Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
How much did you spend on your sons bar Mitzva?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 2:46 pm
amother Teal wrote:
In all we spent approximately $35k on a kiddush, Shabbos lunch for family and party for ds class.
5 years ago in an in town community
And it was considered average!

Wow. That's way more more than we spent on our son's chasuna!

I am so happy I live OOT.

amother
Foxglove

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 2:52 pm
amother Tomato wrote:
Hired someone in town who is, for lack of a better term, a party planner. But not the fancy kind, just someone who orders and picks up the food for you, warms it, has people to serve it, sets up, and cleans up. I think she got the food from the knish shop, but picked up a couple of other things from other places (we had someone who was a vegetarian, so she got him something from David Chus).

Kiddush was a regular shul kiddush. It was the last one under pseudo-covid guidelines, though, which meant that it was private and not for the whole shul. I don't think that's an option at our shul at this point.

Please tell me who I n Baltimore does that kind of party planning. That would be perfect for planning my next barmitzvah , I would love that. what was the approximate cost?
thanks so much

GLUE

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 1:55 am
Lakewood, last year

Tefilyn- $2000
Bar Mitzvah boys clothes- $250
Bo By Yom- about $800
Shobbos- about $1500
People who hosted- $200 in gifts

Hall-When my oldest was going to be Bar Mitzvah we had a choice ether rent a place for about $500 or use that $$ in fixing up basement(this were the days when $500 could get you something)B'H we have been enjoying many Simcha there since then.

Clothes for family-A month after Sukkous who needs new clothes?

Flowers-Did not have any
Music-We used a box, What are they called now?
Photo-My DD took some
Benchers, yomukas, ect..-did not get any of that stuff(we had more then enough benchers to give out for benching)

Food for Bo By Yom-Shortly before I made my first Bar Mitzvah I was by two different ones
a)the person had it catered and hired waiters, she was one her feet by the kitchen most of the time to get it done right. There was a wait time between courses and giving them out cleaning up ect..
b)the person had a buffet and sat like a queen most of the time. There was no wait for the food you wanted it you just got up and took.
All my Bar Mitzvah were done Buffet style, we order or make depending on different things the hot food and put it into Sterno's, it also comes out cheaper then hiring a cater
We had another table for cake and salad
The biggest cost was food with a few things like NPGS disposable tablecloths(they were $0.15 cheaper then the $tree, I went there because it was more convenient) and other disposable dishes that cost some money.

We did not have waiters my kids did the set up and clean up(with some help from me)they also were the ones who schlepped the chairs from the G'mach

For the Shobbos- We had a ladies and a men's kiddush it did not brake the bank because we had a lot of people give us food. We also had 3 Shobbos meals for people who we put up or found a place to stay, we went shopping for food by sales, made most of it our self, did have some people bring some dishes.

Aylat

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 2:21 am
Yishuv in Israel in the summer

Prices in shekel
Hall 1500
Music 1700
Photography 2034
Food (catered buffet) 6200
Tablecloth gemach cleaning fee 110
Clothes (only DS, teen DD and me. DH and other DS wore regular shabbat clothes) less than 600

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 2:56 am
Yerushalayim prices in shekel

shul hall for the kiddush 300 (member's price)

bo bayom at home, I did all the cooking, gemach tablecloths, bought disposables - approx 2200 shekel (disposables have become soooo expensive!)

no music, no hair, no makeup

clothes - 2 suits (after bar mitzva they wear a suit during the week as well) 700, hat 400, tie, belt, shoes 400, men's size tzitzis 40. Total: 1540
No one else got new clothes

Tefillin 6000 + 200 for the bag

Kiddush for the whole kehilla, a lot of people. We did all the baking, my daughter (18) brought some friends to set up. Cost of ingredients 1400 shekel.

Total: 10240 shekel. approx $3000

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 4:52 am
GLUE wrote:

Benchers, yomukas, ect..-did not get any of that stuff(we had more then enough benchers to give out for benching)

I think most of us have more than enough of benchers Smile

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 9:17 am
GLUE wrote:
Lakewood, last year

Tefilyn- $2000
Bar Mitzvah boys clothes- $250

Explain to me how clothes for a bar mitzva boy cost so little.
Hat? Suit? New Shabbos shoes? White shirts for all week.

GLUE

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 11:02 am
amother Dustypink wrote:
Explain to me how clothes for a bar mitzva boy cost so little.
Hat? Suit? New Shabbos shoes? White shirts for all week.

Weekday white shirts-he has older brothers who had shirts that were still in wearable condition that did not fit them.

Hat-we buy the bottom of the line for Bat Mitzvah boys because they out grow them so fast and are also not so used to having a hat so don't take care of them so well. My father in law also new someone who gave us a good price.

Suit-we buy the jacket and pants separate, because with suits(so I am told)either the jacket fits or the pants fit, getting both that fit comfortable is very hard, there is or was a place that sold the left overs from different suit stores for nice prices. You go there and try to find matching pieces. My husband took him there, they were also selling outdated boys Shabbos shoes for nice prices. B"H we were successful there. I don't know if the store still exists.

amother
Tomato

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 11:38 am
amother Foxglove wrote:
Please tell me who I n Baltimore does that kind of party planning. That would be perfect for planning my next barmitzvah , I would love that. what was the approximate cost?
thanks so much

Sara Beck. It depends on so many factors -- call her. She's honest and we were very happy with her. The price she quotes you is the price you pay, and it was a beautiful simcha BH Smile

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 11:41 am
3000 stunning bar mitzva. Not sure what you all spent on for those prices mentioned. No wonder people are in debt. I hope you all can afford it. As an FYI we can afford it but in principal would never spend 20k on a bar mitzva.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 2:05 pm
amother Emerald wrote:
3000 stunning bar mitzva. Not sure what you all spent on for those prices mentioned. No wonder people are in debt. I hope you all can afford it. As an FYI we can afford it but in principal would never spend 20k on a bar mitzva.

This depends where you live.
A basic hall where I live for 60 couples will cost more than that. By now probably close to 6,000 .and that’s not including tefillin, clothing, music or photography….. only food and hall

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 5:48 pm
amother Emerald wrote:

How many people did you invite to the bar mitzva? Where are you located? You also didn't break down the costs if the 3k includes clothes for the bar mitzva boy and the rest of the family. Tefillin is also a huge expense. Even if you didn't have photography, music, invitations, flowers or anything extra.

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 5:53 pm
GLUE wrote:
Weekday white shirts-he has older brothers who had shirts that were still in wearable condition that did not fit them.

Hat-we buy the bottom of the line for Bat Mitzvah boys because they out grow them so fast and are also not so used to having a hat so don't take care of them so well. My father in law also new someone who gave us a good price.

Suit-we buy the jacket and pants separate, because with suits(so I am told)either the jacket fits or the pants fit, getting both that fit comfortable is very hard, there is or was a place that sold the left overs from different suit stores for nice prices. You go there and try to find matching pieces. My husband took him there, they were also selling outdated boys Shabbos shoes for nice prices. B"H we were successful there. I don't know if the store still exists.

I'm glad it could work for you, really. My DS's bottom of the line hat was a whopping 190, and he has no older brothers to get shirts from. What with the cheapest shirt costing around 20, and I bought the minimum amount of 5 shirts, that's another 100. I won't even get into the rest...

GLUE

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 9:50 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:
I'm glad it could work for you, really. My DS's bottom of the line hat was a whopping 190, and he has no older brothers to get shirts from. What with the cheapest shirt costing around 20, and I bought the minimum amount of 5 shirts, that's another 100. I won't even get into the rest...

I know, I know, I am making anther Bar Mitzvah soon and will have to get more shirts for that kid, I am starting to look for sales now.(Why do they have to wear white shirts)

I just brought one of my boys a new hat and I am like can't you wear a straw hat(it's only $25-$35).

Prices on everything has gone up on everything, I shudder to think what the next Bar Mitzvah will costs

amother
Foxglove

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 11:23 pm
amother Tomato wrote:
Sara Beck. It depends on so many factors -- call her. She's honest and we were very happy with her. The price she quotes you is the price you pay, and it was a beautiful simcha BH Smile

thank you!
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics