Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Do you think that beief in evolution negates the ikkarim?
Previous  1  2

Is believing in evolution kfira?
Yes, anyone who thinks evolution is right is a kofer  
 31%  [ 10 ]
No, belief in evolution is compatible with jewish faith  
 68%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 32

Ora in town

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 10:17 am
malki2 wrote:
These are your interpretations, but they are not necessarily accurate. Anyone who has checked for lice has found bits on the hair, so it’s a little superficial to say that Chazal did not know of the existence of nits. While some do explain as you did, there is another explanation, that the Torah’s understanding of parasites can be is that if they can’t live off of the host, such as with lice, they do not have their own existence and are not classified as being alive. With regards to the fish worms, if they are born in the fish, then they are part of the fish.

So why was Mommyg8 taught in halacha class that spontanous generation of maggots was true (and, I suppose, relevant to halacha)?

Mommyg8 wrote:
We actually learned this in halacha class. We're you being sarcastic or is this real?

malki2

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 10:20 am
Ora in town wrote:

I assume that she was taught what the Gemara says, which could have fit with the scientific understanding of those times, and also with the current scientific understanding. The Gemara was true and needed to be understood before the days of Louis Pasteur as well.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 10:21 am
The Rambam, who wrote the 13 Ikkarim, was adamant about the value of studying and understanding natural science. I imagine he would have gotten a kick out of this conversation.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 10:25 am
Ora in Town, go look up Gerald Schroeder. He has many talks, articles and books about science and God. Very worthwhile. And will probably answer your questions.

malki2

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 10:29 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
The Rambam, who wrote the 13 Ikkarim, was adamant about the value of studying and understanding natural science. I imagine he would have gotten a kick out of this conversation.

Belief in Evolution is not called understanding of natural science, as the Evolutionists admit that their belief cannot be explained according to natural science. And please explain why, if everything was created directly by Hashem, Who also created the laws of natural science, understanding of the Creation under these terms cannot be called natural science.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 10:32 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
I believe the question would be, how do you reconcile the above narrative with the 6 days of Creation described in Bereishis.

If there is a conflict, and you choose the evolution theory over the Torah's account, you have a problem.

If you do not see a conflict, then you may have an unusual way of understanding the Torah, but are not in denial of the 13 Ikarim.

Multiple times commonly the torah says day and doesn't mean our days but longer time periods. Then where would there be a contraditiction?

Someone once told me there is a meforash that says our world had other worlds on it before us. I dont know a source, just what I heard.

The neanderthal / human stuff / apes, I heard a meforash that says at migdal bavel some of the workers were turned into apes/ gorillas or something. Dont know source, just what I heard.

When Gd said "Vayehi" did it not manifest as a "big bang"?

So are there really any contradictions?

paperflowers

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 10:34 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:

I was going to say basically the same thing.

merelyme

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 10:40 am
Ora in town wrote:
Do you think that any person accepting the findings of contemporary science about the solar system, the early history of earth, the genesis of plants, animals and humans is a kofer, negates basic principle of judaism?

Ora in town, your previous thread was removed for review.
Please be patient with the process. Please do not start another thread on the same subject.
And please be sensitive to the concerns of others, even when you disagree with them.
For concerns, you can pm me or Yael, or file a report.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics