Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Plural of milah (word)
Previous  1  2  3

etky

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 4:46 pm
Ora in town wrote:
Milah like word or Mila like in brith mila?
for word, the plural is milim.
For the concept of "Mila" like in brith mila, I would assume there is no plural, you would just put Brit in plural, britot, but mila would remain singular...

Yes - that's the usual term if you're talking about the event in a general sense.
But, if you're talking about the actual, technical act of the circumcision, then milot can be used as the plural.
Don't forget, not every circumcision is the Jewish, ritual kind that indicates a ברית. There is also medical circumcision and female circumcision TMI .

Hillery

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 5:36 pm
Ora in town wrote:
...yeah, they also say "shabbossim" and it is "Shabatot", they say "Sthissim", and it is "Stuyiot", they say "shekoach" and it should "Yeyasher koachach(a)"...

I wonder where it comes from?
Lack of education in proper lashon kodesh?

It's comes from incorporating foreign words and applying the native grammar and syntax. This happened in every language.

You get the same in Yiddish with past tense English words, like איך האב געדזשאמפד, which has a double past tense qualifier - the גע from Yiddish and the ed from English.

chanchy123

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 2:55 am
Ora in town wrote:
...yeah, they also say "shabbossim" and it is "Shabatot", they say "Sthissim", and it is "Stuyiot", they say "shekoach" and it should "Yeyasher koachach(a)"...

I wonder where it comes from?
Lack of education in proper lashon kodesh?

Or my favorite shaloshides which took me ages to understand how this could possibly mean the same as סעודה שלישית. Until I was finally able to translate back to שלוש סעודות.
It’s a vernacular that was widely influenced by Hebrew but doesn’t follow Hebrew grammar. My command of Yiddish is very poor I know the few Yiddish words my mother or Bubbie would use and together with my Hebrew and English I can sort of figure out some more.
As this site is becoming more chassidish I sometimes wish there’d be a glossary for us Yiddish challenged posters.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 3:02 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Milim.
The only kametz hai word that's zachor is lailah, afaik, so that's where the confusion comes in.

Laiylah is actually layil with an extra hei added, similar to the extra yud's in the first perek in hallel.

simcha2

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 3:06 pm
Just want to say how much I enjoyed this thread. Learnt some new things. Thank you
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions