Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/o what have u spent $1000 on?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 9:42 am
Braces
Teffilin

lilies

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 9:46 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
I understand disney being a no but I thimk there should be more leeway. judaic art. great. piano lessons great... theres a big world outside of clothing and jewelry that isn't "non jewish"

True but overall there's less to splurge on.
Piano lessons wouldn't qualify as a one-time splurge would it?

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 10:18 am
maybe but a piano would Wink
I hear what you say though....

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 10:36 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Sukkah
Dinette set - none of our parents paid for furniture
Vacation

Why would your parents pay for them?

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 10:48 am
in some societies- not mine, the parents supposedly set the couple's house up including furniture, linen....

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 11:40 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Wow your story is beautiful (20k watch)!!

Could you share some tips how you were able to stay so strong without blaming him etc?

We had a discussion and made a conscious decision to work on our belief that everything is from Hashem. If you can bring yourself to this place, there is absolutely nothing to blame a human being for. The same Hashem who gave me my beautiful family and my life every day is the one who gives or doesn’t give money.

If you can truly give your worries over to Hashem it’s an unbelievable liberating feeling! You can feel your stress leaving your body! When one of us would start feeling down the other would remind, Hashem didn’t forget about us today. He gave us food to eat today and He will give us tomorrow.

We also tried very hard not to think about the future. Obviously that doesn’t mean spending every penny you have today, but why worry about rent next week? Hashem can’t send rent money? If today we have what we need today then for today we are good and we say thank you Hashem.

I would never want to go back to that place, but at the time Hashem was a constant presence in my life.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 11:56 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Because they've never come across it in real life. The only reason I didn't blink is because I work in the diamond industry and so I'm used to it. Many people are unaware of the cost of fine watches/diamond jewellery - I mean when it's above 15-20k.

Yes, I think this is probably why. Amongst my friends and colleagues there are a number people who invest in beautiful expensive watches. I don’t know/care about their motives, I’m just saying it’s not irregular.

professor

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 11:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
A different poster said they spent 1000 on a kids wardrobe
I'm trying to think what we ever spent 1k or more on.....
-a menorah
- car
- house
-braces
- plane tix for family to texas
- bris

Can't think of anything else in the last 10 yrs....

Whoa! A car? A house??? You can't buy that for $1000

mirror

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 10:47 pm
amother wrote:
A different poster said they spent 1000 on a kids wardrobe
I'm trying to think what we ever spent 1k or more on.....
-a menorah
- car
- house
-braces
- plane tix for family to texas
- bris

Can't think of anything else in the last 10 yrs....

professor wrote:
Whoa! A car? A house??? You can't buy that for $1000

But if she did, I'm offering $2,000 for it. Deal?

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 3:29 am
Apple stock. Stock split and it's at a low price. Finally at a stage where I have extra money to do this. (Took many many years) It's an investment for the future and if not for me, my kids.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 4:17 am
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
We had a discussion and made a conscious decision to work on our belief that everything is from Hashem. If you can bring yourself to this place, there is absolutely nothing to blame a human being for. The same Hashem who gave me my beautiful family and my life every day is the one who gives or doesn’t give money.

If you can truly give your worries over to Hashem it’s an unbelievable liberating feeling! You can feel your stress leaving your body! When one of us would start feeling down the other would remind, Hashem didn’t forget about us today. He gave us food to eat today and He will give us tomorrow.

We also tried very hard not to think about the future. Obviously that doesn’t mean spending every penny you have today, but why worry about rent next week? Hashem can’t send rent money? If today we have what we need today then for today we are good and we say thank you Hashem.

I would never want to go back to that place, but at the time Hashem was a constant presence in my life.

Can you please elaborate a little more?
I have such a hard time appreciating all the good we have.
For example what did you do to get to that point?
And when is it enough hishtadlus?
Also with money but other areas in life as well
At what point do I say I tried hard enough and now I leave it ALL up to Hashem?
I know you might not have the answers here but I believe it's a level of serenity I can't imagine reaching

ExtraCredit

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 4:38 am
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:

You sound amazing! You passed the nisayon with flying colors. Your DH is really lucky that you didn’t make him feel horrible for the situation you were in. Even though everything is bashert, men feel horrible when they don’t provide enough, so if a wife has a positive attitude it’s an unbelievable chesed.
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics