Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What do your kids do on Sundays, and where do you live?
Previous  1  2

mochamix18

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 9:12 am
amother [ Tiffanyblue ] wrote:
Me too! Sunday is a regular day here in Israel. Love it!!!

Yay Israeli Ima’s! Count me in. What’s Sunday?!

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 9:19 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Same, 6 days a week of school (for many kids, not all)

Actually Israel is moving towards a 5 day work week. Many many offices have incorporated it already, and many schools as well. High schools and junior high schools have pretty much all moved to 5 days where I live, and the teacher union announced that there is an official effort to move to 5 days a week.

Of course, our day off is not Sunday but Friday, which has a totally different vibe than Sundays.
My kids are teens and they go to the beach on Fridays very often, or shopping with friends, or study/do homework at home.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 9:28 am
Friday off in Israel would not be a day off would just be getting ready for shabbos and cleaning up food shopping with kids off. I’d rather the Sunday off in America and entertaining my kids or sending to clubs

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 9:34 am
amother [ Gladiolus ] wrote:
Friday off in Israel would not be a day off would just be getting ready for shabbos and cleaning up food shopping with kids off. I’d rather the Sunday off in America and entertaining my kids or sending to clubs

I totally get that.
From what I hear though, many people in America don't like Sundays. Not sure why.

I think Israelis who have Fridays off either need to enjoy the extra time getting ready for shabbat, or try to do most things on Thursday and then enjoy the whole day properly. The cafes, malls, beaches are all full on Fridays so it seems many take advantage, but it is more challenging for frum families.

In any case, op, to answer your question - when I grew up in a country that had Sundays off, we used to go to the library a lot. Don't know if that works for everyone. We also went bowling, to the zoo, and on nature trips.

amother
Impatiens

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 2:04 am
We live in Paris.
My kids do their homework, art and craft, play, watch videos… I try to take them outside for at least 1 hour even if it’s cold. (Local park)

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 2:13 am
amother [ Obsidian ] wrote:
Actually Israel is moving towards a 5 day work week. Many many offices have incorporated it already, and many schools as well. High schools and junior high schools have pretty much all moved to 5 days where I live, and the teacher union announced that there is an official effort to move to 5 days a week.

Of course, our day off is not Sunday but Friday, which has a totally different vibe than Sundays.
My kids are teens and they go to the beach on Fridays very often, or shopping with friends, or study/do homework at home.
Where have you seen that? I know at one point Israel wanted to try for sundays off, but it was not passed at all.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 2:17 am
I know many people who take friday as a full day off from work. For many its a full day off. One can always prep for shabbat on thursday night.
Ive been in Israel for almost 2 decades and I actually love friday off Smile

salt

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 2:30 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Where have you seen that? I know at one point Israel wanted to try for sundays off, but it was not passed at all.

There are some high schools in Jerusalem that have Friday off.

amother
Obsidian

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 2:32 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

When I said a five day work week, I meant Fridays and Shabbat.
Already most government offices, banks etc are closed Fridays. And many schools.
Just a random link in Hebrew:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w.....30621

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 2:32 am
salt wrote:
There are some high schools in Jerusalem that have Friday off.
Yes, of course, but that is not new. I was talking about the changing the work week to a 5 day work week.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 2:35 am
amother [ Obsidian ] wrote:
When I said a five day work week, I meant Fridays and Shabbat.
Already most government offices, banks etc are closed Fridays. And many schools.
Just a random link in Hebrew:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w.....30621
I know what you meant Smile
And obviously shabbat. There are restaurants and shops open on shabbat in some places in the country, but mostly not.

moonstone

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 2:51 am

I agree, I really miss Sundays in the US. I need a day off every week that doesn't begin or end with Shabbat.

Raisin

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 4:32 am
We try and go out somewhere, although we often have work commitments, but it is still a much more relaxed day. Yesterday we went for a beautiful hike. My son also played with a friend.

Zehava

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 4:40 am
Waking up late, playing with friends, and going to classes like ballet and art

Fave

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 4:56 am
My younger girls are off of Sunday, my teens are off on Friday and have a shorter school day on Sunday (my oldest gets home after 2). I’d love it if all of them would have been off on the same day.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 5:27 am
The boys have yeshiva and my daughter either want to chill at home or come along with my errands and shopping. They don't want to run to activities or wake up early. It's a day to just be.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics