Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Montreal infant found safe in stolen vehicle

proudmom

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 4:01 pm
CTV.ca News Staff

An 11-month-old Montreal baby was found safe and in good health after a frantic search in the city's north end.

Domenic Trombetta, stopped for gas at a station on Saint-Michel Blvd. around 7:30 a.m. ET Wednesday morning, with his son Vince in the back seat.

With the city sweltering in 30-plus-degree heat, Trombetta kept the engine and the air conditioner running while he left his child in the car to pay his $10.10 bill.

When he returned, he found that his car, and his son, were gone.

"As soon as I got out, I saw the car was not there anymore," Trombetta told CFCF News. "I freaked out right away. I said to the (attendant), call 9-1-1!

Within minutes, police put out a bulletin, asking radio and television stations to broadcast the information in the hopes someone would spot the black Audi matching the description.

"One radio station actually even made a direct plea to the car thief, saying 'Look, if you have the baby, if you have the car, just pull over, leave the baby there in the car and make run for it,'" CFCF's Rob Lurie reported from Montreal.

A tense hour later, the baby was found sitting in the car, which had been abandoned about 20 km away in a parking lot.

A tip from the public led authorities to find the baby.

"I hugged him, of course, checked to see if everything was there, if he's OK, but he doesn't seem affected," a relieved Trombetta said.

While the baby appears unfazed by the ordeal he likely won't remember, his family has learned a lesson they won't soon forget -- don't leave your child unattended in your idling, unlocked car.

"I'm still shaking," said Vince's mother Michelle Boulianne.

This was her first week back at work after a year-long maternity leave, and her son's first day at daycare.

Authorities have arrested a 33-year-old man who they believe to be a suspect in the case.

Meanwhile, police are reminding the public not to leave their car running with the doors unlocked.

"Police say this is the way it happens a lot of the time, that car thieves will stalk someone at a gas station or at a convenience store, watch what their habits are, and just as soon as they turn their back, get in the car and go," Lurie said.

In fact, Trombetta violated the highway code in leaving the car running with the doors unlocked.

But so far, police aren't saying if they'll give him a ticket.

queen

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 9:11 pm
proudmom wrote:
But so far, police aren't saying if they'll give him a ticket.

What, they'd let him get away with this?!?!!

Mandy

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 9:27 pm
This is the dad they are talking about. Don't you think he learned his lesson and had enough troubles from it ? What will a ticket help ?

queen

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 10:46 pm
thanks Mandy... I thought they were going to let the supposed theif scott free.

Post Thu, Sep 15 2005, 10:48 am
They better lock the theif up!!
but he probably jumped into the car thinking hey time for a joy-ride, and then later looked in the back seat and thought "oh, no, what am I gonna do w/ this kid?!?"

queen

Post Thu, Sep 15 2005, 11:07 am
at least he didn't harm the child!!!!!!

nicole81

Post Thu, Sep 15 2005, 11:34 am
proudmom wrote:
CTV.ca News Staff

While the baby appears unfazed by the ordeal he likely won't remember, his family has learned a lesson they won't soon forget -- don't leave your child unattended in your idling, unlocked car.

how about just don't leave your child unattended in your car???

Rivka

Post Thu, Sep 15 2005, 5:01 pm
I don't leave my son in the car on his own. First of all people knick cars and just like you won't leave your purse in the car when you leave, don't leave your kid there.

lucky

Post Thu, Sep 15 2005, 8:18 pm
Same about leaving kids in carriages outsde stores, you wouldn't leave your wallet, but a kid in a carriage.......

stem

Post Thu, Sep 15 2005, 9:09 pm
it boggles my mind.

micki

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 7:38 am
I won;t retuurn carts to walmart if my kid is in the car- I just leave it next to my car.

about the ticket to dad- when we had our terrible car accident, they gave us a ticket for speeding! saying if you crashed you were going too fast- as if the loss of our car was not a painful enough reminder...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics