Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Historical question about the sound of nekudos

red sea

Post Tue, Apr 08 2008, 6:53 pm
yesterday after watching a clip online at oorah, we got into a discussion of pronunciations of hebrew. but heres the thing , it seems most groups have slight variations of sounds of certain letters like resh and heh, and ayin, but are pretty much the same with nekudos except for chassidim. So logic would dictate, if jews from all other areas have the same sounds of nekudos, somewhere in history it must have variated and it must be not too long ago being lubavitch split paths from the rest not too long ago and does not have the same pronunciation as other chassidus do. So does anyone know facual historical info on this and not just guesses like me?

chaylizi

Post Tue, Apr 08 2008, 6:59 pm
I have to say that's a good question and I'm not sure. I was going to say it might have something to do with lubavitch being a russian chassidus. But then so are karlin-stolin & boyan & something else I think. So that doesn't help. Lubavitch has some different pronounciations tho- like some say torah- others say toireh & my uncle who is lubavitch says tayreh. I understand that the litvish talk like this. But anyway yidden have been pronouncing things differently forever- each shevet had their own havarah. Shevet Ephraim for instance didn't pronounce shin- only sin
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics