Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
S/o What is wrong with WhatsApp?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 4:16 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
So if this is in a community where many in the Chareidi sector do have smartphones (not the norm in my circles), then like I said in a previous post, communication is a two way street. It should have been up to the employee to state this before being hired, and presumably the employer can require him/her to acquire a smartphone or another device that uses WhatsApp. I'm not sure why this becomes such a point of contention.

Well... let's backtrack to how we got here Smile. We were discussing how it becomes burdensome for someone to update co-workers who don't have whatsapp. It was then suggested that its the employer's responsibility to either provide the employee with a phone, or it was the employers responsibility to know the employee's limitation.

There obviously wasn't a consensus about this, so that's how we got here.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 4:22 pm
Notsobusy wrote:
You're living and working in a bubble. Most people in the U.S. have smart phones. And outside of the heimish companies in the tristate area, companies are not giving phones to employees who don't have one.

I was responding to this. Many large corporations (my info is a few years old so maybe things have changed) do give out phones so that their employees can keep their work and private life separate. And as crookshanks mentioned, many may give out smartphones to their employees if they are aware that their employees dont have one (I'm not personally in that company, I'm just going by what she said). Nothing wrong with living in a heimish community Smile, and bh many of us do.

small bean

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 4:52 pm
Do most people use whatsapp for work?

I use slack. You can have desktop app only if you don't have smartphone

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 5:38 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I was responding to this. Many large corporations (my info is a few years old so maybe things have changed) do give out phones so that their employees can keep their work and private life separate. And as crookshanks mentioned, many may give out smartphones to their employees if they are aware that their employees dont have one (I'm not personally in that company, I'm just going by what she said). Nothing wrong with living in a heimish community Smile, and bh many of us do.

My company just changed their policy and said bec everyone today owns a smartphone and has home internet they no longer subsidize or provide either.
we have to install tracking software to use our work communication on our smartphones so many of my coworkers opted out.
You do need a smartphone to install an app that allows us to login to our computer.
Overall I’ve found in non Jewish workplaces they are more accepting of differences then in Jewish workplaces and will work to figure it out. I think bec there is a lot of culture ‘understanding’ right now.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 8:06 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
So to understand your position better - this is a non Jewish company and it was only you and the other worker who was frum and she is ultra chareidi?

Maybe you are referring to my posts, where I said I was resentful of being the messenger for a coworker who refused to get whatsapp. It was a frum place of work in Israel, just not a charedi one.
Ironically, later on my coworker went on to work in a charedi place, and there she caved and got whatsapp. Some charedi places require it.

Jewishmom8

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 10:50 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
That is incorrect. The majority of the chareidi sector have smartphones today, and, many outsiders within the chareidi sector are still unaware that people resist smartphones in our community. We are looking at it from inside the community perspective. Those that are looking at our community from an outside perspective really don't have insight to these nuances. They are aware of the factors that we all follow - leave early on Fridays, etc., but not all these little differences.

I wanted to chime in that this is not true.
Most people do NOT have smart phones where I live.
Page 9 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Recent Topics