Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Am I knee-socksing wrong?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:34 am
WhatFor wrote:
This. Who seriously cares if OP and her kids like to match socks to clothes? She's not saying anyone else needs to do this. Live and let live.

OP, we do short or no socks in summer so maybe I don't get one aspect of this, but you mentioned some of their friends wear short socks. What color short socks do they wear? Can you match how their friends do or is the difference between color in short and long socks too different to compare?

It's literally not even that I care. Hence the thread title. It's taking so much effort that I wondered if I'm doing it wrong. I don't come from a knee socks background. We wore either sandals without socks or ankle socks and sneakers, as do my girls' friends.

We just got their summer sneakers, white Adidas, and I'm wondering now if it'll be easier to match or harder. I'll probably just do white knee socks for everything.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:38 am
amother [ Chicory ] wrote:
Just want to say I feel for you OP. I think the reason you're having a hard time is because you are trying to follow trends of a subculture that you're not currently surrounded by. (Well, your girls are I guess.) It's always harder to know/find the right thing when you're the only one trying to do it--even if are getting it right, you may not know it. It's hard to know on your own when the mismatch is not a problem at all but just the normal way everyone is doing it, or basic techniques like things like socks should match the shoes vs the shirt.

--spoken as a mother who also had girls in knee socks etc. when no one else around us did. It was really hard to figure out what to do. Plus trying to buy socks etc. online it was always much more complicated than it needed to be.

--spoken also as a mother who has since moved to a place where ALL the girls just wear tights (mostly white, but also black/gray/navy) every day of the year and everything always looks normal and is good enough and I LOVE IT.

Thank you! I feel like this post really gets it! BH BH my daughters are so far (I'm davening already for the teen years) happy being standard-bearers. Just spoke to my sister who's in a similar situation, but lives somewhere where the school imposes general rules. She says the girls all started off not knowing how to fashion the knee socks but that they wore all colors knee socks, including dark, with white sneakers, matching the skirt or going with a neutral gray. I guess that's how they adapted to the subculture. I have to find my way.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 11:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Sorry this is ridiculous on it's face. Do they not wear matching/coordinating clothing in the secular world?!?! I'm not talking about matching exact shades or anything extreme. I literally don't understand your point. If my daughters wore sandals without socks, as I did growing up, it would be easy. If they wore white ankle socks with their sneakers, as I did growing up, it would be easy. This is what their classmates do. They are not resentful or upset and have literally never asked to do either of these things. BH. But because knee socks are such a large visual part of their outfit, and my older daughter is a very girly girl, she's gotten into what knee socks "go" and what don't "go". So blue t-shirt, black skirt, and knee socks should be blue too, or have some blue component. Are you implying that I should shut her down and tell her that she's making people go OTD with her fashion choices?

Just ignore. She’s obviously very bitter about something.
I think she’s thinking about the fact that your daughters wear knee socks and their friends don’t but that wasn’t your point at all. She’s obviously not holding it against you that you aren’t sure how to match their socks.
Just move on…
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics