Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Do your kids ask permission?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 1:43 am
I sometimes feel bad that a child will find me to ask me if they can have a .... banana. Or an apple. I don't think of myself as controlling.
I try to repeat the rule that healthy things they can take whenever they want. And unhealthy things just ask themselves to re-think if this is a good time for it.
I rarely criticize their food choices.

camp123

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 2:32 am
I'm curious. Those whose kids don't ask even for junk food. Do they end up taking too much junk?

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 5:27 am
Mostly they're free to take, but anyone who finished (or almost finishes) something is expected to write it on the shopping list so that I know to buy it next time. This applies to communally used items like toothpaste or shower gel as well. If you don't write it on the list, it is your fault that we don't have it in the house next week! Older children, of course, and the list is put up on the fridge every week. It took a certain amount of time, but now it works well.

I've sometimes found some interesting things written on the list, that are not standard household items. It remains at my discretion whether I not I buy everything!

amother
White

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 6:31 am
If its in the house its free for the taking.

Im generally a healthy cook but we also keep nosh in the house like potato chips, pretzels etc.
Everyone enjoys snacking on vegetables, cut up fruit, cheese string. Ive never had a problem that a kids dinner appetite was spoiled by eating fruit or a snack beforehand

Maybe its a cultural thing. Were sefardi... I would never dream of having anyone asking my permission to take food. are most of the comments here from women of ashkenazi descent?

Is this what it was like in your house too (growing up) ?

renslet

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 7:10 am
Since covid and the no school situation (school here still hasn't restarted) I feel like the kids (all under 10) eat all day.
I definitely want them to ask, the little ones cuz if they eat right before meals they will not eat the meal and the older ones because I'd like to have an idea of what is in the closets and what needs to be replaced.
This is with fruits veg, pickles, corn, olives etc
Also when all snack type foods are available, do you find that kids eat more or does it settle to a normal amount.
I give two nash snacks a day but if I had it all open for taking they wouldn't stop.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 7:22 am
camp123 wrote:
I'm curious. Those whose kids don't ask even for junk food. Do they end up taking too much junk?

No. I teach them from very early on to eat when they’re hungry and stop when they’re full. Also, since everything is easy to reach, it becomes pretty boring to them.

behappy2

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 8:32 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
No. I teach them from very early on to eat when they’re hungry and stop when they’re full. Also, since everything is easy to reach, it becomes pretty boring to them.

There are kids that have addictive tendencies. To sugar and white flour.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 8:37 am
behappy2 wrote:

BH not my kids. I’m not sure what I would do in that situation, tbh

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 8:44 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
If its in the house its free for the taking.

Im generally a healthy cook but we also keep nosh in the house like potato chips, pretzels etc.
Everyone enjoys snacking on vegetables, cut up fruit, cheese string. Ive never had a problem that a kids dinner appetite was spoiled by eating fruit or a snack beforehand

Maybe its a cultural thing. Were sefardi... I would never dream of having anyone asking my permission to take food. are most of the comments here from women of ashkenazi descent?

Is this what it was like in your house too (growing up) ?

I’m ashkenazi- yeshivish. If it’s in my house then my kids can have. I grew up in a super restrictive house with regards to food and I do the opposite. My kids have such a healthy mindset towards food .

Teomima

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 9:10 am
I don't buy food I don't want them to eat. If they need help with anything, they'll ask. But it's not like I have cake sitting around on the counter or pudding in the fridge. If I've make something special, like muffins, then they're free to eat that, too.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 9:13 am
behappy2 wrote:
yes, this. I would love to be less strict about kids helping themselves but mine wouldn’t know how to stop.

chocolatecake

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 9:37 am
My oldest is 7. Fruits, vegetables, cheese, crackers are easily accessible and my kids just take. The cookie jar is only full on shabbos and its kept on the counter so my kids sometimes ask sometimes not but I don't make a fuss cuz its only Shabbos. Snack bags candy etc is not so accessible and they have to ask first.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics