Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Flying myself with a highly spirited 11 month old. Advice?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 2:51 am
My baby is quite advanced for his age and is already walking (more like running). He cannot sit still for two minutes, always needs to be busy with something, loves climbing anything he can find, and keeps up a running commentary of babble. He's very happy unless I try to stop him from something he wants to do, in which case he can throw a (very loud) tantrum.

Any wise tips to keep my and my fellow passengers sanity intact? It's a 5-hour flight Can't Believe It

imaima

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 2:58 am
Why do you need to fly?

amother
Linen

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 3:11 am
Plan a new activity for every 15 minutes of the flight.
Individually pack snacks and drinks for every half hour mark.
Try to preempt him by taking a walk down the aisle whenever possible.
If you can, buy him a seat so that you have more space to work with.
Suggestion: Choose a window and an aisle and there's a decent chance the middle won't get taken, and you'll have a whole row. If the middle is taken, they'll be thrilled to switch to the window or aisle!

Activity ideas:
- pennies in a pushka
- color magic (painting with just water)
- videos (of course)
- magnetic toys - magnatiles or similar
- blow up a balloon and tie it to the tray table with ribbon, you can play catch without it going anywhere
- pop it toy
- bag with crinkly material to play with
- cling stickers for the airplane window if you have a window seat

Most of all remember Gam Zeh Yaavor, the flight may be rough, people may be annoyed, but it has an end time. Do your best and don't expect more than that.

(I flew with a 15 month old impossible baby. I was supposed to be sitting with my husband, but flight got delayed and I was stuck between two men, baby on my lap, packed flight, couldn't nurse because of the setup. He screamed for a long time. There was nothing I could do. That flight did end eventually!)

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 3:19 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Plan a new activity for every 15 minutes of the flight.
Individually pack snacks and drinks for every half hour mark.
Try to preempt him by taking a walk down the aisle whenever possible.
If you can, buy him a seat so that you have more space to work with.
Suggestion: Choose a window and an aisle and there's a decent chance the middle won't get taken, and you'll have a whole row. If the middle is taken, they'll be thrilled to switch to the window or aisle!

Activity ideas:
- pennies in a pushka
- color magic (painting with just water)
- videos (of course)
- magnetic toys - magnatiles or similar
- blow up a balloon and tie it to the tray table with ribbon, you can play catch without it going anywhere
- pop it toy
- bag with crinkly material to play with
- cling stickers for the airplane window if you have a window seat

Most of all remember Gam Zeh Yaavor, the flight may be rough, people may be annoyed, but it has an end time. Do your best and don't expect more than that.

(I flew with a 15 month old impossible baby. I was supposed to be sitting with my husband, but flight got delayed and I was stuck between two men, baby on my lap, packed flight, couldn't nurse because of the setup. He screamed for a long time. There was nothing I could do. That flight did end eventually!)

Wow, thank you so much! These ideas are so helpful!

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 3:20 am
imaima wrote:
Why do you need to fly?

Does it matter? Fact is I'm flying

imaima

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 3:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does it matter? Fact is I'm flying

I would avoid it at all costs. That’s it

amother
Blueberry

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 3:30 am
imaima wrote:
Why do you need to fly?

This is irrelevant and not helpful to the Op who is asking a specific question.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 3:43 am
This is probably obvious, but plan to run around with him in the airport before the flight. Hopefully he'll get some of his energy out, you don't want him to be done before you started! Also don't board early, the less time you're stuck in your seats the better.

salt

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 3:53 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
This is probably obvious, but plan to run around with him in the airport before the flight. Hopefully he'll get some of his energy out, you don't want him to be done before you started! Also don't board early, the less time you're stuck in your seats the better.

Was going to say something similar.
Keep him up for as many hours as possible before the flight. Hope that he'll nap on the flight.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 6:06 am
Is he getting his own seat? Sounds like it would be easier than trying to hold him the entire flight

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 6:36 am
I’ve spent many flights to and from Israel Walking up and down the aisles with toddlers. Other passengers enjoy the entertainment Smile

amother
Marigold

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 7:54 am
I would wake him up at least 6 hours before the flight and then put him to sleep when you get on the plane. (as a mom who has flown with many spirited toddlers over the years) Make sure you have protein snacks not carbs on you and give him your undivided attention. Color with him, stickers etc.

amother
Black

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 8:10 am
Just reading the responses.
#1. Pennies in pushka can be dangerous.
#2. Changing his sleep schedule can backfire .
Sorry no great advice of my own but make sure you get a good night's sleep before!

SuperWify

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 9:27 am
When I flew alone with a baby that age I bought a seat for her and brought the card seat on the plane. She slept the whole time bH. It was a night flight.

Another option is not to pay for the seat but to beg for an extra one. Sometimes they are nice and accommodate if there are extra seats.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 9:31 am
Would he be ok to stay in a baby carrier? That may work for part of the flight.

Buy a big medication sorter like this one and fill it with snacks

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....arams

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 10:27 am
Thank you so much everyone for the advice and activity ideas! I really appreciate the responses.

I have now been able to add a seat for him and will be taking a car seat, but I can only hope that he will agree to sit in it. At the very least, I will now have more space.

Quote:
I would wake him up at least 6 hours before the flight and then put him to sleep when you get on the plane. (as a mom who has flown with many spirited toddlers over the years) Make sure you have protein snacks not carbs on you and give him your undivided attention. Color with him, stickers etc.

Do you have suggestions of protein snacks? Because his main on-the-go snacks are cheerios and squeezy applesauce thingies. I would love some ideas.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics