Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Have you had a hard time finding a speech therapist?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Chambray

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 8:02 pm
amother [ Mulberry ] wrote:
Not that poster, but need help.
My child has expressive language issues.

What can I do to help?

Read lots of books and stop and ask questions that lead to conversation and not yes/no questions.

amother
Mulberry

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 8:03 pm
amother [ NeonOrange ] wrote:
Can I hear from both of you why it’s not a good idea to take to a graduate program’s clinic? I’ve been taking my child for 4 years and while it’s affordable allowing me to do several sessions a week and Most of the time we get great clinicians who pour their entire energies to my child and we see progress, I’m always nervous that the quality of the therapy is not as great since they’re inexperienced. But then again their grade depends on how well they perform so I assume they give it their all and the supervisors are great so I’m torn.

Btw my child is still also not seeing a Slp for the summer and I’m cringing that every minute wasted may meen regression.

I went to 2 separate clinics.

One therapist put my child in front after an iPad.
That was the therapy.

The second one spoke to my child on a much lower level then DC was at, focusing on "more" Instead of "I want more" or "dog" Instead of "this is a dog".
I wanted my child to learn to communicate properly, not one word.
Also, my child would communicate certain things properly TO the therpist, but I didn't feel there was a good back and forth.

I've worked with therapists in other fields, so I feel like I have an understanding if my child is gaining from it.

If it worked you, that's great!!

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 8:18 pm
I don’t know about Brooklyn, but here in Lakewood there are MANY private speech therapists. You must do your research because some are duds, but there are plenty of excellent clinicians…
They charge a lot, and are very invested.
I know some people from Brooklyn who came to Lakewood for private evaluations and were very happy. Some them had their kids work with therapists over zoom.
Can’t say what’s going on in Brooklyn, but because here in Lakewood there aren’t as many DOE services, it has made it that there are many private options. Yes you have to pay, but the service isn’t comparable…

amother
Brunette

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 8:20 pm
Brooklyn

Where in Brooklyn?
One of my old coworkers from bk is an excellent therapist, I can put you in touch with her if you like. She is very tough and works her students hard, but parents love her

how old is your child? I can suggest some activities you can do in the meantime

jfk92

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 8:28 pm
Brooklyn

Might be able to help you if you PM me. I am an experienced, Brooklyn based private SLP. My rate is less competitive than others in the area but I don't have many slots available now. Hatzlacha

Last edited by jfk92 on Sat, Jul 09 2022, 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Mulberry

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 8:56 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Where in Brooklyn?
One of my old coworkers from bk is an excellent therapist, I can put you in touch with her if you like. She is very tough and works her students hard, but parents love her

Kensington.
Is your friend thorough insurance, the DOE (or with an RSA, not sure the difference) or private pay?

DC is 4.

Thank you so much!

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 5:16 am
Kensington.
Is your friend thorough insurance, the DOE (or with an RSA, not sure the difference) or private pay?

DC is 4.

Thank you so much!

I believe private pay. Do you want me to ask her how much she charges for an initial evaluation?
I know someone in Queens too if you would commute. Shes also great

Pooh

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 1:25 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Where in Brooklyn?

Can you help me also get in touch with this coworker of yours? I need a very tough therapist for my daughter urgently. Her speech is rapidly declining by the day!

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 2:18 pm
Pooh wrote:
Can you help me also get in touch with this coworker of yours? I need a very tough therapist for my daughter urgently. Her speech is rapidly declining by the day!

yes ill PM U when my phone is charged and ill give u her info

s1822

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 3:08 pm
My husband is bilingual in Yiddish speech therapist if anyone needs.
Feel free to contact me if anyone is interested. For now in the summer or during the year.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics