Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Covid positive
Previous  1  2  3

nchr

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 7:51 am
Raisin wrote:
There is also a possibility that the virus is less severe in the summer. So may be better to get it now then later in the winter.

Refuah Shleima! Make sure you know what to look out for in case symptoms get worse on yom tov.

The summer concept had to do with heat killing surface spread. Since we know surface spread is not a major factor in this outbreak, weather/temperature is not that relevant.

gold21

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 7:52 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Why do you have to send children to camp? You can take a vacation as a family, make excursions, do hikes in nature were you won't meet anybody. There is no necessity, during a pandemic, to mix so many children together.

Because Covid-19 was circulating quietly in the camps you promoted, while you claimed it was over and now it is back in the open for everyone to see...

I suppose you are one of the illegal camp promoters. It's interesting that their argument switches now quite smoothly from "there will be no second wave, we have herd immunity, Covid-19 is over" to "the 2nd wave was inevitable". The hypocrisy! The chutzpe of the argument!

Your reckless behavior caused the 2nd wave, and now you are telling us it was inevitable?

Because humans are social creatures. Children are social creatures. Mental health matters. So, let me ask you, is that what your family did? Make excursions? Do hikes in nature? Yes? I'm so glad that neither you nor your spouse need to work. How wonderful. And even better, your children have no need to socialize. Fantastic.

The camps I sent to were not illegal.

gold21

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 7:55 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I really hope that all the posters who were insisting that their kids go back to school, come hell or high water, are reading this right now.

OP, I wish you and your family a refuah sheleimah, and a happy and healthy new year. Hug

I insisted my children to back to school, and I am reading this right now.

Also, I am covid-cautious. I wear masks. I don't do stupid things. I don't attend large gatherings, kiddushim, or indoor simchos. Also, I am mental-health-conscious. I believe children should be in school. Yes. Facts. Because contrary to the way black and white thinkers think, I recognize the complexity of an issue where one's health is multi faceted and multi layered. Long term lockdown is extremely unhealthy. There, I said it, and it's the truth.

nchr

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 8:02 am
gold21 wrote:
I insisted my children to back to school, and I am reading this right now.

Also, I am covid-cautious. I wear masks. I don't do stupid things. I don't attend large gatherings, kiddushim, or indoor simchos. Also, I am mental-health-conscious. I believe children should be in school. Yes. Facts. Because contrary to the way black and white thinkers think, I recognize the complexity of an issue where one's health is multi faceted and multi layered. Long term lockdown is extremely unhealthy. There, I said it, and it's the truth.

I agree with more nuanced thinking and can relate to your post. I just don't think the mental health concerns are everyone's reality. I have a child who would benefit from lockdown and would thrive that way. He's attendinh cheder because that's what we do in our community but I think he would thrive not. I do think many people are thriving working from home as well. But I do recognize there are mental health stresses to a significant portion of the population.

gold21

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 8:17 am
nchr wrote:
I agree with more nuanced thinking and can relate to your post. I just don't think the mental health concerns are everyone's reality. I have a child who would benefit from lockdown and would thrive that way. He's attendinh cheder because that's what we do in our community but I think he would thrive not. I do think many people are thriving working from home as well. But I do recognize there are mental health stresses to a significant portion of the population.

Thanks.

Serious side effects of covid are not everyone's reality either, but we recognize it as an issue and do what we can to prevent it. It is considered a public health crisis even though the majority will not be severely impacted by covid.

It is normal, natural, and healthy to NEED to interact with others in-person instead of over a screen. Mental health, although more easily ignored, is so enmeshed with physical health.

I've been through all sorts of experiences, and at this point in my life, I know never to apologize for being open about what you need to feel psychologically and mentally healthy. Mental health matters. The things I would write off ten years ago I would never write off now.

arn

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 8:45 am
I knew there were risks sending to school, and I felt it was risk worth taking. I just wish ppl would take basic precautions outside school so wouldn’t spread so quickly.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 8:47 am
We are also in quarantine Sad
My son got the virus last week and Bh so far we are all fine. We’re trying to make the best of being in quarantine and hope our RH goes well! Bh my extended family took care of errands We needed so we have enough food. Good luck to all who are in the same boat!

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 9:10 am
arn wrote:
I knew there were risks sending to school, and I felt it was risk worth taking. I just wish ppl would take basic precautions outside school so wouldn’t spread so quickly.

Exactly. If schools are going to be open, we parents have a responsibility to be cautious. That’s part of the social contract. RS to everyone who is sick 🤕.

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 9:10 am
I honestly can’t even imagine my husband having to be in quarantine over rh. He is a serious davener who doesn’t leave shul the whole day, doesn’t eat before shofar, just spend the day wrapped in his Tallis, davening.
Then again, I guess it’s hard to believe that he davened every tefillah in the house on pesach... when men on the block asked him to help make a minyan outside, he refused saying it wasn’t safe so I guess he would do the right thing if he had to. Yomim noraim are something else though..
Anyway, I know this has nothing to do with anything- just thinking out loud

gold21

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 9:26 am
arn wrote:

Avoiding indoor simchos and kiddushim would help. The weather is still nice. Let's use it to our advantage. It kind of stinks to eat outdoors (bees) (I hate bees) but certainly covid stinks more. I don't think the masks or lack thereof in the grocery stores are what's at issue here, if you ask me (I know, you didn't ask me). I wear masks anyway, I don't want to take the risk. But a lot of outbreaks seem to be coming from indoor simchos and kiddushim.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 10:42 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Why do you have to send children to camp? You can take a vacation as a family, make excursions, do hikes in nature were you won't meet anybody. There is no necessity, during a pandemic, to mix so many children together.

Because Covid-19 was circulating quietly in the camps you promoted, while you claimed it was over and now it is back in the open for everyone to see...

I suppose you are one of the illegal camp promoters. It's interesting that their argument switches now quite smoothly from "there will be no second wave, we have herd immunity, Covid-19 is over" to "the 2nd wave was inevitable". The hypocrisy! The chutzpe of the argument!

Your reckless behavior caused the 2nd wave, and now you are telling us it was inevitable?

I'm not going to go through this *AGAIN*. It was debated all summer. Not interested in rehashing it.
Camps did not cause the 2nd wave. It was caused by people who traveled and brought it in from hotspots. The kids who spent 6 weeks together in a closed environment did not bring in the 2nd wave. The consensus is that the 2nd wave started from weddings that were attended by people from out of town.
A 2nd wave was inevitable bc of travel. We live in a big country and travel is not restricted. People are not keeping the quarantine rules when they return from hotspots. At some point, there would be a 2nd wave.
At least during the lull in the storm, we were able to have some normalcy. If we would be so restricted all this time, and still experience this 2nd wave -- due to travelers not listening!!! -- there would be even more collateral damage than there already is. The fallout of this virus is really bad on the mental health and social skills of growing kids.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for taking precautions and being careful. I'm not one of those ppl who denies the virus exists. I am more realistic than anyone I know in my community!
I'm just saying, I'm really happy our kids at least had a normal summer, after the crazy spring they had, and who knows what else is coming up this winter...

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 10:43 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Didn't Cuomo says schools can stay open unless positivity rate reaches 9%. It's unlikely to go that high in NY, especially if people wear masks.

Unfortunately between the current spike in the frum community and the spike that will inevitably come from public schools reopening, there is a pretty decent chance that we'll reach 9% at some point and there will be a 2nd school shutdown. I truly hope and pray it won't come to be.

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 10:51 am
Mama Bear wrote:
I'm not going to go through this *AGAIN*. It was debated all summer. Not interested in rehashing it.
Camps did not cause the 2nd wave. It was caused by people who traveled and brought it in from hotspots. The kids who spent 6 weeks together in a closed environment did not bring in the 2nd wave. The consensus is that the 2nd wave started from weddings that were attended by people from out of town.
A 2nd wave was inevitable bc of travel. We live in a big country and travel is not restricted. People are not keeping the quarantine rules when they return from hotspots. At some point, there would be a 2nd wave.
At least during the lull in the storm, we were able to have some normalcy. If we would be so restricted all this time, and still experience this 2nd wave -- due to travelers not listening!!! -- there would be even more collateral damage than there already is. The fallout of this virus is really bad on the mental health and social skills of growing kids.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for taking precautions and being careful. I'm not one of those ppl who denies the virus exists. I am more realistic than anyone I know in my community!
I'm just saying, I'm really happy our kids at least had a normal summer, after the crazy spring they had, and who knows what else is coming up this winter...

I agree it’s pointless to talk about the summer. We should talk about the here and now. Indoor gatherings, meals and shul are easy ways to spread Covid. Ideally, do things outside, and if inside wear a mask. Cvs not, but we could be on the edge of another outbreak. So let’s try to prevent that. Shana Tova!

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 10:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I just tested positive for covid. Caught it from my son who got it in school. A kid in his class supposedly got it when they went to the bungalow last week with a big kiddush where many people got it. Now the entire class can’t go to shul rh, 4 kids in the class got it that I know of, another classmates parents got it.... I’m really sad. Just feel like I’ve tried so hard to be careful to protect my family, but if other families Aren’t careful, this is where we end up. BH I’m feeling pretty mild symptoms right now, but of course I’m worried. And feel terrible that my family will prob not have the best yt. Anybody else going into rh in quarantine? How can I make it a positive experience?

Refuah shleima. My bracha is that you and your family have mild cases, and a happy, healthy sweet new year.

Can you order takeout? Or have friends bring you food, if you can't cook. Then relax, and do your best to enjoy your family and the peace of the chag. Daven if you can, but give yourself a break. See if someone can blow shofar outside your home.

nchr

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 11:22 am
Mama Bear wrote:
Unfortunately between the current spike in the frum community and the spike that will inevitably come from public schools reopening, there is a pretty decent chance that we'll reach 9% at some point and there will be a 2nd school shutdown. I truly hope and pray it won't come to be.

As far as I am aware, most epidemiologists are not predicting that as a likely scenario for NYC, although I can it is technically possible but I wouldn't count on it, especially if people wear masks.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 11:29 am
I'm be interested to hear from a single person who believes in a full shutdown when their income and financial survival depends on the economy being open. I have a feeling that close to 100% of those who want the shutdown, sustain themselves from jobs that don't require an open economy or government programs. If any of you were on the other side, you'd change your tune real quick.

amother
White

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 11:34 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I'm be interested to hear from a single person who believes in a full shutdown when their income and financial survival depends on the economy being open. I have a feeling that close to 100% of those who want the shutdown, sustain themselves from jobs that don't require an open economy or government programs. If any of you were on the other side, you'd change your tune real quick.

No one wants a shutdown. No matter their source of parnassah. Even if they believe it is effective in slowing the spread, they understand it's an absolute last resort with lots of consequences.

Some people can think in shades of grey and some people can't.

If I wear a mask, avoid crowds, keep simchos small, daven in small minyan, support safety measures in schools, etc, I'm helping to avoid a spike that might force a shutdown.

If I insist on going back to normal, there might be dangerous consequences to life and livelihood that are out of our control.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 4:34 pm
nchr wrote:
As far as I am aware, most epidemiologists are not predicting that as a likely scenario for NYC, although I can it is technically possible but I wouldn't count on it, especially if people wear masks.

ahhh but the epidomologists don't know the mentality of our communities. LOL.
I dont think there will be a full shutdown for society, I'm saying that schools might be shut down.
I'm hoping it won't happen. I'm expecting the worst and hoping for the best.
In countries that had similar terrible outcomes like NY, I havent read anything about a worse or as-bad 2nd wave. So I'm hoepful...

arn

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 5:00 pm
None of us wants a shutdown. That’s exactly the point. Let’s not try to be smarter than everybody else. Let’s listen to the doctors advising us to take basic measures to limit the spread. Let’s take small steps to keep our kids safely in school BH! A shana Tovah to all.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics