Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Mom vs dad watching kids
Previous  1  2

Debbie

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 2:52 pm
[quote="amother [ Aubergine ]"]Wow it’s such a pet peeve of some... I’m op of the pta thread and I davka used the term babysitting because that’s the time DH is at work so if he’s home with them instead it’s more like making sure everyone stays alive, whereas I’d be trying to get housework done too or dinner up whatever.

This makes me think of a picture I saw called 'multi tasking mummy'
She was stirring a pot on the stove, holding a baby under her arm had another child hanging on to her ankle and was generally trying to do half a dozen things at once.
I guess many of us can relate to that.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 3:30 pm
society in general (and not just frum society, secular too) tends to hail dads as heroes for doing basic every day stuff and not think twice when moms do it... a dad dropping off his kid to school is Father of The Year

This. Because society in general STILL thinks that childcare is a woman's job, period. We should perhaps consider it a compliment that we are seen as so competent that anything we do is taken for granted but dads are considered so helpless that if they don't send the kids to school with their undies on their heads and socks on their ears they're hailed as Wonder Dads. But it's not much of a compliment to us and it's pretty insulting to the dads.

What used to irritate me like mad was when I'd travel for work overnight or for a week, ppl would ask me "what will your dh eat when you're gone?" as if he's incapable of opening a can of tuna or even ordering in in a big city with multiple kosher restaurants. In all the years, no one ever asked me "What are you going to eat when you're away?" Given that I wasn't traveling to Jerusalem or New York City but to places like Painted Post, NY and Sahuarita, AZ, and without a car, the answer was usually pita and peanut butter brought from home plus Coke and potato chips from the motel vending machines, unless I was lucky enough to find a supermarket within walking distance where I could buy some fresh produce. But I'm a woman and therefore the assumption is that I can do just fine without food for a three-to-five-day business trip, whereas my dh is a man and thus incapable of feeding himself in a land of plenty. And what makes things worse is that the so-sensitive people asking me about my poor abandoned dh dietary plans were all women!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics