Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Is Pumpkin pie a dessert, or can it be used as a side dish?
Previous  1  2

Iymnok

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 11:52 am
Cut out at least half the sugar, bake it in a 9x13 and cut it in squares then you could call it a Kugel.

Amarante

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 12:18 pm
Pumpkin pie is a dessert. I ave never been offered it as a side and if you look at Thanksgiving menus, it is always offered as a side.

There might be recipes in which pumpkin is treated as some form of savory side but the American style pie is a dessert.

Sweet potato casserole is generally the side dish which uses a sweet component but a lot of people don’t like the extremely sweet version with marshmallows and pineapple. Candied yams are less over the top sweet.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 2:03 pm
boysrus wrote:
Thanks so much everyone. Seems like opinion is divided on this Smile
I will use it as a side, and I look forward to seeing the reactions of my shabbos guests lol!

So I'm curious. If you're serving all the sweet things as side dishes, what do you serve for dessert?

greengrapes

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 2:13 pm
Can someone post a recipe for pumpkin pie? All this talk is making me want to try it! Lol

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 5:15 pm
I don't believe in sweet side dishes except lokshen kugel, so I reserve for dessert both punkin pie and that dish everyone calls cranberry kugel (made with apples, oatmeal and cranberry sauce). But you do you. If I were your guest and you served them as side dishes, you wouldn't be forcing me to put them on my plate with the turkey, would you?

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 5:18 pm
Elfrida wrote:
So I'm curious. If you're serving all the sweet things as side dishes, what do you serve for dessert?

Even sweeter things, presumably. Parve ice cream, seven-layer cake, and chocolate-covered marzipan, maybe.

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 5:24 pm
Except for pizza, any pie can be served as desert or at any time during a meal.

Amarante

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:21 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
Except for pizza, any pie can be served as desert or at any time during a meal.

There is actually dessert pizza - one kind is a giant sugar cookie with toppings that look like pizza and the other is a chocolate base - also with topping that look like pizza.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics