Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Grab N Go - Is it like taking charity?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 9:14 pm
I was wondering if grab n go meals are like taking charity even though its funded by the government?
I heard its bad luck taking things for free if you don’t need to.
I would love to hear your input.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 9:23 pm
It’s taking charity just like taking food stamps or medicaid is taking charity. I don’t hold of it as charity because I pay into the system with my tax dollars so some years I make more money and pay more in healthcare premiums and some years I make less and get back some of what I paid into it.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 9:29 pm
It's paid for by my tax dollars. No connection to taking charity whatsoever.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 9:33 pm
Of course its charity. Its providing meals to people who might not otherwise be able to eat.

Nothing wrong with it.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 9:35 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
It's paid for by my tax dollars. No connection to taking charity whatsoever.

Yes this!! I feel like I’m finally getting some of my tax money back!

Blessing1

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 9:41 pm
I don't think it's charity. My kids get breakfast and lunch at school every day.

Reality

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 9:43 pm
It is not charity. It is a government funded program open to all children regardless of income level.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 9:44 pm
Very surprised at the responses. It is not at all charity. Every single child under age 18 qualifies for meals, no matter the income.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 9:46 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Very surprised at the responses. It is not at all charity. Every single child under age 18 qualifies for meals, no matter the income.

Why are you surprised at the responses that are all agreeing with you besides one?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 10:12 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Why are you surprised at the responses that are all agreeing with you besides one?

I cross-posted with Reality. Maybe I misunderstood, but the others were all saying that it's charity.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 11:23 pm
I guess it's semantics.

Charity seems to be a loaded word with negative implications.

Personally I wouldn't take the free food but that's because I can afford to purchase food for my family so I would rather the money was used to fund food or other programs for those who need financial or other help.

If someone otherwise qualifies for free lunch or their income has been slashed by the pandemic, then they should take the food with no embarrassment and I don't begrudge their having access to food at all.

There is a limited amount of money available - states, cities and other municipalities can't run on a deficit like the Federal government so money spent subsidizing people who don't need subsidy is going to have to come from somewhere - either reduced essential services like police and fire, schools, emergency facilities etc. or taxes will have to be raised.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 11:28 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
I guess it's semantics.

Charity seems to be a loaded word with negative implications.

Personally I wouldn't take the free food but that's because I can afford to purchase food for my family so I would rather the money was used to fund food or other programs for those who need financial or other help.

If someone otherwise qualifies for free lunch or their income has been slashed by the pandemic, then they should take the food with no embarrassment and I don't begrudge their having access to food at all.

There is a limited amount of money available - states, cities and other municipalities can't run on a deficit like the Federal government so money spent subsidizing people who don't need subsidy is going to have to come from somewhere - either reduced essential services like police and fire, schools, emergency facilities etc. or taxes will have to be raised.

When schools prepare the boxes or lunches what do they base the number on?

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 11:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
When schools prepare the boxes or lunches what do they base the number on?

What schools are you referring to?

New York City public school program is unique since it offers food to anyone - no questions asked - and so I assume they distribute amount to each distribution center based on numbers that showed up in the past week or month - however they calculate.

I have no idea how other schools are handling the funding and administrative aspect of determining who gets as the policies (just based on imamother threads) are all over the place

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 11:41 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
What schools are you referring to?

New York City public school program is unique since it offers food to anyone - no questions asked - and so I assume they distribute amount to each distribution center based on numbers that showed up in the past week or month - however they calculate.

I have no idea how other schools are handling the funding and administrative aspect of determining who gets as the policies (just based on imamother threads) are all over the place

I am talking about yeshivas
Then you have those that double dip

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 7:13 am
This is an interesting question. I thought about it before starting to go to these programs, as I have never before taken any type of public assistance (though I could have been eligible for WIC, etc years ago).

My thoughts are that this is different than other forms of assistance because:
1. It has helped us significantly reduce the number of supermarket trips at a time when we were told to avoid supermarket shopping as a matter of public health.
2. It has helped us financially when we had to close our business to protect the public health.
3. It is a huge help to overwhelmed mothers who have little time to cook due to being busy with kids at home since schools are closed for the sake of public health.
4. It is providing parnassa to suffering local schools and/or kosher restaurants/caterers.

These programs have been a bright spot for me in a very difficult time period.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 7:40 am
I take because it’s there. If it wasn’t there I’d be able to pay for my own groceries thank god. We did take a financial hit but are still able to pay the bills. This definitely helps. It’s open to anyone who signs up. I asked if someone else would be turned away for lack of spots if I signed up and was told there is enough for everyone. Otherwise I wouldn’t take. I’m happy to get some return on my tax dollars and as N individual, I don’t think debt is changing that much based on me.

chocolatecake

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 8:31 am
In my opinion it’s the same as busing and textbooks. Yes I can afford 200 to pay for textbooks and if I had to figure out a carpool to get my kids to school I would. However the government provides a service and buses my kids and pays for textbooks. Right now the government is providing a service of free lunches for all kids under 18.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 8:36 am
Maybe it depends on the state? Where I live free or subsidized lunch is income based.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 8:37 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I take because it’s there. If it wasn’t there I’d be able to pay for my own groceries thank god. We did take a financial hit but are still able to pay the bills. This definitely helps. It’s open to anyone who signs up. I asked if someone else would be turned away for lack of spots if I signed up and was told there is enough for everyone. Otherwise I wouldn’t take. I’m happy to get some return on my tax dollars and as N individual, I don’t think debt is changing that much based on me.

But there are some schools people line up two hours before it starts and they run out because so many people come that is not from the school.
This is what I am hearing.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 8:43 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Maybe it depends on the state? Where I live free or subsidized lunch is income based.

It's not based on state, it's a federal program, but it is location dependent. Meaning there needs to be a certain percentage of low income/qualify for subsidized or free meals in either the school or the area around it in order for it to be free for everyone. If that number isn't met, then it goes by individual family's eligibility.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics