Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Splitting headache! My son doesn't want this yeshiva
Previous  1  2

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 3:15 am
If he chooses not to go, write them a letter explaining your hakaras hatov to them for giving your son the chance and though he's choosing to stay local this year, you appreciate everything they do and stand for and hope that there will be future opportunities to join their wonderful mosad.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 3:24 am
I totally understand my son wanted to go to a certain yeshiva and would not take the other two test bh we convinced him and was accepted bh in three yeshiva
Guess which one he wants to go to yep the one we don't want we spoken to rabbonim his mentor etc we were told he's 14 and we have to let him go my stomach is sick I was crying when I had to tell the yeshiva we wanted to say we didn't the place
And icing on the plate just found out that it's more money than we can afford

behappy2

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 5:20 am
Kids are very fickle at this age. They are growing (emotionally) by leaps and bounds, creating an identity. What was very important three months ago isn't important anymore.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 5:40 am
I showed this to my husband, who told me to send this message.

Keep far away from Brisk! It has its benefits for twenty year olds, who have a background in learning and won't fall for it. But Brisk glitters and shines to a teenager searching for certainty in an uncertain world. It can suck you in and stunt the mind. Brisk believes in conceptual underpinning minus understanding, they are not and were not the accepted way of learning. Reb Moshe did not learn like that, neither did Rav Shach and not the Chofetz Chaim et al.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 5:49 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
I showed this to my husband, who told me to send this message.

Keep far away from Brisk! It has its benefits for twenty year olds, who have a background in learning and won't fall for it. But Brisk glitters and shines to a teenager searching for certainty in an uncertain world. It can suck you in and stunt the mind. Brisk believes in conceptual underpinning minus understanding, they are not and were not the accepted way of learning. Reb Moshe did not learn like that, neither did Rav Shach and not the Chofetz Chaim et al.

Not sure where you picked up that hes going to Brisk?

Brisk is a learning style just as much as Reb Moshe and Rav Shach are. You can't force a person to learn a certain way. His brain is wired to dig deep.
It's the least of my concerns.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 5:50 am
behappy2 wrote:
Kids are very fickle at this age. They are growing (emotionally) by leaps and bounds, creating an identity. What was very important three months ago isn't important anymore.

But it's going to become important in 3 months again. Smile

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 5:51 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
I totally understand my son wanted to go to a certain yeshiva and would not take the other two test bh we convinced him and was accepted bh in three yeshiva
Guess which one he wants to go to yep the one we don't want we spoken to rabbonim his mentor etc we were told he's 14 and we have to let him go my stomach is sick I was crying when I had to tell the yeshiva we wanted to say we didn't the place
And icing on the plate just found out that it's more money than we can afford

I feel you.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 5:52 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
If he chooses not to go, write them a letter explaining your hakaras hatov to them for giving your son the chance and though he's choosing to stay local this year, you appreciate everything they do and stand for and hope that there will be future opportunities to join their wonderful mosad.

I guess I'll do something like this. They're struggling financially. I'll probably throw in something.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 11:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Not sure where you picked up that hes going to Brisk?

Brisk is a learning style just as much as Reb Moshe and Rav Shach are. You can't force a person to learn a certain way. His brain is wired to dig deep.
It's the least of my concerns.

You wrote that he wants the Brisker way of learning. My husband tells me that Brisk is shallow, the other Yeshivos in the US are much deeper. Brisk believes in 'not understanding' as opposed to the general 'Kaminetzer' way that is popular in American Yeshivos
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics