Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
BP, long bus rides for young kids. R u okay with this?
Previous  1  2  3

Alwaysmiling

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 9:46 pm
My girl is 45 minutes on the bus. After trying to change route but didnt work out we started the year like that. She actually loves it. She loves the bus, she has a great bus teacher who makes sure that all girls have a calm experience so yeah, im grateful that it works well.

gootlfriends

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 9:49 pm
If it makes your child unwell you might have to come up with another arrangement. I had my daughter on the bus at that age for a long ride but I didn't have a choice. It was a corner bus stop. We only did it one year.

amother
Eggshell

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 9:50 pm
meeze wrote:
All of you in the administrative school system think of ways to improve in ways to help the kids accedemically, socially and mentally. If there's a concern for 1 child's parent and they bring this attention to multiple parents and we form a load voice, things can change.

How do we call on this together? How can we promote change in this area of bus routes?
Only when there is major news of child missing, or in danger do we seek change? Why can't we have a change to continue a happy day for the child till he reaches bedtime? Or do we always have to come home to crying grumpy wild, whiney and sick nauseous kids? (In my case)

My son last week came home from the bus and fell right into my hands, and collapsed with his eyes shut. It took me 2 minutes to get him to talk if he's ok and didn't faint! He then told me that he wants to throw up, must of been that he was dehydrated!
I can go on and on with stories.

Thank you all for letting me share here and bring attention to something that matters to me!

Do YOU have any suggestions? It's easy to throw it on the administration, but realistically what are they supposed to do? They have no control over traffic.
Adding more buses would be a huge expense that parents would not want to pay for. And likely they won't be able to find drivers anyway. And more buses on the streets would make the traffic and gridlock even worse .

If your son is collapsing when he comes off the bus, then you as the parent really needs to do something about it, even if it is inconvenient for you.

meeze

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 10:00 pm
amother Eggshell wrote:
Do YOU have any suggestions? It's easy to throw it on the administration, but realistically what are they supposed to do? They have no control over traffic.
Adding more buses would be a huge expense that parents would not want to pay for. And likely they won't be able to find drivers anyway. And more buses on the streets would make the traffic and gridlock even worse .

If your son is collapsing when he comes off the bus, then you as the parent really needs to do something about it, even if it is inconvenient for you.

Any comment about "its expensive" or related to hiring new busses and drivers, please, give me a break!

First hand knowledge of 5 people we spoke to in the last few months who gave to bobov, viznitz, satmar and belz millions of dollars. One person this past year paid 2 new buildings in full! There are enough donors sponsoring big budgets and projects for the schools, so they could come up with a budget for these "extra expenses of bussing" if needed and they will get it!

amother
Eggshell

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 10:04 pm
meeze wrote:
Any comment about "its expensive" or related to hiring new busses and drivers, please, give me a break!

First hand knowledge of 5 people we spoke to in the last few months who gave to bobov, viznitz, satmar and belz millions of dollars. One person this past year paid 2 new buildings in full! There are enough donors sponsoring big budgets and projects for the schools, so they could come up with a budget for these "extra expenses of bussing" if needed and they will get it!

OK I hear that. But even if the money part wasn't an issue, adding more buses would not really solve the problem.
There is still tons of traffic in Boro Park that the school has zero control over.
And more buses in the streets would just cause more traffic.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 10:22 pm
No I'm not ok with it. But I don't have a say in the matter.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 10:41 pm
amother Glitter wrote:
I can imagine some of my more social kids preferring this, actually. I offered to drive one of them to camp (we don’t live so far from campgrounds) but they preferred to go on the bus, a further trip, because “camp starts on the bus.”

Yes! And to all the judgy imas out there some kids are ok with it and the benefit to mom might be exponentially greater than the inconvenience to the child. Her sis-in-law does not need to share if she's struggling with depression or a challenging child and this extra time makes all the difference for her mental health.

amother
Pear

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 11:23 pm
meeze wrote:
All of you in the administrative school system think of ways to improve in ways to help the kids accedemically, socially and mentally. If there's a concern for 1 child's parent and they bring this attention to multiple parents and we form a load voice, things can change.

How do we call on this together? How can we promote change in this area of bus routes?
Only when there is major news of child missing, or in danger do we seek change? Why can't we have a change to continue a happy day for the child till he reaches bedtime? Or do we always have to come home to crying grumpy wild, whiney and sick nauseous kids? (In my case)

My son last week came home from the bus and fell right into my hands, and collapsed with his eyes shut. It took me 2 minutes to get him to talk if he's ok and didn't faint! He then told me that he wants to throw up, must of been that he was dehydrated!
I can go on and on with stories.

Thank you all for letting me share here and bring attention to something that matters to me!

No one gets dehydrated from sitting on the bus for an hour.
There really is nothing much the schools can do about it, most healthy kids don't become faint and dehydrated from riding the school bus. I think that this is something that's your responsibility as the mother, and not the schools responsibility. Schools can't control traffic.
Another point, he might be feeding off your hysteria about it and it's just making him anxious.

amother
Pear

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 11:25 pm
meeze wrote:

More busses on the road will add more traffic. It's a no win situation. Schools cannot control traffic.
(Besides the point, there's a massive bus driver shortage, no one wants to be a bus driver.)

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 11:44 pm
amother Pear wrote:
No one gets dehydrated from sitting on the bus for an hour.
There really is nothing much the schools can do about it, most healthy kids don't become faint and dehydrated from riding the school bus. I think that this is something that's your responsibility as the mother, and not the schools responsibility. Schools can't control traffic.
Another point, he might be feeding off your hysteria about it and it's just making him anxious.

It's possible the kid suffers from motion sickness. The bus ride is probably torturous for him. I was like this as a kid - came home sick and nauseous every day. My parents arranged for an older student or teacher to walk me to and from school every day until I was old enough to walk alone.

amother
Pear

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 11:47 pm
amother Chocolate wrote:
It's possible the kid suffers from motion sickness. The bus ride is probably torturous for him. I was like this as a kid - came home sick and nauseous every day. My parents arranged for an older student or teacher to walk me to and from school every day until I was old enough to walk alone.

If this is the case, then I think it's the mother's responsibility to make different arrangements. There isn't much that the schools can do about it. Traffic is insane, schools can't control traffic.

amother
Magnolia

Post Fri, Feb 24 2023, 7:07 am
For my little kids I changed the bus route and walk a block to pick up the bus so it’s shorter. My older ds is on the bus for an hr he doesn’t come home until 7 everyday it’s crazy bc he’s only 11 but what am I going to do? we live so far away from the school so he only walks when it’s gorgeous out and even then it takes 30 minutes.

amother
Almond

Post Fri, Feb 24 2023, 9:04 am
amother Wandflower wrote:
Bus routes are much faster when they only do corner stops. But you want to have your cake and eat it too. You want door to door but yes, it takes longer.

Not necessarily, my daughter has a corner stop and she’s also on the bus for an hour.

amother
Pear

Post Fri, Feb 24 2023, 10:41 am
amother Almond wrote:
Not necessarily, my daughter has a corner stop and she’s also on the bus for an hour.

Your daughter has a corner stop or the entire bus route is corner stops only?

amother
Mintgreen

Post Fri, Feb 24 2023, 4:00 pm
bsy wrote:
All the chasidish schools should switch to corner stops only. Both my kids schools do that, as well as the school I work in. Making multiple stops every 2 houses is so ridiculous and inefficient

Or add buses.it’s not just traffic. It’s long routes. Overpacked buses.

Bh my kids are on the bus about 30 min maybe 45 on some routes.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Feb 24 2023, 4:17 pm
amother Wandflower wrote:
Bus routes are much faster when they only do corner stops. But you want to have your cake and eat it too. You want door to door but yes, it takes longer.

Agree. The BYBP girls are on the bus for quite a short ride.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Feb 24 2023, 4:17 pm
I give my kid a “bus snack”, water bottle, and some toys to play with like 3-4 matchbox cars. He also sits at the window so he is ok with it. He is on the bus for a shorter amount of time though.

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Feb 24 2023, 5:26 pm
Find out what the route is. Sometimes they can be quite close to your house, and by 1/2 hour before. Pick her up from there or from the school.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children