Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Am I suppose to call them?

amother

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 11:48 am
I baught some skirts from jcrew and had to return a few, so I went to the store to return them and the sales girl returned a skirt I wasnt returning
it was a $30 credit
Am I suppose to call them and have them recharge me?

Mimisinger

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 11:48 am
yes

pinktichel

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 11:50 am
That would be the right thing to do! For all you know, they'll say it's yours free!

Tehilla

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 11:52 am
yes that's the yiddishe, halachically proper thing to do! as pink said, they may even just tell you they'll give it to you.

just this week I left Target at closing and discovered an item in the bottom of the cart not charged on my receipt. I ran back in and gave it to the majorly surprised security guard...he couldn't believe it.

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 11:54 am
There may not be a chiyuv to return something to a non jewish company when they make a mistake, halachically.

But, it may well be a kiddush Hashem to go the extra step and point out their error so that they can fix it.

yo'ma

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 12:06 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
There may not be a chiyuv to return something to a non jewish company when they make a mistake, halachically.

But, it may well be a kiddush Hashem to go the extra step and point out their error so that they can fix it.

I learnt that when it involves money, it's the same w/ a jew as w/ a [gentile]. Don't know from where I learnt it though.

Love My Babes

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 12:10 pm
I bought 4 pairs of tights and they only charged me for three and I went back and paid them. it was jewish store.

pinktichel

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 12:30 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:

JCrew may be owned by a Jew.

amother

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 1:08 pm
op here

I called and they recharged it for my coupon Sad

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 4:05 pm
don't be sad. You made a kiddush Hashem. Very Happy

mugsisme

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 11:51 am
OP, you did the right thing, even if it feels sad.

DH returned a $14 item to Home Depot, and they gave him a gift card. They made a (huge) mistake, and put $1400 on the gift card. DH told them their error. The store manager didn't even say thank you for pointing out their error. Oh well.

My rabbi once told me that when you have a situation like this (where you are doing a return of money to make a kiddush Hashem), you should have your husband do it since he wears a yarmulka, and it is more of a kiddush Hashem (then a woman wearing a shaitel).

cassandra

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 11:53 am
EstiS wrote:
don't be sad. You made a kiddush Hashem. Very Happy

How did she make a kiddush hashem if she did it over the phone?

gryp

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 12:01 pm
Recently we noticed something at the bottom of our shopping cart we hadn't paid for, when we were loading the shopping bags into the car. My husband went back to the store to pay for it, and they were completely shocked that he did.

cindy324

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 3:02 pm
Once, I waited until the last minute (think Erev Rosh hashana) to buy shoes for the kids.

Every single store was a mad house, so I walked into the only store that was empty, that I did NOT want to walk into, because their prices are outrageous, to me anyway.

I was desperate, so I bought 2 of my kids $80 pairs of shoes. When I handed my credit card over, all the while cursing under my breath for charging as much as they do, she swiped, then handed me the receipt to sign. The receipt said $16.00 instead of $160.00!! I let out a huge sigh, thinking I can get away real cheap here if I wanted to, handed her back the receipt and pointed out her mistake. The salesgirl was very thankful, her boss would've killed her.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 3:18 pm
I went to the supermarket with my mom lat week. We found the head of garlic in the bottom of our cart. Annoyingly, because it was so crowded, we went back and returned it. Moral of the story: Check your cart before you leave!

daisy

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 3:55 pm
I always say, I never was a shoplifter until I had kids! Wink

The annoying part is that I never notice until I've got everyone buckled in and everything unloaded. Usually, I just run in and leave it in the store.

cindy324

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 4:09 pm
Lol, daisy, when my kids were babies, old enough to take things off shelves, I would walk into grocery stores, and when I left, I would notice a block away that my kid lifted the nearest item off the shelf and had to run back. Once , it was a can of SPAM LOL I was def. NOT keeping that!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions