Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What to do with my pearl necklace
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 7:58 am
My pearl necklace from the yichud room 20 or so years ago has been sitting in a drawer untouched for so many years. I didn’t even wear them enough to find any sentimental value in them. What can I do with them? Is there any jewelry I can make out of them that would be in style? Or can/should I just sell the whole necklace? Any advice welcome.
Thanks!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 8:02 am
I wear my pearls, but I am in my 40s and wear what I like. The peer pressure is not the same

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 8:06 am
Delete

amother
Daphne

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 8:11 am
I plan to turn mine in a choker instead of a mid length necklace.
Or you can do a very long one, very stylish.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 8:11 am
I did delete that post (immediately actually, but you were fast) because while it was what I was thinking it was not nice and not helpful.

amother
Blushpink

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 8:13 am
The resale value is almost zero.

Probably the best you can do is keep them in your drawer until they come back into style, as they inevitably will. You can repurpose them into a multi strand choker or bracelet, if you like the look, but anything else will be obviously retrofitted.

amother
OP

amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
I wear my pearls, but I am in my 40s and wear what I like. The peer pressure is not the same

Yup, I wear what I like. Which is not and has never been pearls. I didn’t wear pearls when I was in my 20s either. I actually don’t wear jewelry at all (the making them into other jewelry idea was for my teen DDs). (For someone who doesn’t care what other people think of the jewelry she does or doesn’t wear, I’m certainly caring too much of anonymous people leaping to wrong conclusions about me 😳😔).

In any event… any responses from anyone on the question I asked (what I can do with an item of jewelry I haven’t worn in years and have no intention of wearing again) aside from saying that they wear theirs and therefore I should (be like them?) and wear mine?

amother
Daphne

https://www.chanel.com/fr/mode.....rass/

amother
Skyblue

Do you like pearls at all, just not the style of your necklace? Or do you not like pearls in which case yes you should sell it.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 8:23 am
Are they saltwater (smooth) pearls, or freshwater pearls (with a few bumps and lines)?

If they are saltwater, I'd be interested in them. Can you PM me a picture?

amother
Diamond

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 8:26 am
If you have a Iong enough strand, why not make into bracelets or earrings for your daughters? Since this is a sentimental gift, it would be a nice keepsake for them (and you mentioned wanting to use it for your daughters).

As others have said, you wouldn't get much money selling it. Also, they probably will be coming back in style in the next few years, and it would be nice for your daughters to have a fashionable piece of good jewelry as young adults.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 8:52 am
amother [ Diamond ] wrote:
If you have a Iong enough strand, why not make into bracelets or earrings for your daughters? Since this is a sentimental gift, it would be a nice keepsake for them (and you mentioned wanting to use it for your daughters).

As others have said, you wouldn't get much money selling it. Also, they probably will be coming back in style in the next few years, and it would be nice for your daughters to have a fashionable piece of good jewelry as young adults.

my mother repurposed my grandmothers long strand of pearls into sweet single strand bracelets for each einikel which she gifts them on their bas mitzva. so so classy and tasteful looking. it has several adjustable links at the closure with a tiny heart dangling.
I loved the look so much that my mom had one made for me too. Wink

amother
Daphne

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 4:36 pm
Pearls seem to come back and look stylish with modern designs.

https://www.dior.com/en_us/pro.....stals

https://www.dior.com/en_us/pro.....earls

amother
Peach

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 7:01 pm
I asked my chosson not to buy pearls when I got married about 20 years ago. Just not my style. He bought me earrings but I didn't have pierced ears (I still don't) which I exchanged for a necklace.
Love the idea of making it into a few bracelets least risky option

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 8:59 pm
Hold them and pass to your daughter on her wedding day. Or for a granddaughter, for her wedding day. These items can hold sentimental value and your daughter or granddaughter can always repurpose it to suit her personal style (like by adding diamonds to break up the pearls or restricting in a different look).

amother
Jean

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 9:05 pm
The size and colors of pearls change over the years.
The size you have is probably not what anyone is wearing these days.
Additionally, pearls are out of style now.
Kallahs are not even getting them as wedding gifts anymore. They are getting diamond necklaces instead.
Maybe hold onto them until they come back into style and then see how you want to restring them.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Dec 22 2021, 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

tigerwife

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 9:35 pm
Restring with black stones interspersed between the pearls.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 11:41 pm
amother [ Daphne ] wrote:
https://www.chanel.com/fr/mode/p/AB7051B06591NF112/sautoir-metal-veau-perles-de-verre-strass/

I like this!

mrsnistar

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 12:21 am
SafeAtLast wrote:
Kallahs are not even getting them as wedding gifts anymore. They are getting diamond necklaces instead.

I actually got married 6 months ago, and I did get pearls. I'm actually still wearing them from shabbos as I sit here right now...

amother
Skyblue

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 12:26 am
SafeAtLast wrote:
The size and colors of pearls change over the years.
The size you have is probably not what anyone is wearing these days.
Maybe hold onto them until they come back into style and then see how you want to restring them.

Pearls are not a style. They’re classic. But I thought OP she just doesn’t like pearls.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics