Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Grab N Go - Is it like taking charity?
Previous  1  2

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 8:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
But there are some schools people line up two hours before it starts and they run out because so many people come that is not from the school.
This is what I am hearing.

I can’t control if people that didn’t sign up come. So whether or not I sign up won’t change that. The place I was getting from had that problem initially but is now much better. Everyone gets

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 8:49 am
Interestingly I know of a community where a person who would not qualify but who was very involved in getting it off the ground made a point of getting in line the first day. I think to send the message that this is for all families. If the rules say you're eligible and you're making your life easier, I don't think you have to feel guilty.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 9:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
But there are some schools people line up two hours before it starts and they run out because so many people come that is not from the school.
This is what I am hearing.

In distribution centers where everyone qualifies no matter the income, it can't be reserved for just school families, it needs to be open for the entire area.

lk1234

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 9:11 am
chocolatecake wrote:
In my opinion it’s the same as busing and textbooks. Yes I can afford 200 to pay for textbooks and if I had to figure out a carpool to get my kids to school I would. However the government provides a service and buses my kids and pays for textbooks. Right now the government is providing a service of free lunches for all kids under 18.

Agreed 100%. I go to the library. I can afford $7 on a book but the library is service that is provided. So I use it!

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 9:15 am
They’re just sending home the school lunches that they have government money for..
We don’t know understand why they are including babies and toddlers not yet in school but they have it all figured out...
Unfortunately there is still a lot of food going to waste even though they are allocating for babies.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 9:15 am
lk1234 wrote:
Agreed 100%. I go to the library. I can afford $7 on a book but the library is service that is provided. So I use it!

I love that analogy!
Who knows?? Maybe since the libraries are closed they are using library tax money for food 😂!!!

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 9:20 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Maybe it depends on the state? Where I live free or subsidized lunch is income based.

Yes usually it is, but now it’s not. At least in Lakewood.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 10:03 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
They’re just sending home the school lunches that they have government money for..
We don’t know understand why they are including babies and toddlers not yet in school but they have it all figured out...
Unfortunately there is still a lot of food going to waste even though they are allocating for babies.

Not exactly. There's a summer lunch program that differs from school lunch programs. There might be a third kind, I can't remember offhand. The funding is handled a little differently.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 11:01 am
It is in a way if you don't need it. I resisted for a long time but then I read that the mayor extended the service to adults because there wasn't enough response when it was just for schoolkids. IOW, food was going to waste. The city has a contract and they can't tell the contractors to provide fewer meals than they used to. Also, if there's not enough demand for kosher meals at any hub, they might close that hub, which would be a hardship for the truly needy. So I decided to participate both because wasting food is a terrible thing and because there needs to be a show of demand. There is never a line at my hub so I assume demand is not that strong. If they normally ran out of food, I wouldn't go because it should go to the needy, but it doesn't look as if they're running out.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 2:39 pm
If gov is offering you something, I don't see any reason not to take it if you want it.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 3:37 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
I guess it's semantics.

Charity seems to be a loaded word with negative implications.

Personally I wouldn't take the free food but that's because I can afford to purchase food for my family so I would rather the money was used to fund food or other programs for those who need financial or other help.

If someone otherwise qualifies for free lunch or their income has been slashed by the pandemic, then they should take the food with no embarrassment and I don't begrudge their having access to food at all.

There is a limited amount of money available - states, cities and other municipalities can't run on a deficit like the Federal government so money spent subsidizing people who don't need subsidy is going to have to come from somewhere - either reduced essential services like police and fire, schools, emergency facilities etc. or taxes will have to be raised.

What if all the food was bought already fait acompli

A text goes out pick up box, all welcome

If you dont take it , often it goes in garbage
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics