Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Upsherin - for a total first-timer.
Previous  1  2

MommyPhD

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 9:46 am
amother [ DarkRed ] wrote:
This sounds so moving. I hope your son is ok today.

Thank you, it was so special! He is doing well BH. He has a medical condition I've posted about here before.

amother
Narcissus

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 12:59 pm
amother [ DarkRed ] wrote:
You could just do a bag of chips (or I like to do the small bags of aleph bais cookies) with a taffy pop or similar. If you get any of the regular heimishe companies, you should be fine re hechsher.
As far as allergies, I personally wouldn't stress about it too much, unless you know of a specific kid with a specific allergy (for whom I would make a special pekele). Those mothers will certainly be vigilant and check the ingredients before allowing their kid to eat it.

We did that too. DH said it is an inyan. Snack with one or 2 sweets. Some ppl put prize in (mini car) which I think is really not necessary.

Our cheder had us buy the pekelach for class thru them. (to minimize hechsher and social pressure) It was great. Check if your cheder has rules. I made my own for family and neighbors cuz I wanted to.

Also check with cheder when they want you there. Lets say 10:30 so you need to cut by 9am.
Or if you want to cut in the evening, you can cut the night before if the zman is early enough.

Also prep your son to minimize melt downs. Tell him first Totty and family will cut with scissors.. All hair will go into the bag. Then we will cut with machine.. imitate the noise to him.
It is a good idea to make little ponies on each side of the head to minimize the chance of cutting off the peyos while family snips.
Some say don't show the kid the new hair cut in the mirror so you shouldn't scare him. Mine was very pleased to see himself. If child is getting overwhelmed with all the ppl and cutting, take him to another room to finish up. (would you like a hair cut in front of 30 ppl TMI )

I didn't bathe cuz it would've taken too long. My son wore a cape and we brushed off hair and wiped his neck with a washcloth.

Mazel tov!

amother
DarkRed

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 2:47 pm
Also, a lot of people save the hair. I don't know if there is a source for this. After those who wanted to took a snip, I made a pony in the back, which we cut off if one shot, then did the rest of the head. I stood near my son and collected all the snips in a bag while they were cutting. (Of course, we just threw out the tiny pieces that fell off once they were up to the machine.)

PeanutMama

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 3:04 pm
So it finally happened. Lol I prepped him and talked to him for weeks about what’s gonna happen. He still cried at the actual haircut 🙈
Dw I expected that xD
But now that it’s done, I need payos curling videos.

My friends and neighbors told me what to do but didn’t show me HOW to do it and I’m a visual learner lol. Ah well.
I’ll ask my neighbors again haha.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 3:07 pm
PeanutMama wrote:
So it finally happened. Lol I prepped him and talked to him for weeks about what’s gonna happen. He still cried at the actual haircut 🙈
Dw I expected that xD
But now that it’s done, I need payos curling videos.

My friends and neighbors told me what to do but didn’t show me HOW to do it and I’m a visual learner lol. Ah well.
I’ll ask my neighbors again haha.

Mazal tov! May he grow up to be a big tzaddik and you should see lots of nachas!
I also made my 1st upsherin this week bh.

MommyPhD

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 4:01 pm
Beautiful!! Mazal tov to your family.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics