Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
If you traveled for LEISURE in the last year...
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 4:22 am
ora_43 wrote:
Because if we do one dangerous thing, we should go ahead and do all of the dangerous things. Makes sense.

Anyway, the issue here is that there is no one person who is like "hur dur masks everywhere, no stores, but planes are fine." There are a whole bunch of different groups and interests competing, with different politicians and enforcement agencies making the call. No, it doesn't make sense to avoid sending your toddler to daycare and then take them on a plane. But nobody ever said it did. It's just that shutting down a daycare and banning passenger flights are two different things controlled by two totally different administrative bodies.

Not sure if I should confuse that point with another, but I'm going to go ahead and try: sometimes there are good reasons to allow one thing and ban another even when both are equally dangerous, when other values come into play. Like, davening outside rather than inside is going to cause mild discomfort; shutting down daycares means dozens of people can't work. Shutting down massage parlors is irritating and causes financial harm to the masseuse; shutting down a therapist's office could be life or death. Etc. Air travel isn't necessary, in most cases, but airlines are a vital national industry, so the risk may be counterbalanced by the gain here in ways it isn't when it comes to other industries.

Or maybe I'm just wokey dokey Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I think you missed the point.
It’s not that because people are doing something wrong, we can all do whatever we want.

But those mask police who are obsessed with non maskers anywhwere, then go on to travel for no important reason, cramped into tiny quarters, are big fools and liars.
That’s it. That was the message here.

singleagain

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 4:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
But those mask police who are obsessed with non maskers anywhwere, then go on to travel for no important reason, cramped into tiny quarters, are big fools and liars.

Are you so sure the mask police are the same ones who are traveling for leisure?

Usually it's not the same ppl

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 4:26 am
Haven't taken a plane or train or bus until I got vaccinated for this reason.

What are you trying to gain by posting this?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 5:05 am
V

ora_43

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 6:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I think you missed the point.
It’s not that because people are doing something wrong, we can all do whatever we want.

I don't think I know a single person like that. The people traveling for leisure are mostly either people who aren't so careful, or who have already been sick or vaccinated.

Although if someone like that does exist, I don't see any hypocrisy. They're saying people should obey the rules. I think a solid argument could be made for following rules even if they don't make sense to you personally, for multiple reasons.

And again, there's the cost/benefit analysis. Wearing a mask is a smaller sacrifice than avoiding travel. There's also the difference between potentially exposing people to the virus at school or at a grocery store (places people have to be) vs on a plane (where people presumably have more choice). It's not so hard (for me, at least) to picture a non-fool, non-liar who thinks it's important to wear a mask at the grocery store, but is still planning to fly to a sibling's wedding.

imasinger

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 7:37 am
OP, I challenge both the logic of your post, and its lack of compassion.

The logic issue: People who are careful about masking, and have traveled, are careful about testing and isolating. Where I live, people are careful. Any of my friends who travelled for pleasure tested before they left, masked in public while traveling (including adults staying double masked for a flight and not eating), and isolated and tested per state and school/shul rules before being around their community after they got back.

The compassion issue. I understand that you don't like it that others have an issue with something you are doing (not masking in public), and complain about it to you or on this board. You can choose to be swayed by those complaints, or not. But lashing out at those who both mask and travel as hypocrites is both unproductive, and not compassionate. If you feel bad that others aren't sympathetic to your viewpoint, then going on the attack is not going to promote a better conversation.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 9:41 am
Previous posters said it better than I can. The people who are being careful are not the people who are flying off on vacation.

We have not gone anywhere in a year other than outdoor visits with family in the tri-state area and outdoor locations such as parks, botanical gardens, and zoos with limited capacity so they're not crowded. Our kids are in school but the schools are following covid protocols with masks, SD, plexiglass separations for eating, and air filtration systems. None of my kid's classes have been quarantined because of covid b"ah. We do not allow indoor play dates. We do not eat out but we do occasionally do curbside pickup of takeout.

DH and I are now vaccinated so we will be able to spend Pesach with local family but we wouldn't fly in order to do so yet. We have not stopped wearing masks. We have not really relaxed our precautions because our kids are still at risk. We're all doing fine. The kids see their friends at school and once it warms up again we can do outdoor play dates. We have no plans to travel until the pandemic is under control. Maybe we'll be able to do a road trip at the end of the summer. That would be nice.

DrMom

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 9:47 am
singleagain wrote:
Are you so sure the mask police are the same ones who are traveling for leisure?

Usually it's not the same ppl

This (at least among people I know).

Of course, there are plenty of politicians who imposed measures to deal with covid which they themselves do not follow (you know who you are, Gavin Newsom).

That does not mean the rules are necessarily wrong, just that there are many birdbrained elitists in power.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 10:44 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Why do you think the mask police was flying for leisure purposes?
Have you come across someone like that in real life?

Yes. When we flew, my mask was on my chin as we deplaned. A mask policer yelled at me and threatened me and went to tell the agent by the gate when you come out of the plane, to talk to me
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics