Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Missed 3 pickups, Sanitation says short on manpower. Why?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 7:59 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
I keep my garbage by the curb full time by now. Sometimes they'll come spontaneously at midnight or 3 am.

They ticket us if we dare not notice 10 minutes after they pick up on our non-usual day 🤦‍♀️

mfb

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 8:18 am
Our garbage for Thursday got picked up shabbos and I just saw a garbage truck picking up on a block that’s supposed to have been picked up friday

fleetwood

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 8:19 am
mfb wrote:
Our garbage for Thursday got picked up shabbos and I just saw a garbage truck picking up on a block that’s supposed to have been picked up friday

Our day is Tuesday!! Recycling too!! No truck!!Why why why!!!

freilich

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 8:39 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
I think it’s because of the snow. At some point one of my garbage truck workers told me he was working 28 days straight.. he was doing garbage pickup on sunday! (Brooklyn)
Maybe now they all took a vacation..
But yes this week its crazy, hate when the animals get to my bags..

And this just emphasizes the 3rd world country we live in.

NYC can you just pick yourself up by your bootstraps and get your act together?

This is something that occurs on a yearly basis. Has zero to do with covid.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 8:52 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
They ticket us if we dare not notice 10 minutes after they pick up on our non-usual day 🤦‍♀️

We've been lucky so far

But... the truck came! It really did!

doodlesmom

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 9:17 am
Trucks came here in the early AM! Bh!
My neighbors recycling actually went up in flames on Shabbos, probably due to a cigarette butt, and his car burned down!!!

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 9:23 am
mfb wrote:

Our garbage from Thursday is still overflowing on the curb. There's garbage all over the street since animals are tearing the bags open.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 10:32 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
I keep my garbage by the curb full time by now. Sometimes they'll come spontaneously at midnight or 3 am.

Not so lucky. Whey they finally come it's during morning bus route madness, blocking off the entire street for a half hour since their is so much garbage after not coming in a while.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 10:37 am
We live in a different city in NY and lately our mail doesn’t come many days in a row. Same excuse.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 10:41 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Not so lucky. Whey they finally come it's during morning bus route madness, blocking off the entire street for a half hour since their is so much garbage after not coming in a while.

I know all about that. I've lived through years of the bus refusing to come to my block because of the regular morning garbage pickup. I don't live on a narrow street. Why was my block different than every other block in town.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 10:43 am
Btw someone tell me why they can't plow snow and pickup garbage at the same time? The plows are at the front of the truck. Not that there's any snow now but when there is.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 10:46 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Btw someone tell me why they can't plow snow and pickup garbage at the same time? The plows are at the front of the truck. Not that there's any snow now but when there is.

Sometimes in heavy snow the garbage bags are covered with a thick layer of snow and it's hard to find the bags. But only after a real snow storm.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 11:03 am
DeBlasio cut the budget. They'll never admit it, but they're skipping many pickups. We have piles in front.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 12:32 pm
ra_mom wrote:
DeBlasio cut the budget. They'll never admit it, but they're skipping many pickups. We have piles in front.

How will our politicians come through for us in BP (before we get buried in garbage and it causes an unhealthy situation, etc), what is their plan?

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 12:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How will our politicians come through for us in BP (before we get buried in garbage and it causes an unhealthy situation, etc), what is their plan?

It's not just Jewish neighborhoods. My brother is in Jackson Heights and it's there, too. I live near Gowanus, here too.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 12:42 pm
How many pickups have they skipped?

For us its 3 and its really piling up.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 12:43 pm
I live in NYS OOT.

We have occasionally had mail and garbage pick up delays/issues.

When the crew gets hit with COVID, entire operations often get shut down.

COVID is still a reality.

It is still possible for teams to get sick or be put in quarantine due to a team member.

I agree one should inform the authorities that the service is not being provided because of course, this may not be due to COVID.

But, to those who doubt if COVID is still contributing, yes it is.

My entire household was home for days pending a COVID test...and that one came back negative! But, my not showing up for work in person doesn't cause mail or trash pick up delays. These are human beings with families too who deliver the mail and pick up the garbage.

There are also other illnesses going around now that a)look like covid so they require testing/temporary quarantining and b)are contagious--and people need to now more than ever stay home (as they should always do when sick with something ostensibly contagious--like a cold or other virus).

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 12:48 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
I live in NYS OOT.

We have occasionally had mail and garbage pick up delays/issues.

When the crew gets hit with COVID, entire operations often get shut down.

COVID is still a reality.

It is still possible for teams to get sick or be put in quarantine due to a team member.

I agree one should inform the authorities that the service is not being provided because of course, this may not be due to COVID.

But, to those who doubt if COVID is still contributing, yes it is.

My entire household was home for days pending a COVID test...and that one came back negative! But, my not showing up for work in person doesn't cause mail or trash pick up delays. These are human beings with families too who deliver the mail and pick up the garbage.

There are also other illnesses going around now that a)look like covid so they require testing/temporary quarantining and b)are contagious--and people need to now more than ever stay home (as they should always due when sick with something ostensibly contagious--like a cold or other virus).

It may be Covid related, it may not. Some think its DeBlasios budget cuts. Backups/subs for sanitation workers shouldnt be that hard to find, they dont need years of med school.

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 12:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It may be Covid related, it may not. Some think its DeBlasios budget cuts. Backups/subs for sanitation workers shouldnt be that hard to find, they dont need years of med school.

Pretty sure they need Union guys for this.

I live in Deblasio's nabe, Chuck Shumer's nabe too. We are desperate for a pick up.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 12:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

These aren't per diem workers usually, they are city employees/civil servants. They aren't just day laborers, so you can't just hire and fire to surge and flex headcount usually. The tone here doesn't seem to reflect understanding labor laws or respecting those who perform manual labor.

Of course it may not be due to COVID, and that's why mail not being delivered or trash not being picked up should be reported to the authorities in charge so they know there is a performance issue and address if possible and in their control.

But, yes, COVID is still a thing, and there are other colds/viruses/illnesses going around too that in the current climate, will take out a whole team for at least a few days or more since they look like COVID, are contagious, and will take people out of work anyways while they are ill.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries