Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why do people say Rayshard Brooks was shot in the back?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

monkeymamma

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 12:03 am
Fox wrote:
No clue. Maybe I'll search for any recent interviews, etc., when I get a chance.

Everyone should be smart enough to realize that the politicizing of police shootings is a no-win for any of us. It is simultaneously true that police protocols should be regularly evaluated and improved; that burned out or bad police officers shouldn't be protected by their unions and should be fired; and that resisting arrest, even in a minor way, is likely to end badly.

I think we also need to change our attitudes toward those police officers who burn out or go bad over time. They do a job that the vast majority of us couldn't do for a few hours, let alone 25 years. They see stuff in a single shift that most of us don't see in a lifetime. Even "good" cops have suicide, divorce, and alcoholism rates that are through the roof.

Many so-called "bad cops" are really just "damaged cops." If we're going to send people out to deal with the worst of humanity day after day, we have to have a system for dealing with the effects of that in a compassionate way.

This is exactly why the cops need mandatory weekly therapy. Why is it so difficult to set it up for them?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 8:58 am
Cheiny wrote:
Once again, how do you imagine he ended up in the drive thru lane??? He pushed his car into it?

Thanks for clarifying.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 9:05 am
monkeymamma wrote:
This is exactly why the cops need mandatory weekly therapy. Why is it so difficult to set it up for them?

Defunding the police won't help them get it.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 9:46 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I dont think anyone is saying that. More like saying that he cant hurt anyone like the guy from NY who was arrested 103 times but was still able to hurt a woman this week.
Either way, we say Baruch Dayan Emes when someone dies, is that saying that we are glad the person is dead or are we saying that we believe Hashem knows whats best and it was the time for the person to die so we have to accept it regardless of how we feel about it? Why is this any different?

Would you feel so calm about it if it had been a young bachur on Purim who got shot?

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 9:51 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Defunding the police won't help them get it.

This, exactly. This would require MORE funding, not less.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 10:12 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Would you feel so calm about it if it had been a young bachur on Purim who got shot?

Please tell your son not to drink and drive, beat people/kids up and definitely not to grab a police officers taser and/or resist arrest.
And we would still say Baruch Dayan Emes if your son is killed by cops because at the end of the day, that is Hashems will and He knows best. We might be outraged and have a peaceful protest (and many Jews participated in the protests now as well) but not go around protesting and looting/vandalizing businesses for days on end without stop. That is not what having emunah is about. Are you questioning God?

shoshanim999

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 10:14 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:

Meaning would we complain if a bocher who was driving drunk, fought with 2 cops, stole their taser, and shot the pursuing officer with the taser? No.

Do you think this would be a national story if the criminal was white and the cop was black?

Blacks don't want equality anymore. They deservedly achieved that a long time ago. At this point they want some kind of untouchable status.
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics