Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts
Feminizing lyrics to popular songs

mommyhood

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 12:20 pm
I’ve started following Jewish female singers on instagram and there were times where they sing a cover of a popular song (composed and sung by a male) but they feminized the lyrics. I found it strange to hear a song I know sung ‘wrong’ and I find myself skipping it but maybe those who actually understand the lyrics better appreciate it, I’m curious to hear your thoughts.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 12:26 pm
If the message is kosher, and the music is pleasing, then I don't have a problem with it.

ETA: I really hope that they are not violating anyone else's recording rights. Piracy is a big thing, and it's actual stealing. If they are just singing for fun that's one thing, but as soon as they earn a single penny, it's illegal and against halacha.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 12:33 pm
I would find it annoying simply as the words are wrong, not that there's anything inherently wrong with the song. There's songs that the singer themselves will adapt at times for different occasions, where they change up the lyrics.
What bothers me more are the songs that are sung by male singers that are female songs, and they will sing lyrics saying they are female etc.

Java

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 12:53 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
I would find it annoying simply as the words are wrong, not that there's anything inherently wrong with the song. There's songs that the singer themselves will adapt at times for different occasions, where they change up the lyrics.
What bothers me more are the songs that are sung by male singers that are female songs, and they will sing lyrics saying they are female etc.

Hahaha I love this too
"Sarah Schenirer taught me how to be a mother and a wife"
"Will I ever be a mother..."

malki2

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 12:54 pm
Like “Here Come Pesach Blues,” sung by a man who says that he happens to be a woman??

singleagain

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 12:56 pm
malki2 wrote:
Like “Here Come Pesach Blues,” sung by a man who says that he happens to be a woman??

That's been driving me nuts since I was a kid

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 1:05 pm
It’s like listening to a sound track when you know the original cast one by heart. The nuances are different.

cbsp

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 1:15 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
If the message is kosher, and the music is pleasing, then I don't have a problem with it.

ETA: I really hope that they are not violating anyone else's recording rights. Piracy is a big thing, and it's actual stealing. If they are just singing for fun that's one thing, but as soon as they earn a single penny, it's illegal and against halacha.

FF, did you have a problem with Neil Diamond singing "I Dreamed a Dream"? I think he switched the pronouns... And probably made a pretty penny singing his version in recordings and concerts...

cbsp

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 1:21 pm
malki2 wrote:

That one actually didn't bother me so much since it was obviously over the top parodying fun.

V'zakeini (the one from several years ago), though, did. To me it's a private tefillah said mostly by a woman...

FWIW, the Sarah Scheneirer song by Deena Storch was on an album of her songs sung by men with her blessings and guidance. It was a way for her to disseminate her music. I think changing the lyrics to fit the gender of the singer would have missed the point of the album...

zaq

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 3:10 pm
As a person who has been saying MODAH ani since day one, I must obviously answer no, it doesn’t, as long as they get the grammar right.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts