Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
What does your kid read? (ESL)
Previous  1  2

Reality

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 8:32 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I didnt mean the kid books amelia bedilia.
https://www.ameliabedeliabooks.....books

Got it. Similar to Cam Jansen and Encyclopedia Brown. Those are my go to books when my kids are up to their first chapter books.

I'm wondering if that is too hard for these girls.

amother
Snow

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 8:33 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
For the last two posters, in Israel english is started in schools in 3rd or 4th grade. By 7th, I would hope they are past those books.
Rappel are they not past the above books? That would be a bit weird if not.

In terms of topics, yes they are childish, but not in terms of language part.
It would be nice to have books for teens written in basic language.

amother
Snow

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 8:34 am
Rappel wrote:
Emotionally/intellectually - they're healthy 7th graders, maybe a bit on the naughty side Smile

Reading level - no, they're not past rhyming picture books. That's the sad part. They've had terribly fragmented instruction so far, and their teachers have focused more on grammar rules than language acquisition (probably because they weren't English teachers themselves.)

I'm not a certified teacher either, but they were scraping the bottom of the barrel by the time they called me, and I'm trying to do my best by them.

So now I'm looking for books with 4-8 lines a page, a lot of explanatory pictures, and subject matter that will interest a 12 year old. It's a bit of a challenge :/

I am a certified teacher though:)

amother
Snow

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 8:36 am
amother Yarrow wrote:
About dr. suess a lot of it is made up words so while it’s cute and works on sounds and reading it doesn’t teach vocabulary and grammar

You obviously need to select what works for you.
Berenstein bears are actually cute and funny, and then there is enough nuance to discuss with older girls, e.g. if they grasp the family dynamic.

Reality

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 8:37 am
OP wrote they have had disrupted instruction. Doesn't sound like they are even on the level of a second or 3rd grader in the US.

dena613

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 9:24 am
Search for threads about first grade book s

amother
Watermelon

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 9:41 am
Have you considered looking into the English reading schemes? In the UK they teach the children to read phonetically and they have reading books to complement the reading schemes. You also want to be teaching them the skills around reading-rhyme, rhythm, being able to differentiate between the different sounds etc. Dr Suess was great in that a lot of his words are nonsense words but you get a great understanding of rhyme.

amother
Leaf

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 9:48 am
I would look into books that they have read the Hebrew versions of. The Harry Potter books are going to be way above their level, but my dd in the US started working her way through the Hebrew version at this age. The first book isn't as hard as the others... Is there anything equivalent, a little lower level?

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 9:58 am
I taught groups of 10- 12 yo chassidish boys who are essentially ESL students though not as weak as your students seem to be.

Flat stanley is a fun concept and might amuse the students even if it's for younger children.
I always love teaching English songs because they are repetitive, fun to learn, a good way to practice proper pronunciation and often have high vocabulary words. Just One Shabbos, Ten Tikva lYeled, A Yid, High Hopes (Frank Sinatra)...
I recommend reading a novel to them that's about two grade levels above their current reading level. What grade level are they currently reading independently?

I hope you are not using a balanced literacy or whole language approach and that you are focusing on phonics. I know it's controversial, but in my experience it is really important.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 10:13 am
We taught our Israeli child to read English with the Biff Chip and Kipper books. They range in level (each level has a number maybe going from 1-12) and we just started at the bottom and worked our way up. All are appropriate. Although they are geared towards elementary school, they are cute an entertaining and really good for learning to read.

amother
Snow

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 10:46 am
amother Watermelon wrote:
Have you considered looking into the English reading schemes? In the UK they teach the children to read phonetically and they have reading books to complement the reading schemes. You also want to be teaching them the skills around reading-rhyme, rhythm, being able to differentiate between the different sounds etc. Dr Suess was great in that a lot of his words are nonsense words but you get a great understanding of rhyme.

This is not a focus in ESL.

amother
Cognac

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 10:52 am
Ok, If I understand you correctly, you are looking for books to read to/with a class of Hebrew Speakers who have lots of holes in their knowledge.

Regular American books like Cam Jansen etc. will be too difficult for them (as will books like Berenstain Bears...). You children's books are way below their intellectual level.

Do you have a rakezet? English room/closet? I am asking because what you need are graded readers (ספרונים) on level 1. The stories are more sophisticated but adapted for ESL. If your school doesn't already have them, do they have a budget to buy a few for you to read with your class?

I am linking some examples on YouTube that I have used.

https://youtu.be/ucZm7y5Gn8g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYD9bRCfbfU

https://youtu.be/eLG-bs4yMGE

*I am an English teacher in Israel and I teach 7th grade Hebrew speakers*

Good luck!

amother
Cognac

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 12:08 pm
And here is a whole channel of them on YouTube
https://youtube.com/c/EnglishStoryVN

Rappel

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 1:04 pm
I love you all.

Your suggestions are wonderful, and I'm looking them all up now. Amothers snow, baby blue, cognac - really, thank you for these titles and readers. These are exactly the tools I need to give them a context for broadening their vocabulary.

If I may ask the teachers in the forum:
*how do you divide up the class into smaller groups for more individual education? What do you use as the marker for skill levels?
*How do you maintain discipline in the other groups while you're teaching in one? I can imagine things getting pretty wild if I tried to focus on groups, but I don't know how to give the students attention on each level otherwise.
*How would you structure a "read a book" activity for such varied backgrounds? What skills should I be drawing out of these girls - reading comprehension, vocabulary, oral recitation, writing, critical thinking - anything else? Should everyone be doing the same book, or should every girl do a different one according to her taste?

amother
Cognac

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 2:10 pm
I don't divide the class based on skill levels. Sometimes it helps to prepare a few things and let the students choose where they think they should be. Are you teaching a הקבצה or a full כיתת אם?
There is something called "station rotation", you can look it up. Basically, you split the room into a few zones and put an activity in each one (example: one is a worksheet, one is a game, one is watching a clip, one is doing something on the board etc.) the students get 5-10 minutes in each station and then they switch. You can either walk around helping the girls (and then you will get a chance to get a sense of their level because it will be a smaller group), or you can make one station working with you, so you will be able to assess their level (ask them to read to you and explain what it means, or ask questions about the text to see if they understand).

Don't talk in front of them a lot with nothing for them to do at the same time. Students love copying from the board, it makes them feel productive and keeps them busy so they won't talk. So start the lesson with a vocabulary list (taken from the chapter in whatever book they are learning - I mean the textbook, each reading has a vocabulary list), and have the girls copy the list from the board. Then ask them to write sentences with five of them. See who wants to share out loud (that will also give you an impression of each girl's level...). Then tell them to find the words in the text and write the translation above them. Then show a short clip connected to the text. Only after that can you read the text with them and they will feel empowered because they will already understand some of it.

Each student should be able to choose their own reader so they can choose something on their level and read something they are interested in at their own pace. You can try to give 10-20 minutes of reading time at the beginning or end of the lesson. Does your school have a library? It might be nice to take them there to read once in a while to mix things up. You can do a trial class where they get 10 minutes with a few different books and then choose one that they like.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room