Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Segula

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 12:26 am
Have you ever heard of "Segula" used as a girls name? The possuk in this week's parsha struck me as exceptionally beautiful, and I'm BEH expecting my second girl soon. I'm ok with an out of the box name but don't want too strange. For reference my son has a very common name first name and a less common but beautiful middle name (he goes by th first name) and my other daughter's first name (that she goes by) is emuna.

(In this week's parsha Hashem promises that benai yisrael will be his treasure- segula)

salt

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 2:27 am
I once met a girl called Segula in Israel. She admitted her name was very unusual.

etky

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 2:57 am
It has a nice meaning but I can't shake the association with the cemetery in Petach Tikva.

salt

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 3:01 am
etky wrote:
It has a nice meaning but I can't shake the association with the cemetery in Petach Tikva.

But you would pronounce it with the emphasis on the last syllable - מלרע -
at least that's how the person I met pronounced it. I don't know if that's doable in America, but in Israel it certainly is.
Then it sounds more like Am Segula.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 3:05 am
I have a neighbor carried called Segula, but I understand this is a name she chose for herself (possibly after becoming BT) I don’t know her well, but her email is under another similar sounding name.

amother
Glitter

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 3:06 am
Sima means treasure and is less unusual.

I'm not sure what סיגל means, might be the same root.

IMO Segula would work in Bat Ayin or similar places, but not more mainstream places.

Keshet is also an unusual girls name, but not quite as unusual as Segula. Edited to add -- keshet (rainbow) is a sign of Gds promise to Am Israel, which is why I brought it up.

etky

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 3:09 am
salt wrote:
But you would pronounce it with the emphasis on the last syllable - מלרע -
at least that's how the person I met pronounced it. I don't know if that's doable in America, but in Israel it certainly is.
Then it sounds more like Am Segula.

Ok, but then it's 'purple' (adjective, feminine) Wink

etky

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 3:10 am
amother [ Glitter ] wrote:

IMO Segula would work in Bat Ayin or similar places, but not more mainstream places.

Keshet is also an unusual girls name, but not quite as unusual as Segula. Edited to add -- keshet (rainbow) is a sign of Gds promise to Am Israel, which is why I brought it up.

I know many Keshets. Never occurred to me that it's unusual in any way.

salt

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 3:15 am
etky wrote:
Ok, but then it's 'purple' (adjective, feminine) Wink

Yes true. But it's a nice colour Smile

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 3:16 am
amother [ Glitter ] wrote:

סיגל means mauve or violet, and סיגלית is the name of a small flowering purple plant. In Israel it is quite a common girls name.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 5:37 am
Elfrida wrote:
סיגל means mauve or violet, and סיגלית is the name of a small flowering purple plant. In Israel it is quite a common girls name.

It was a quite common girl’s name for babies born 50 years ago - not so much common for little girls today and would stand out much more than Segula in a regular DL community (where pretty much any name which is a concept goes). Not saying you should go with this name because it will follow your child for rest of their life, but if you’re DL even in the most conservative in the box area you won’t get more than a second glance.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 7:27 am
chanchy123 wrote:
It was a quite common girl’s name for babies born 50 years ago - not so much common for little girls today and would stand out much more than Segula in a regular DL community (where pretty much any name which is a concept goes). Not saying you should go with this name because it will follow your child for rest of their life, but if you’re DL even in the most conservative in the box area you won’t get more than a second glance.

We live in Flatbush, and send to mainstream yeshivishe leaning schools, so I guess it's a no-go lol. Oh well. I think it's beautiful and it's a nod towards being the Am Segula.

amother
Chestnut

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 8:27 am
Doesn't it also means "round "?
Maybe ask your Rav.

amother
Camellia

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 8:48 am
amother [ Chestnut ] wrote:
Doesn't it also means "round "?
Maybe ask your Rav.

No, it doesn't mean round. That's עגולה. A name I doubt anyone would give their dd.

amother
Currant

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 8:51 am
I knew of one girl with that name. She was Israeli and came to our school in America for the year. Never heard that name again in all my ears in Yeshivish American circles.

Seema/Sima means hidden treasure.

amother
Camellia

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 9:04 am
amother [ Currant ] wrote:

Seema/Sima means hidden treasure.

In Hebrew? Never heard of that. From what root word?

ETA. I just checked. Aramaic.

amother
Electricblue

Post Wed, Feb 02 2022, 4:38 am
I think Segula is a gorgeous name. Maybe because I am older I am open to hearing names that are not used quite often.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Feb 02 2022, 4:42 am
I actually know a guy named Segula. But he gave himself that Hebrew name. And waayyy out of any box.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names