Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Cold remedies for 4 month old

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 7:00 am
Is there anything to do?
This is the 1st time (b"h) he's sick since he was born. It's been more than a decade since my last baby and I feel like a first time mom all again.
Was at the doctor yesterday because he was cranky and not himself but no real cold symptoms. Dr said it's just viral whatever it is. His chest ears nose throat was all fine.
After coming home he started with the runny nose and cough and he's nebach so miserable.
When I give him Tylenol he's a little calmer. What else is there to do? Can babies that young have vitamin c or the likes? Would a humidifier help even if he's not dry? His nose is so runny he wakes up constantly. It's not congested, just runny.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 7:04 am
He doesn’t sound that uncomfortable if he’s not congested but (and defer to your pediatrician) we do ‘shvitzes’, Vick’s and saline. But your Ped can advise you best. (My baby has had a cold since he was 2 weeks old and he was a preemie. We lived in a shvitz over sukkos)

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 7:04 am
you can smear something on his chest. call health food store. Also you could use humidifier and saline spray. If you are nursing you can take vitamin c and antiviral herbs and it will pass to baby.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 7:09 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
He doesn’t sound that uncomfortable if he’s not congested but (and defer to your pediatrician) we do ‘shvitzes’, Vick’s and saline. But your Ped can advise you best. (My baby has had a cold since he was 2 weeks old and he was a preemie. We lived in a shvitz over sukkos)

He breathes through his nose, so I hear the runniness of the mucus with every breath in and out. And then he coughs. He wakes up frequently when he sleeps.
Do I need to go back to the pediatrician just for a cold?
I just feel so bad for him (and myself haha because I was up every half hour at night rocking him back to sleep).

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 7:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He breathes through his nose, so I hear the runniness of the mucus with every breath in and out. And then he coughs. He wakes up frequently when he sleeps.
Do I need to go back to the pediatrician just for a cold?
I just feel so bad for him (and myself haha because I was up every half hour at night rocking him back to sleep).

I’m sure you can speak to your pediatrician on the phone about remedies. But also at this age it will pass quite quickly. Definitely within a week likely less

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 7:12 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
you can smear something on his chest. call health food store. Also you could use humidifier and saline spray. If you are nursing you can take vitamin c and antiviral herbs and it will pass to baby.

What will smearing on the chest accomplish? Does that help the coughing? It's not a constant or dry cough but more of a wet mucusy cough. He'll mostly cough when he's crying too much or is eating and starts burping which ends in a cough.
I'm bottle feeding only.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 7:14 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
I’m sure you can speak to your pediatrician on the phone about remedies. But also at this age it will pass quite quickly. Definitely within a week likely less

Probably true. I should just call.
A week is so long! He's been uncomfortable (waking up a lot at night) but not sick since Monday and the cold symptoms only came out yesterday. Poor kid.
I know it's not the worst but he was such a happy baby that slept 8 hour nights till now!

sari00

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 7:44 am
Speak with your pediatrician... my baby had a cold, she only provided tele health- but after 2 weeks of ongoing congestion and not sleeping- eating properly... I requested a visit... BH my baby's well... always good to be on the safe side..
We used saline drops and the frida baby nasal aspirator... pediatrician didn't recommend Tylenol without a fever...

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 8:55 am
Use saline all day long. At least every hour. And you can use a nose frida to suction, but not too often or he'll get irritated. Also, you should not be giving tylenol unless the pediatrician said to use it to reduce fever. Otherwise it does nothing for a cold and should be used very sparingly for young infants.

shanarishona

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 11:08 am
Vicks vapo rub is not for young children

They sell a vicks baby rub

Talk to your doctor about what things are ok or not.

It’s really hard. They’re so little and they feel so yucky. I hope he feels better soon
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics