Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Need suggestions where to move
Previous  1  2  3

banana123

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 9:49 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
You can pm me

She cannot, because you are anonymous.

That is the reason why no one's messages are going through.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 11:27 am
Baltimore, Baltimore, Baltimore

I grew up here, move away for 13 years when I got married and moved back. Anyone, any walk of life, any level of yidishkeit, shticky fancy dresser, shlompy dressed...we have it all and everyone accepts everyone.

Since corona virus started, I think I wore my shaitel 3 times and that's just because I had to go to a non jewish doctors office and felt it respectful (though plenty of people come in snoods there too)

I have good friends that don't even own a shaitel and only wear wraps.

It's such a chilled city. Housing is affordable.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 12:12 am
Second Northeast Philadelphia. I grew up here and currently live here. It's fantastic to see the young families that are benefiting from the affordable housing. Open, out of town mentality. A great place to raise kids with lower financial pressure and keeping up with the Jones. Contact Rabbi Yeamans at rabbi@biozshul.org if you may want to arrange some kind of visit or questions. Easy drive from lakeood or NY. Wishing you lots of clarity and much mazel!

thatworn

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 12:10 am
TeachersNotebook wrote:
Elementary schools:
Politz Hebrew Academy - community school that follows das Torah (under Rav Shmuel Kamenetsky), separate boys and girls from 1st grade, located very close by, what I would consider out of town bais yaakov, Torah umesorah affiliate;
Caskey Torah Academy - located in the Mainline, another Jewish community 30-40 minutes away, separate boys and girls in 4th grade, Torah umesorah affiliate;
Politz of Cherry Hill - also 30 minutes away, modern Orthodox, separate boys and girls in 3rd grade;
Abrams Hebrew Academy - located in Yardley, 30 minutes away, coed diverse student body
The Lab School - also located on the Mainline, non-traditional education methods, such as mixed age classes and child-led learning etc, I believe they are coed until 5th? But they currently only go to 4th grade? Not sure of the details, they are on the newer side.
TIDE Academy - (Torah im derech eretz), new school in the northeast, an Acton academy, I think it goes until 2nd grade right now.
The chabad elementary is in Overbrook Park, around 30 minutes away. I don't know anything about it.

Girls High Schools:
Kohelet Yeshiva HS - modern Orthodox, separate gender for most classes. I'm not in the parsha, so I don't know much about the high schools yet. I just know that Kohelet is always bringing in top internationally renowned speakers for the community.
Kosloff Torah Academy for Girls - Torah umesorah affiliate, all girls.
None of the high schools are in the Northeast proper.

The whole community of Rhawnhurst is within walking distance. That's the neighborhood I live in within the Northeast. I'd estimate it's probably a 40-45 minute walk from one extreme end to another, but I don't usually have to walk more than 25 minutes to get somewhere on Shabbos.

There is one playground within walking distance. To be honest, it's not the best one around here, though we still go often. We also often drive to bigger ones 5 minutes away by car during the week. The cool thing we have is access to Pennypack park within the neighborhood. It's huge and full of trails, a stream, picnic areas... It's beautiful.

Hope that helped!

Thanks so much, this is very helpful info! Basically, the Yidden live in Rhawnhurst and have to travel a half an hour or more to whatever school they send to?
What about food shopping or shopping for Jewish specific items of clothing, etc? Do people travel to NY and Lakewood and stock up?

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 3:44 pm
To those who live in Northeast Philadelphia, I also have a few questions:

How many shuls/mikvah in the area?
Are there any sepharadic shuls in the area?
Do you feel it’s a safe neighborhood for kids ?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating