Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Can I get DD 1yo to sleep in???

missmuffetsmum

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 8:37 am
DD is 1yo and has always been an early riser. On a 'bad' morning, she can be up before 6am; on a regular day she'll be up between 6-7am. Yes, she does go to sleep around 6pm for the night, but that's because when she used to go to sleep at 7pm, she was up the same time and only getting 11 hours of sleep! Same goes for when she goes to bed later, she's up before 7am. And she's a terrible napper during the day. And not a big eater. But she does sleep through the night generally...
Her room is warm, her paci is attached to her sleeping bag and can't really get lost. She has a 180ml bottle of milk before going to sleep. Her room has blockout curtains and it's winter here in any case, so dark in the morning. She's an only child and our building is quiet at those hours, so nothing particular waking her. There are a couple of teddies/books in her bed, but she only wants to come out - pointing straight at the door as soon as we go to her. She'll cry for us not long after waking up.
My mom says she'll be like that no matter what we do, as my siblings and I were the same... But maybe someone here has a suggestion to help her sleep in?

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 8:43 am
Nope. If you usually make it to six, that's good. (I'm assuming she's sleeping through.)

With some kids, I could take them out of the crib, give them a hug and a bottle or sippy cup, put them in the living room in a pack and play with toys, and doze on the couch nearby for a bit. You can try that.

teachkids

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 8:44 am
Nope. That’s normal waking time for that age. I just pull her into bed with me at that point and we cuddle till I’m ready to get up.

When it got too early (before 5) we cut out a daytime nap which helped.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 8:45 am
It won't change. Best to accept it and teach her how to play by herself nearby so hopefully you can still doze after you feed her. And embrace the quiet nights! Smile

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Aug 02 2020, 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 8:48 am
No, she probably will always wake up in the early morning. That’s what the vast majority of babies do. If she wakes up at 7 am then keeping her up til 11 is depriving her of sleep which is tied to lots of things including Brain development.

Most kids do not start “sleeping in” even if they stay up late til young school aged (5-6), some not even then.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 9:31 am
I don't know if you can do it at this age, but I accidentally trained my kids to be late wakers by treating the early morning wakeups just like to middle of the night ones. My babies would wake up every few hours for night feedings and I would nurse them and put them right back to bed even at 6 AM. My kids don't wake for the day before 8. Although it could be genetic because I'm not a morning person.

stillnewlywed

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 10:35 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
I don't know if you can do it at this age, but I accidentally trained my kids to be late wakers by treating the early morning wakeups just like to middle of the night ones. My babies would wake up every few hours for night feedings and I would nurse them and put them right back to bed even at 6 AM. My kids don't wake for the day before 8. Although it could be genetic because I'm not a morning person.

What time do your kids go to sleep?

stillnewlywed

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 10:36 am
Babies wake up early, that’s life.
You really can’t expect her to get up any later than 6 am if she’s going to bed at 6 pm. 12 hours is a long night for a one year old!
Is she on 1 nap or 2 naps?

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 10:48 am
stillnewlywed wrote:
Babies wake up early, that’s life.
You really can’t expect her to get up any later than 6 am if she’s going to bed at 6 pm. 12 hours is a long night for a one year old!
Is she on 1 nap or 2 naps?

OP said she doesn't really nap at all (I'm assuming that's what "terrible napper" means.)

Stars

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 10:55 am
No. Sorry. If she sleeps 12 hours you are incredibly lucky. You can push back bedtime to 7 but it can take a year or longer to get a new routine of 7pm-7am.

lasagna

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 11:01 am
I put my daughter to sleep at 8:30ish and she stays in bed until at least 9am, I could sometimes push it to 9:30/10 (this is corona time, usually she needs to be up and ready by 8:30 for daycare). She is usually awake at nine but will happily play with herself and the books I put in her crib.

You cant expect your kid to sleep that late, but you can try and provide entertainment in the room such as books in bed or a crib toy.

missmuffetsmum

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 8:03 pm
Yeah, that's what I assumed... It's just hard to be on vacation/Shabbos and get up so early. Lucky she's delicious and we love her anyway!
FYI terrible napper means she can sleep 40 min all day. Or even 10! But she's been like that since birth, so... And she doesn't do cuddles in bed, she loves emptying the windowsill behind me and dropping things on my head LOL
Thanks for all your help!

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 8:10 pm
That’s why I never did 6 pm bedtime because I like my kids to sleep in a little.

missmuffetsmum

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 8:34 pm
And in case you didn't read my whole drasha above, 7pm bedtimes meant 6am wakeups too, just crankier due to an hour less of sleep.

challahchallah

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 8:40 pm
missmuffetsmum wrote:
And in case you didn't read my whole drasha above, 7pm bedtimes meant 6am wakeups too, just crankier due to an hour less of sleep.

How long did you try this for? Kids take a while to adjust. Best if you can move bedtime by only like 5 minutes a day for a couple weeks. How do you deal with daylight savings? Do it the same way. A one year can’t read clocks.

missmuffetsmum

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 9:18 pm
A few months. She had a 7pm bedtime BEFORE the 6pm bedtime. When she kept waking up after only 11 hours, I tried my luck putting her to sleep an hour earlier and she kept the same wake up time bh! I think I'll just accept that it is what it is and love her all the same Smile

challahchallah

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 9:29 pm
missmuffetsmum wrote:
A few months. She had a 7pm bedtime BEFORE the 6pm bedtime. When she kept waking up after only 11 hours, I tried my luck putting her to sleep an hour earlier and she kept the same wake up time bh! I think I'll just accept that it is what it is and love her all the same Smile

Definitely love her all the same!!! That being said, 11 hours is a really good amount of sleep for a one year old. You might find that an 8pm bedtime gets you a 7 am wake up. It depends whether you care more about a later wake up or more total hours. So much of this is just about what works for your family. And I agree, I wish I could shift the hours just for shabbos and yom tov. Alas, we’re kind of stuck with the same schedule all week long so have to pick whatever works best overall.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 12:33 am
So your 1 year old baby, goes to sleep for the night, at 6 or 7 pm and sleeps uninterrupted till 6 or 7 in the morn and you’re whining? Banging head Banging head Banging head

My 2.8 year old dd goes to sleep 11pm is on her own program, wakes 5x a night and wakes 7am...

Count your blessings mama...

Life with babies is hands full you definitely got the greater part of the deal with this one.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 12:36 am
And to the other posters asking, Dina Friedman recommends to lightly wake them at about 5 6 am and when they fall back asleep they end up sleeping longer but op this info is not for you it’s for moms that put baby to sleep very late and they still wake mighty early

I honestly feel like your baby sleeps over enough. Go to sleep early if you wanna be less cranky in the morning.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics