Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Can you help me with numbers?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 11:13 pm
I'm so bad at quantities. Making a bar mitzvah Friday night meal for 45 people, 15 are kids under 12.
How much of each dip? (3 or 4 total)
How much kugel?
How much rice?
How many Apple kugel muffins?
The bigger issue is the proteins:
Having gefilte fish, salmon, chicken cutkets in sauce, spice rubbed chicken thighs, roast..... How much of each do I need???
Thanks so much for your help!!!

effess

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 11:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm so bad at quantities. Making a bar mitzvah Friday night meal for 45 people, 15 are kids under 12.
How much of each dip? (3 or 4 total) depending on the dip, and how popular they are I’d suggest a quart minimum per dip.
How much kugel? 3 9x 13 pans
How much rice? 6 cups raw will get you far enough
How many Apple kugel muffins?
The bigger issue is the proteins:
Having gefilte fish 5 rolls
salmon, 3 sides
chicken cutkets in sauce, spice rubbed chicken thighs, roast..... How much of each do I need??? How many meat proteins are you having? If all three then you need less, if one or two, it’s a different calculation.
Thanks so much for your help!!!

I’ll help with some but I err on the side of more. Amounts are in your quoted text.

amother
Crocus

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 8:46 am
Exactly! You can have leftovers! It depends how you putting out dips. Taking a large chumps and dividing it into small bowls all around the table. Same with 2 l-3 other dips like matbucha and tomato dip. Are you giving each person a small piece of salmon and gefilte fish? Or a choice? I like leftovers for shalosh seudos. Many people aren't so hungry by main course. So it depends how you serve it.

Highstrung

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 8:52 am
What I do is if I have 45 people I’ll make 45 chicken cutlets , 35 chicken legs and enough roast for everyone . There will for sure be leftovers . Which is fine. But I want to make sure that I have enough just incase everyone likes the same thing or wants from both. That means you’ll have supper in your freezer for days you don’t want to cook.
)make sure to put into the freezer on Friday night whatever is leftover)
I serve dinner style and not individual servings .

I’ve found salmon goes quicker than Gefilte . I’d make 4 rolls of Gefilte since most rolls are for around 10 slices . Which would cover 40 people .
Same with salmon. I’m sure there will be kids who won’t want fish at all . So 40 appetizer size slices should be enough for one meal.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 6:06 pm
Do any of these numbers change if I'm doing platters?

mushkamothers

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 6:41 pm
Kids are half a portion so 30 adults and 15 kids is about 40 adults, generously.

A big mistake people make is making sure every single dish feeds every single person. In reality every dish can feed 3/4 the amount because people don't eat every single thing. And you'll still have leftovers. That's been my experience cooking for huge crowds. I still go over every time and every time I realize this.

1 salmon filet feeds at least 10 adults (3 filet should be fine especially of there's gefilte. Btw leftover gefilte that's cooked can be frozen)

Chicken on bone, cut in half before you serve (or buy separate legs/thighs)

Amount of dips depends on how much challah you're putting out and if you want people to get full on challah.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics