Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Barrier for hallway to prevent running

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 01 2022, 4:49 pm
I really need a barrier to put in my hallway to prevent my kids from running and jumping. I was thinking about a gate but I don't have to open it every time I walk down the hall. If there was a kind of gate that you could just push open instead of having to actually unlatch, that would be fine. Or even just a gate that just basically makes like a bump in the hallway. My son likes to run and jump as he leaves the bathroom as if he's jumping over something by racing to it. It's driving right downstairs neighbors nuts. We tried talking to him about it he says he won't do it anymore and then does it the next second.

amother
Apple

Post Fri, Apr 01 2022, 6:20 pm
Is this what you are looking for
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Reg.....aw.ds

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 01 2022, 6:23 pm
We actually have one of those but I wanted something I don't need to open with my hands. Maybe an idea to try though.

amother
Blushpink

Post Fri, Apr 01 2022, 6:28 pm
Maybe build something like this
https://www.swingingcafedoors......oors/

Zehava

Post Fri, Apr 01 2022, 6:49 pm
Pretty sure that’ll just turn your hallway into an obstacle course. Your neighbors should suck it up. That’s the reality of living in an apt building.

BrisketBoss

Post Fri, Apr 01 2022, 7:41 pm
Zehava wrote:
Pretty sure that’ll just turn your hallway into an obstacle course. Your neighbors should suck it up. That’s the reality of living in an apt building.

Yep, this is the answer. It's not a reasonable request.

amother
Dustypink

Post Fri, Apr 01 2022, 9:53 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Yep, this is the answer. It's not a reasonable request.

No. It is very reasonable to request. Remember you live in an apartment too and need to be considerate of others. If they were complaining about footsteps or normal noise, that would be unreasonable. Do you know what it sounds like when people are stomping, running, jumping?? Herds of elephants. Like living under a bowling alley. I have unreasonable neighbors above me. Crash boom bang at all hours of the night. It is awful. It makes us all miserable. No one should have to deal with that.

Maybe put carpeting down to soften the noise along with any other way to stop him from jumping? Reinforce he cant do it. Consequences for doing it. It can be done...

Sesame

Post Sat, Apr 02 2022, 2:53 pm
Seriously? No, the neighbour shouldn’t just deal with it!!! That’s really selfish.
In an apt building everyone should try being considerate of others. Living under running is awful! Op is aware of that and trying to be considerate. Good on her! No good ever comes from being unfair to neighbours.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Apr 02 2022, 4:06 pm
amother [ Dustypink ] wrote:
No. It is very reasonable to request. Remember you live in an apartment too and need to be considerate of others. If they were complaining about footsteps or normal noise, that would be unreasonable. Do you know what it sounds like when people are stomping, running, jumping?? Herds of elephants. Like living under a bowling alley. I have unreasonable neighbors above me. Crash boom bang at all hours of the night. It is awful. It makes us all miserable. No one should have to deal with that.

Maybe put carpeting down to soften the noise along with any other way to stop him from jumping? Reinforce he cant do it. Consequences for doing it. It can be done...

I second consequences. Running and jumping belongs outside. People train their dogs to behave calmly inside a home and physical activity outside.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 02 2022, 8:54 pm
We've been dealing with this for years... My four year old son just can't focus long enough and isn't old enough for an adhd diagnosis. Our downstairs neighbors are pretty understanding and have a pretty wild son themselves. But lately it's been very bad so grasping at straws. I actually think that having the gate up in the hall over shabbos did help. When it's closed, he can't run.

chick567

Post Sat, Apr 02 2022, 9:05 pm
Use masking tape to outline a maze on the floor all the way down the hallway. It’ll be fun for your son to navigate and slow him down. And You’ll get to walk however you want to.

teachkids

Post Sat, Apr 02 2022, 9:12 pm
What about putting down dots on the hallway floor pretty close together that he has to step on each one.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 02 2022, 9:23 pm
Lol it's a lack of an ability to focus... We've tried lots of things he can't remember for 5 minutes... He is only 4. He is also restless... It's a small apartment and we are cooped up a lot.

amother
Iris

Post Sat, Apr 02 2022, 11:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Lol it's a lack of an ability to focus... We've tried lots of things he can't remember for 5 minutes... He is only 4. He is also restless... It's a small apartment and we are cooped up a lot.

Honestly I'd let the kid be. He's cooped up & struggling as is, please don't add to his stress. It won't do him any good to constantly be told to calm/ quiet/slow down.

Generally, may I suggest that instead of seeking an ADHD diagnosis try to give him lots of space just to be,. I.E. unstructured playtime without expectations instead of scheduled activities. Of course I may be completely off the mark since I know so little. I do feel that oftentimes our expectations on such young children are so high & unrealistic.

amother
Dustypink

Post Sat, Apr 02 2022, 11:47 pm
I understand... I have kids with adhd too. But you cant let it just be. It is unfair to those below you and could be destroying their sleep, their mental health, their right to live peacefully. I see both sides because I live below a herd of wild elephants who seem to enjoy pogo sticks...and have kids with Adhd myself.

You can find other ways to let him burn off energy. Why is he stuck inside? Take him to a park!! Can you put up a swing or one of those doorway bars to let him hang from? I have a friend whose kid has Adhd and they put inside something to let him climb on- less noise for neighbors and it got his energy out!

Also, they can give diagnoses earlier. Even if you can't get medication yet, you can get suggestions, tips, OT... I know people whose kid didnt react well to medications (and insurance refused to cover any alternatives despite "failing" the other meds and they couldnt afford it out of pocket) so they took him off flour. Gluten free worked pretty well even if not perfect.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 02 2022, 11:55 pm
I work full time and it's still winterish here... However I do my best to take my kids out when I have a chance. We did playdates today and between that and the gate there was a lot less running... Though when I came to pick him up he was running inside with his friends, and the mom was saying, stop running, there are neighbors downstairs.... I do think it's normal for boys, we just have to do our best to minimize it without going crazy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics