Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Has a/o here overcome crazy fear of driving?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 12:16 pm
I used to drive and loved it, but was a passenger in a terrible car accident. Since then I'm terrified to drive, which really frustrates my husband. He wants me to get over the fear and get comfortable behind the wheel again. I'm just thankful that I live in the city. When I work out-of-town, I get drivers.

mamacita

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 2:58 pm
I hate to drive but I have driven in my hometown (middle of nowhere) and in small midwestern places that are pretty mild.

I have an abusive driving instructor, an accident, and a lot of stress/fear to pin it all on. B"H for public transportation.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 8:15 pm
I have to show this to dh, he thinks only im scared.

Toot

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 8:27 pm
I took drivers ed and passed my road test first try, but never got much practice, and was never such a good driver. I also hit a couple of cars in parking lots (I think 3 in total) which just made me never want to get behind the wheel. That was years ago. This year I got a job that I had to drive to, so I had to get over it and get comfortable again! Now I drive everyday on the highway and it's fine, but my husband HATES driving with me. He gets nervous, which stresses me out, which makes me not drive as well.

It also doesn't help that I have the WORST sense of direction in the world, so while I have no problem driving to work, I try to avoid driving to unfamiliar places, because I know I will get lost.

dora

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 8:55 pm
I had a license but was very scared, had dh drive me around and he didn't like that. then I got a job and had to commute, about 1 1/2 hours ltrip each way so I had no choice and was very proud of myself. THEN the accident happened (not my fault) the moment I was able to I forced myself to get behind the wheel, everyone thought I was crazy. it was the smart thing to do and now I can't imagine not being able to drive.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 3:58 am
I'm so amazed there are so many women afraid to drive. Everyone aroundme thinks I'm nuts because I won't drive on the highway, though I'll drive forever on a street. Everyone tells me that it's worse driving on the street than in the highway. I do find it debilitating at times, especially being a single mother. Now that my kids are old enough to drive, they drive to the airport and such places. What I really miss is going to vacation places like Florida and not being able to rent a car, always relying on someone else. Anyone ever got over the fear of the highway?

red sea

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 9:01 am
Try to take a few lessons on the highway, maybe it wil help you.

mamacita

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 10:04 am
Seriously, this thread is so nice to see. I've had so many people make me feel like an idiot for not having a license. I've been called phobic, dependent, probably dangerous, incompetent (in a "nice" wau of course) and basically a nebach.

I also refuse to drive with someone I think is unsafe. This was not good for one guy I went on a date with, and B"H dh is a safe, responsible driver.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics