Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Oxygen meter numbers fluctuate

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 4:25 pm
When I take oxygen on meter sometimes it’s very low but the number keeps changing. One second it can be 93, the next 97. How do I know what’s accurate?

Also, heart rate is above 100 sometimes, is that cause for concern?

mfb

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 4:30 pm
Does it start at 93 and then go up or is it going up and down?

elsily

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 4:36 pm
Are you moving around at all or staying still and watching it? 93 is still within the range of normal, but obviously you want to be as close to 100 as possible.

naomi2

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 4:37 pm
Try a different finger and see if it stays the same number throughout the day

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 4:42 pm
I would keep it on for a minute until it settles on a number. If it consistently stays below 93, ask your doctor.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 6:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
When I take oxygen on meter sometimes it’s very low but the number keeps changing. One second it can be 93, the next 97. How do I know what’s accurate?

Also, heart rate is above 100 sometimes, is that cause for concern?

It might not be a good read . Is it the finger monitor or does it have a screen with lines on the side so you can see if it’s getting a good read?

How much higher than 100 is pulse? Also keep in mind that if you have fever, pain, are moving around or you’re just anxious- it will also increase your hr and depending how elevated it is- might be perfectly fine.

Are you in touch with your doc to see what your ideal o2 sats should be when awake and what it’s ok to drop to during sleep? 93 consistently might need more monitoring- depending on your situation.

Refuah sheleima

RGoldblum

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 6:48 pm
Im a RN, and those little oximeters are notoriously finnicky. If you have cold fingers, have on nail polish or don't have a good connection in the clip part, it can read weird. One way to make sure the number you are seeing is accurate is to see the waveform. Most home oximeters have a wave form and as long as it is uniform and not choppy looking, it is getting a good read.

If your heart rate is above 100, make sure you aren't measuring it when you are out of breath or have reasonably elevated HR (just walked up 5 flights of stairs). If it still says over 100 consistently, you should tell your doc. Sometimes it can be due to medications or too much caffiene.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 9:00 pm
I have an oximeter that does the same thing! You cant really use it when you're walking or talking etc... it usually doesn't read it properly.
My pulmonologist told me to sit or stand still for a minute and then check the reading, if its normal you're fine. Also take normal breaths when using it

Redbird

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 9:02 pm
I was told that the numbers go down if you're dehydrated
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics