Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Problem focusing

amother

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 9:58 pm
My 5 year old girl has problem focusing in school and at home. She starts to color and then wanders to the next room. This repeats it self in dressing, eating....

Please respect my annon. since I discussed this with some ladies and would like to remain annon. on this forum.
[/I]

amother

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 10:25 pm
how is she during mat time? Can she sit and listen?

If you ask her to get something for you or do something does she get "lost" on the way?

can she find things easily or keeps saying "I can't find it" even when its right in front of her"

want to give us more details? Wink

pina colada

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 10:28 pm
If she is having difficulty in school, you can have her evaluated through the Board of Ed. Long and tiresome process. You can also call Eitzah for some advice. PM me if you need the number.

cassandra

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 10:41 pm
You can't diagnose ADD until she is at least 6 since until then it can still be considered age-appropriate behavior.

That being said, I'm going through the same thing with my daughter who is turning 6, and she is being evaluated.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 10:44 pm
I don't think she add.
She is seeing a therapist in school, but I would love to work at home with her.
I spoke to the therapist and all her ideas where not new to me.
If anyone has any ideas how I can help her deal better and focus better I would really appreciate it.

She wonders a lot around school. At home she likes to jump from one thing to the next. At the shabbos meal she is always walking around touching things. Her morah complains that she touches everyone elses things and the teachers desk all the time.

Any sugg.?

cassandra

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 10:46 pm
What kind of therapist does she see in school? OT? She might need more than what they are giving her through the board of ed.

MOM222

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 10:47 pm
-

Last edited by MOM222 on Wed, Mar 05 2008, 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 10:49 pm
I pay for it privatly.
She is a social /play therapist.

cassandra

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 10:51 pm
Why does she need play therapy? The touching sounds like an OT thing. It may really help her.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 11:04 pm
I'm the amother who wrote this
Quote:
how is she during mat time? Can she sit and listen?

If you ask her to get something for you or do something does she get "lost" on the way?

can she find things easily or keeps saying "I can't find it" even when its right in front of her"

want to give us more details?

why do all these threads always have to be about ADD, someone always has to mention ADD, it drives me nuts there ARE other issues other then ADD that cause these behaviours in children.
for example I was thinking of something called auditory processing disorder.
Its no big deal at all depending how severe but actually while I don't think or simply don't know that the OP's dd has it, the techniques used could benefit ALL children.

anyway I agree with cassandra, why a play therapist? I think someone like an OT or speech therapist to evaulate or to help you figure out what kind of evaluation she needs if the issues are to such an extent.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 11:13 pm
amother wrote:

for example I was thinking of something called auditory processing disorder.
Its no big deal at all depending how severe but actually while I don't think or simply don't know that the OP's dd has it, the techniques used could benefit ALL children.

Can u expand on this a bit?
Thanks everyone for all your help.
I feel that she is basically a normal 5 year old, who's very smart and very social. Her teachers feel its something more than that.

pina colada

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 11:15 pm
Auditory processing? Sounds more like sensory issues, addressed by an OT.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 11:19 pm
I read up a bit on Auditory.. and I don't think its it.
1. She has an amazing vocabulary and is very expressive
2. She reads well.

is it possible to have a sensory issue only with touching?

amother

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 11:36 pm
Thank you so much for everyone's help

I read this:
http://www.sensorysmarts.com/signs.html
and I feel my daughter may have sensory issues. I will look into it.
If anyone has any insight or sugg. please let me know.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 5:18 am
Whileit is true that you can't get a complete eval until age of 6, there are some issues that come into play much earlier. A learning disability, esp an auditory processing issue, may mask as ADD, which is why it is imperative that by grade two the child gets tested if presenting with these problems. It really makes a lot of sense that you get a referral to an OT immediately and rule out any sensory issues,w hich is what this sounds like to me. That does not in any way take away the fact that your child is very bright. You could also be dealing with a nonverbal learning disability.

doh821@optonline.net

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 9:33 pm
This is soo erie. I actually finally signed onto this website to read such a type of discussion. My daughter is also 5 years old. She as had developemental delays since she was 1.5. She has been in a special ed preschool and her neurologist recently decided to treat her attention difficulties with meds. I am a teacher of elementary school myself and have seen the tremendous benefits meds can have for SOME kids. I feel I must give this a chance but feel so terrified because this is MY CHILD and she is only 5. I would love to hear from a parent who has also given meds for attention issues to a preschooler and has some experienced advice.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers