of many droplets etc. We didn't know the extend of asymptomatic spreading at that time - we now know a lot more. We also know that, in some cases, masks actually spread increase infection rate because people may be less cognizant of the fact that need to wash their hands or may be touching their mask or pulling it up and down since our cultural does not wear them often. When we saw how other mask wearing countries were doing and realized the extent (albeit not the most common) of asymptomatic transmission, it was recommended Americand wear them. It wasn't some nefarious plot. And btw many hospitals have only some nurses and some doctors using n95s due to lack of them, so hoarding really was something for our government to try to prevent as well.

CDC DID Lie. Doctors and nurses want masks to protect THEMSELVES so masks DO work to protect the wearer. CDC lied in order to save masks for healthcare providers, but that doesn't justify lying to the public.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics