Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Delicious Pesach Recipe without bottled sauces

justforfun87

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 12:46 pm
The imitation mustard/sauces gross me out! Please flood me with amazing recipes and meal ideas that I don't have to buy these knock off barbq sauces etc.

WitchKitty

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 12:48 pm
What are you using them for?

justforfun87

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 12:50 pm
WitchKitty wrote:
What are you using them for?

In the past I used them on meats and chicken.

amother
Hosta

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 1:00 pm
Salt and pepper rub
If you use other spices add paprika onion and garlic powder and rub into meat
If you’d like meat a little sweet rub in some sugar
Allow to marinate few hours
Cut up onions garlic parsnip and carrots
Put around meat
Pour over a cup of wine
Bake on 300 for 4-5 hours
I bake a few meats at a time
I put them into the oven before I go to bed at around 12 and have my husband shut it off around 6

WitchKitty

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 1:00 pm
So pretty much whatever you have in the house can be used for chicken Smile and about half can be used for meat.
Honey-garlic. If you use honey and garlic of course. Orange. Stuffed (there are matza stuffings, if you eat gebroks). Plain roast chicken with paprika and other spices. Fried onions & garlic.
I almost never use ready made sauces. And never on Pesach..
For meat my favorite is wine & silan.

alef12

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 1:04 pm
Here's a recipe I did recently for Wesley Kosher's Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/reel....._link

It uses citrus, herbs, olive oil. It wasn't developed specifically as a "Pesach" recipe at all but it is 100% Kosher Le pesach

watergirl

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 1:04 pm
justforfun87 wrote:
In the past I used them on meats and chicken.

So did I. Then one year I realized they cost over $5 so yeah, no. I personally felt pressure to make fancy things for a specific reason, and decided to let that go, finally. I started making super simple, old school "my mother's style" chicken and roast and my kids and family preferred that so much, I do it all year now. Literally garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, slice onions and put it on the bottom, chicken and spices on top. Cover and bake, and uncover for a bit at the end. It is a hit every time, and when I make meals for people, they request this chicken!

amother
White

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 2:02 pm
watergirl wrote:
So did I. Then one year I realized they cost over $5 so yeah, no. I personally felt pressure to make fancy things for a specific reason, and decided to let that go, finally. I started making super simple, old school "my mother's style" chicken and roast and my kids and family preferred that so much, I do it all year now. Literally garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, slice onions and put it on the bottom, chicken and spices on top. Cover and bake, and uncover for a bit at the end. It is a hit every time, and when I make meals for people, they request this chicken!

So you're only putting spices and no sauce - does the chicken stay moist?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 2:07 pm
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....77421

You can also mix tomato sauce, honey and balsamic vinegar.

You can make a delicious faux teriyaki with gravy and Coca-Cola.

Mushroom sauce.

watergirl

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 2:10 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
So you're only putting spices and no sauce - does the chicken stay moist?

Very!! The trick is to bake it covered for the first 3/4 of the time and uncover it at the end also. I do this with white meat also and not to toot my own horn but it's really juicy and good. I never do sauce anymore, my family prefers spices only.

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 2:14 pm
This is delicious and super easy

Jamie Oliver’s Tender & Crisp Chicken Legs With Sweet Tomatoes & Basil

Ingredients

4 chicken leg quarters
1 pinch sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 big bunch fresh basil, leaves picked, stalks finely chopped
2 big handfuls red and yellow cherry tomatoes and ripe plum or beefsteak tomatoes, cherry tomatoes halved, plum tomatoes quartered
1 whole bulb garlic, broken into cloves
1 fresh red chile, finely chopped, or a big pinch of dried chile flakes
1 splash olive oil
1 14.5-ounce/410 g can cannelini beans, drained and rinsed (optional)
2 handfuls new potatoes, scrubbed (optional)

Heat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Season your chicken pieces all over with salt and pepper and put them into a snug-fitting pan in one layer, skin side up. Throw in all the basil leaves and stalks, then chuck in your tomatoes. Scatter the garlic cloves into the pan with the chopped chile and drizzle over some olive oil. Mix around a bit, pushing the tomatoes underneath.

Place in the oven, uncovered, for 1 1/2 hours, turning any of the exposed tomatoes halfway through, until the chicken skin is crisp and the meat is falling off the bone. If after an hour or so the skin isn’t crisping to your liking, you can turn up the heat and switch to convection, or just blast it under the broiler for a bit at the end, rotating the pan occasionally and watching closely, until you get the skin as brown as you like. Just don't let the sauce simmer too vigorously or the meat might toughen up.

If you fancy, you can add some drained cannelini beans or some sliced new potatoes to the pan along with the chicken. Or you can serve the chicken with some simple mashed potato. Squeeze the garlic out of the skins before serving. You could even make it part of a pasta dish—remove the chicken meat from the bone and shred it, then toss into a bowl of linguini or spaghetti and serve at once.

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 2:18 pm
THE ULTIMATE ROAST CHICKEN PROVENÇAL

Source: Tyler Florence - “Tyler's Ultimate.”

THIS IS, WITHOUT QUESTION, THE BEST ROASTED CHICKEN RECIPE I’VE EVER TASTED, WITH PROVENÇAL FLAVORS INSIDE AND OUT. The genius of Provençal cooking is that ingredients and cooking methods are simple but when the flavors of the tomatoes, lemons, zucchini, and herbs all melt together, they create a taste that is truly mind-blowing and quintessentially French.

SERVES 4

HERB PASTE

Leaves from 1 bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley
Leaves from ¼ bunch of fresh thyme
Leaves from 1 bunch of fresh tarragon
4 garlic cloves
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 whole (3½-pound) chicken
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 lemon, cut in half, plus ½ lemon sliced paper-thin
3 big tomatoes, cut into wedges
4 small zucchini, cut into ½-inch-thick rounds
1 red onion, thinly sliced
Leaves from 4 fresh thyme sprigs
Extra-virgin olive oil

Preheat the oven to 400°F.

Throw the parsley, thyme, tarragon, garlic, and olive oil in a blender, season well with salt and pepper, and purée to a green paste.
Rinse the chicken with cool water inside and out and pat dry with paper towels. Set the chicken on a cutting board, and season the cavity generously with salt and pepper. Stuff the lemon halves into the cavity. Fold the wing tips under the bird and tie the legs together with kitchen string to give it a nice shape while it cooks. Rub the chicken all over with the herb paste so it’s well coated.
Put the chicken in a large roasting pan fitted with a rack and scatter the tomatoes, zucchini, onion, lemon slices, and thyme around. Give the vegetables a big, healthy dose of olive oil—¼ cup should do it—and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Put the chicken into the oven and roast for 1 hour, then check on it with an instant-read thermometer by popping it into the thickest part of the thigh. When it reads 160, the bird is cooked.

Take the pan out of the oven and let the chicken rest for about 10 minutes before carving so the juices have a chance to settle back into the meat. Serve with the roasted vegetables.”

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 2:23 pm
Simple Roasted Pomegranate Chicken

Serves 8

1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 (3-1/2 to 4-pound) chickens, quartered
½ cup pomegranate juice
1/2 cup dry white wine
Juice of 2 lemons, about 4-5 tablespoons
2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar
2 – 3 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a cup, mix oil and garlic. Brush garlic oil over chicken.

Place chicken in a shallow baking dish. Bake for 45 minutes, basting several times with pan juices, until skin is browned and juices run clear when a thigh is pierced at thickest part with a fork.

In a small saucepan, mix pomegranate juice, wine, lemon juice, and cinnamon sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook 5 minutes. Season sauce with salt and pepper.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 2:39 pm
This is heavenly. No sauces required.
https://www.allrecipes.com/rec.....tyle/

4 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons paprika

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1 teaspoon white pepper

½ teaspoon cayenne pepper

½ teaspoon black pepper

½ teaspoon garlic powder

2 onions, quartered

2 (4 pound) whole chickens

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 2:41 pm
CHICKEN STUFFED WITH APPLES and APRICOTS – (Meat)

Excerpt From: Joan Kekst. “More Passover Cookery: In the Kitchen with Joan Kekst

8 large chicken breast halves, skinless and boneless
2T lime juice
2T cake meal
2T vegetable oil or spray

THE STUFFING:
1 large tart apple, peeled, grated, tossed with 1t lemon juice
½C dried apricots, plumped and slivered
4T matzo meal
2T minced fresh flat parsley
“2T chicken stock, as needed
½t grated nutmeg or cinnamon
1T margarine

THE SAUCE:
½C coarsely chopped white onions
Vegetable oil spray
1/4C white wine or water
1/4C apricot preserves
1 T lemon juice
1/4 to 1/2C whole dried cranberries OR dried tart cherries
1T honey
Dash of grated nutmeg
Optional garnish:  Sautéed apple slices or whole fresh parsley to garnish

Between sheets of wax paper, pound heavy breast ends to approximate thinner end.  Sprinkle with lime juice, marinate at room temperature 10 to 15 minutes.  Plump apricots in boiling water, 5 minutes.  Drain, pat dry and thinly slice. 

In a small bowl, combine grated apple with apricots, matzo meal, parsley, nutmeg.  Moisten with chicken stock if necessary.  Divide stuffing among prepared breasts, dot with bits of margarine.  Roll from thin end; fasten with a toothpick. 

Lightly dust outside of breasts with flour.  Heat an 11” non-stick skillet with vegetable oil spray or 1T oil on medium high.  Sauté breasts in batches 4 to 5 minutes per side, add remaining oil as needed.  Remove to an ovenproof platter.

In same skillet, sauté onions until limp, but not colored.  Add, wine, apricot preserves, lemon juice and honey; season to taste with nutmeg.  Cook on medium low heat 8 - 10 minutes.  Stir in berries and cook 3 to 5 minutes longer.  Return chicken breasts to pan, heat thoroughly, about 5 minutes.  Serve breasts on a preheated platter, surrounded with sauce and garnish.  8 portions

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 2:44 pm
LOWER EAST SIDE FRIED CHICKEN

Surprise your seder guests by serving them fried chicken and you’ll definitely have to add more chairs around the table next year! Brining is key to keeping the chicken moist and seasoning it all the way to the bone. This version uses a buttermilk-style brine made with nondairy creamer to tenderize the meat, keeping it kosher for Passover. It should marinate for at least twelve hours. The matzo meal dredge provides the perfect crunchy crust to the finished fried chicken.

Excerpt From: Heilbrun, Michele Streit. “Matzo: 35 Recipes for Passover and All Year Long.” Apple Books.

Excerpt From: Heilbrun, Michele Streit. “Matzo: 35 Recipes for Passover and All Year Long

SERVES 4 TO 6

1 quart nondairy creamer
Juice and grated zest of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tablespoon hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
1 chicken (2 to 3 pounds), cut into 8 pieces
4 large egg whites

DREDGE

1 cup matzo cake meal
1 cup matzo meal
1½ tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne
½ teaspoon kosher salt
Neutral oil, for frying
Honey, for serving (optional)

1 In a large airtight container or zip-top plastic bag, combine the creamer, lemon juice and zest, the 2 tablespoons salt, garlic, and hot sauce. Add the chicken, turn to coat, and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours.

2 Remove the chicken from the brine and dry well with paper towels. (Discard the brine.) In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until frothy. In a separate large bowl, mix all the ingredients for the dredge. Dip each piece of chicken into the egg whites, letting any excess drip off, then into the dredge, pressing to adhere. Place on a baking sheet and let sit for 15 minutes, until the crust begins to soften.

3 Meanwhile, heat about 5 inches of oil (see Tip ), to 350°F in a deep pot fitted with a deep-fry thermometer. (If you don’t have a thermometer, use the wooden spoon method on this page .) Line a plate with paper towels. Working in batches, fry the chicken until golden brown and crisp; the white meat will take 8 to 10 minutes and the dark meat, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to the paper towel–lined plate to drain and season lightly with salt.

4 Serve the chicken warm, at room temperature, or even cold, straight from the refrigerator. A little drizzle of honey right before eating adds a great Southern-inspired twist.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 2:58 pm
The homemade duck sauce in this BCP post is really delicious! (I don't find it so duck saucy, just really good condiment)
https://betweencarpools.com/5-.....auce/

We made Pesach burgers last year with potato patties for the buns and this sauce, was heavenly.

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 3:04 pm
amother [ Peachpuff ] wrote:
The homemade duck sauce in this BCP post is really delicious! (I don't find it so duck saucy, just really good condiment)
https://betweencarpools.com/5-.....auce/

We made Pesach burgers last year with potato patties for the buns and this sauce, was heavenly.

There is a version of Hasselback Salami AKA Duck Sauce Salami that doesn't use duck sauce from Jamie Geller

Duck Sauce Salami is utterly decadent and utterly delicious LOL

INGREDIENTS

A 14 to 16 ounce salami
½ cup apricot jam
½ tablespoon hot sauce
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon brown sugar

PREPARATION

Preheat oven to 400℉ / 200℃.

Place two chopsticks on both sides of the salami (with plastic removed).

Cut thin slices about 1/8 inch wide. The chopsticks should stop the knife from cutting through the entire height of the salami.

Mix the apricot jam, hot sauce, maple syrup and brown sugar in a bowl.

Pour over salami. Make sure it gets in between the cracks.

Bake for 45 minutes or until it looks crispy enough for your taste. Every 15 minutes, remove from oven and scoop some of the sauce onto the salami. That keeps it nice and juicy.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 3:05 pm
I almost never buy expensive bottled sauces.

One easy and delicious recipe (thanks SIL!) is to sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Pour oil of your choice over the roast. Bake as indicated for that roast. For example, I've done this with a Deckel roast, which does well low and slow - like a 215 oven overnight, or at 250 for about 4-5 hours, but not higher. Came out flavorful and buttery soft.

I posted my chuck eye roast recipes here: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....64754
Neither of these have bottled sauces and are great for Pesach.

I posted my favorite minute roast recipe in this thread https://www.imamother.com/foru.....rt=20
It is spicy. If you try it and would rather it not be so spicy, put in less cayenne pepper (half or even less.)

amother
Pear

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 3:19 pm
I buy one bottle of $7 wine for cooking (and maybe a little tasting). A little wine and a splash balsamic of vinegar, fresh onions and garlic, salt and pepper. Sometimes Montreal steak seasoning with meat. Sometimes dried minced onion or onion soup mix. Sometimes add tomato paste. Slow cook chicken or meat. (Balsamic vinegar is always at it's lowest price Pesach time where I live).

I also use apple juice to cook with. Garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.

Coke is also tasty choice for cooking either meat or chicken. Not the healthiest option, but good with lots of onion and onion powder. You can also add tomato paste.

For chicken, I also bake with just spices, covered in the oven, or slow cooked with just spices.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics