Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Imitation dairy recipes for Shavous

gryp

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 9:46 am
For those who don't have milchigs all year round, what do you do for Shavous? Skip blintzes and cheesecake altogether? Make pareve imitations?

I usually make a pareve cheesecake anyway for dessert on Yom Tov (we have fleishig meals), what else can I do? Should I make blintzes and fill them with something else?

Any ideas for me? TIA!

Raizle

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 9:51 am
why don't you have milchigs all year around?
allergys?

you could make a vegetarian or a meat lasagna and use tofuti cheese and make white sauce with soy milk

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 10:04 am
with non dairy eating guests, it doesn't pay to make an imitation dairy course. what's the point?

red sea

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 10:08 am
potato blintzes, lasagna with parve cheese, parve cheesecake

gryp

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 10:10 am
Allergies, I think. Rolling Eyes We're still deciding.

I was thinking more for breakfast since that's when we usually have milchigs, sorry, I should have clarified. I usually make a meat-veg lasagna for one of the Yom Tov meals, I've never tried pareve cheese yet though.

We usually have blintzes, cheesecake, blintz loaf, and a really interesting kind of cheesecake, but I can't make any of that this year so I'm looking for things to replace that with.

I was thinking I can fill the blintzes with potato or something else, but I'm deciding if it's worth the patchke-ing. The cheese ones come out really good, maybe we would enjoy potato ones too.

Last edited by gryp on Tue, May 06 2008, 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Raizle

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 10:12 am
ok try this.

buy a pie base
make custard and fill pie base
top with cherry pie filling

yum, tastes like cheesecake

gryp

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 10:21 am
I know there are recipes like that in the purple cookbook, thanks for the idea! I'll check them out and see what sounds good.

Love My Babes

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 11:45 am
chocolate moose wrote:
with non dairy eating guests, it doesn't pay to make an imitation dairy course. what's the point?
y doesnt it pay? I have an awesome parve cheesecake recipe that I use for dessert after fleishig meals. its so good. it totally pays. everyone always loves it.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 12:02 pm
because it doesn't accomplish the inyan of eating dairy.

B'tzimtzim

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 5:39 pm
It may not fullfill the inyan of eating dairy, but it definately gives the chag more of a Shavous 'flavor'. Dh holds that he must eat meat for every Yom Tov meal. So we usally have a milchig appetizer for one meal (to make me happy) and the rest is fleishig. But that doesn't mean that I don't try my best to have everything in the spirit of Shavous. Here is a pareve "Milchig" lukshin Kugel that I just love. It's expensive and fattening, so I only make it once a year, for Shavous.

1 lb. fine Noodles, cooked and drained
6 Eggs, beaten with a fork
2 sticks Margarine, melted
8 oz. plain pareve Toffuti cream cheese
2 cups pareve sour cream
1 cup Sugar
2 tsp. Vanilla

Topping:
1 cup Cornflake Crumbs
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1 tsp. Cinnamon

Starting with the eggs, combine all kugel ingredients, aside for noodles, in a mixer. Add the noodles by hand. Pour into a 9x13 pan. Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over kugel. Bake for 1 hour at 350.

I also make pareve cheese cake, and whatever else I can find that has a 'milchig taam'. I have a recipe for pareve pizza sticks (no fake cheese - just tomato sauce and whatever else) that is supposed to be good, but I have never had a chance to make them yet.

atlastamom

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 5:58 pm
Btzimtzim, can you please post that pareve pizza sticks recipe?
dh is lactose intolerant and I am always looking for new pareve things...
tia!

montrealmommy

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 10:52 pm
We are doing tuna/asparagus blintzes with "cream" sauce (it's really a pareve sauce made with rice dream) as the appetizer

We can't do dairy, soy or eggs, so even dairy substitue it out. although when I told dh I saw his heart sink, so I might make crustless cheescakes with blueberry topping (made this 2 years ago, cheesecake filling, canned blueberry pie filling, place blueberry on the bottom of muffin cups, fill 3/4 with cheese cake filling, bake in a water bath - to serve "flip" out of tin and blueberry filling drips down looking very pretty)!, just for the two of us. I've also made white russians (drink) as an apperatif/kiddush with pareve cake, since the kids don't really drink (B"H) they can still have cake!

Also, I recently saw a recipe using coconut milk - if I find it I will post!

LisaS

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 7:40 am
This is a great thread!

My dh is lactose intolerant and besides prefers fleishigs for yom tov but it is nice to have a shavuot flavor. I usually end up making one fish meal with parve food for dh and dairy for me and the kids.

I have no great dairy-substitute ideas but will be interested to read others' ideas.

drumjj

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 7:53 am
im allergic to milk and id love to know how to make a nice parve cheese cake if anyone has the recipe for this thanks?

LikeMeDoes

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 8:34 am
Here's a great recipe that always gets loads of compliments. I can't take them because my mom got this recipe from a friend, so...

Anyway, here it is. I always double it b/c it freezes great and if you have enough oven space, you can even quadruple it.

1 pie crust
1 tofutti plain cream cheese
2 eggs
¼ C sugar
1 sachet vanilla sugar
1 T lemon juice

Beat egg whites then add ½ sugar. Mix cheese, yolks, rest of sugar, vanilla sugar and lemon juice.
Fold egg whites in.

Bake at 180 (360) for 40-45 mins.

Needs to left overnight b/4 serving
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus