Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Recipes for boiled chicken please

chaj

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 4:31 am
I haven't found any here so far for the seder

I want to use the chicken from the chicken soup, but any other ideas for cooked chicken would be great - thank you!!!

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 5:24 am
Make a chicken salad with fresh veggies?

A shepherd's pie with shredded chicken instead of chopped meat?

Hawaiian chicken - canned pineapple, diced green peppers, diced onions, ketchup, black pepper, salt and garlic powder for seasoning and brown sugar if you use it. Add a bit more water. Put into a pot and let it simmer.

drumjj

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 6:31 am
I fry loads of onions being lubavitch we dont use many spices so I just fry loads of onions and put the chicken in the pot with the onions and some salt and let it brown and then on a very low light let it simmer and cook in its own juice for a quite a few hours its comes out delicious and really soft

chaj

Post Mon, Apr 14 2008, 3:21 am
sounds all very delicious - thank you so much, now no more worries for the chicken Smile

su7kids

Post Mon, Apr 14 2008, 3:36 am
do you make / use mayonnaise? You can make a chicken salad with some of the veggies, too.

chaj

Post Mon, Apr 14 2008, 8:59 am
no, I don't, I'll keep the idea for after Pessach, thank you!

Probably I'll make the chicken with onion - I live in a place where there is not so much choice for kosher products

drumjj

Post Mon, Apr 14 2008, 9:47 am
yehudit are u lubavitch?

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Apr 15 2008, 1:50 am
drumjj- how long is a few hours for the chicken to simmer?

chaj

Post Tue, Apr 15 2008, 2:56 am
drumjj wrote:
yehudit are u lubavitch?

no Smile

why do you ask? mayo is with kitniyot, and we don't eat that.

drumjj

Post Tue, Apr 15 2008, 3:14 am
im wondering where in europe u live?

chaj

Post Tue, Apr 15 2008, 3:17 am
I live in Germany, and until now I could only find salt kosher le Pessach Smile, but I'm hoping for more!

drumjj

Post Tue, Apr 15 2008, 3:25 am
oh wow its really difficult where I live we also cant find a lot of ingredients. I know someone who was in a kollel in germany

su7kids

Post Tue, Apr 15 2008, 4:03 am
Yehudit wrote:
drumjj wrote:
yehudit are u lubavitch?

no Smile

why do you ask? mayo is with kitniyot, and we don't eat that.

What kitniyos is in Mayo? I use eggs, oil, and salt, and that's how I make mayo.

drumjj

Post Tue, Apr 15 2008, 4:36 am
I also just looked in the shops and shop bought ones doesnt have kitniyos in either

chaj

Post Tue, Apr 15 2008, 7:10 am
here, there is only mayo with kitniyot, but without is healthier anyway..

kollel in Germany, Yiddishkeit is B''H growing here!

pinkbubbles

Post Tue, Apr 15 2008, 8:45 am
PS another idea: fry some onions, rub the chicken with spices (I use pepper, salt) and some ketchup, add to the pot with onions and you can add a little more ketchup if you want, and water if necessary.. its really yummy!!

ss321

Post Tue, Apr 15 2008, 8:55 am
Yehudit wrote:

making mayo is really really easy if youre intersted. And you can use it as a base for SO many other things (esp. salad dressings)
my mayo calls for eggs, lemon juice, oil, salt. thats IT. and you need a blender. No kitniyos....

chaj

Post Tue, Apr 15 2008, 9:27 am
ss321 wrote:
Yehudit wrote:

making mayo is really really easy if youre intersted. And you can use it as a base for SO many other things (esp. salad dressings)
my mayo calls for eggs, lemon juice, oil, salt. thats IT. and you need a blender. No kitniyos....

redfireli: thank you!

ss321: can you give the amount needed and for how long does it keep in the fridge?

ss321

Post Tue, Apr 15 2008, 10:00 am
Yehudit wrote:

ss321: can you give the amount needed and for how long does it keep in the fridge?

sure.

heres what you need

6 eggs
6 c oil
1 tbsp salt (or more to taste)
1 tbsp lemon juice (or more to taste - I usually end up putting in 3)
basically, you crack the 6 eggs, put them into the blender, start it on a LOWER setting (if there is such a thing, if not doesnt really matter I discovered). SLOWLY pour in about 4 cups of the oil, you will see, after 2 cups or so itll start turning white-ish and creamy. After 4 cups I usually turn off the blender and touch it to "gauge" how much more ill need. It should feel whipped, and should "stand" (like the same idea as whipping egg whites). If it would still pour and is soupy, needs alot more oil. Then pour in the oil till it gets whipped. I usually use exactly 6 cups. Then add 1 tbsp salt, and lemon juice to taste, thats it. It takes about 3 minutes from start to finish.
Good luck Smile

I wouldnt keep it longer than a week. You could probably get away with making it erev yt and using it for the second days though...Ive never been "home" for yom tov though (only parents and IL's; dont intend to be home for a good few years!), so I cant say lol, but Im sure that extra day wont make a difference. So I guess after 10 days throw it out. I mean we ARE talking raw eggs here.
And many people might tell me I'm irresponsible, but I eat this while pregnant. I asked my OB about it and he said it was fine, its not like youre consuming huge amounts when you use it as a spread on challah, or a few tablespoons in a caesar salad...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics