Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
S/O onesies- Is it also dysfunctional not to put your child
Previous  1  2

Do you children wear undershirts (post diaper to pre puberty)
Every single day  
 34%  [ 49 ]
Never  
 41%  [ 60 ]
Yes except when it’s really hot  
 24%  [ 35 ]
Total Votes : 144

NechaMom

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 10:53 am
Yes for girls until they switch to bras.
Boys too unless they use the undershirt Tzitzis.
I like proper underwear. I also believe in folding ‘em. Wink
I guess I’m used to it because I grew up that way. I don’t think it’s dysfunctional not to wear though.

amother
Celeste

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 11:06 am
Once upon a time people wore a full body slip under their dresses. It was considered inappropriate not to.
Now it’s down to an undershirt.

I find it convenient though.
All the sweat gets soaked into the undershirt.
The clothes last longer.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 11:11 am
None of the options worked for me.

My kids own summer and winter undershirts but they don't wear them daily. They wear them when it's very cold and I make them or when what they are wearing is see-through. DS doesn't even mind his tzitzis on his bare skin.

So my answer is sometimes. Not always and not never. But I don't think I've ever seen them putting them on by themselves without me giving one to them.

Regarding babies, I do the same thing. Sometimes yes and sometimes no. I often prefer no because it's easier for me to check for a dirty diaper.

sequoia

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 11:13 am
I’m having a heart attack thinking of layers in the summer.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 11:15 am
I grew up wearing sleeveless undershirts year round, until started wearing bra.

My DD chose to wear a sleeveless shell over bra.
For tznius and comfort.

She is a bit sensory and needed shell under waistband of tights.

amother
Kiwi

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 11:18 am
The only people who wear undershirts in my home are:

Babies that wear diapers (sleeveless fresh white onesies) - to keep diaper secure
My husband. He prefers short sleeved undershirts to catch underarm sweat

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 11:27 am
amother Celeste wrote:
Once upon a time people wore a full body slip under their dresses. It was considered inappropriate not to.
Now it’s down to an undershirt.

I find it convenient though.
All the sweat gets soaked into the undershirt.
The clothes last longer.

I still wear a full slip every single day (without sleeves), started wearing them once I switched to a bra (as far as I remember,) and the same I do with my daughters. If I find myself without it while dressing myself I'll skip it, dress and then go fetch it. these few min. without it is soooo uncomfortable, and I feel like I can't bend or raise my hand because I'll be exposed. as a kid I always wore undershirts tucked into my tights to avoid accidental midriff exposure.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 1:14 pm
zaq wrote:
Dysfunctional? Ya gotta love the way imas throw around psychology terms like candy at an aufruf. I happen to love hyperbole as a form of emphatic humor, but you don't appear to be laughing.

Read my lips: Doing things your way, even if "everyone" on your block does them differently, does not a dysfunction make. According to Wikipedia, A dysfunctional family is a family in which conflict, misbehavior, and often child neglect or abuse and sometimes even all of the above on the part of individual parents occur continuously and regularly, leading other members to accommodate such actions.

There was a time in history and among certain social classes that a man was considered borderline n*ked if he appeared in shirtsleeves with no jacket. There was a time in fairly recent history that American women didn't go out of the house without gloves and some flimsy excuse for a hat. There are societies in which a woman is considered worse than naked if she appears in public with her face uncovered. None of this applies to Western society today, and there's no need to apply archaic standards to current life.

Undershirts were necessary in an era before wash machines, when outer garments were washed infrequently and needed protection from sweat and body oils. Outer garments may also have been made of fibers that were scratchy and irritating, and an undergarment helped to protect the skin. (Sometimes, though, it was the undergarment that was irritating. Ask your great-granddad about woolen gadkes.) An undergarment was smaller, easier to wash, and did not require pressing.
None of this is true today except, perhaps, the skin irritation part. Some people have problems with certain fabrics, metal snaps and zippers, bulky seams and the like, in which case they need an undergarment. Males wearing tzitzit would probably want to shield them from sweat and body oils, and some people might want undershirts with sleeves to protect their shirts from underarm sweat stains.

Otherwise, an undershirt is fully optional. Although I have to admit that I don't like the look of men in light-colored cut-and-sewn shirts with no undershirts. It just strikes me as a little sleazy. Little kids are a whole different story, and an undershirt under a cotton knit shirt seems redundant unless it's being worn for extra warmth.

Obviously (or not?) I use the word dysfunctional in jest.

DrMom

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 2:06 pm
Boys wear undershirt tzitzit. DH either wears undershirt tzitzit or regular undershirt in winter only.

The females don't wear undershirts. Too hot most of the year.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 7:58 pm
amother Ecru wrote:
I still wear a full slip every single day (without sleeves), started wearing them once I switched to a bra (as far as I remember,) and the same I do with my daughters. If I find myself without it while dressing myself I'll skip it, dress and then go fetch it. these few min. without it is soooo uncomfortable, and I feel like I can't bend or raise my hand because I'll be exposed. as a kid I always wore undershirts tucked into my tights to avoid accidental midriff exposure.

Me too!
Few times I skip it cause I’m home I feel so undressed every time my top rolls up so I change into one...

amother
Hyacinth

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 11:06 pm
My dh feels (based on halacha) that my boys should be wearing undershirts under their tzitzis, so we start that at age 3.

My girls don't wear undershirts.
When they develop to the point of needing extra coverage, I start with training bras

There were not enough options in the polll!! I voted never, but as you see, my boys wear daily

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 1:17 am
I called our rav when my oldest turned 3 and asked about undershirt tzizis vs regular tzizis with undershirt he said the second is much more preferable according to our minhagim as zizis shouldn't tough skin directly

amother
Cognac

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 4:21 am
SuperWify wrote:
In undershirts once they are done with diapers?

My son wears undershirt tzizis most days except when it’s really hot or when he doesn’t want to. Not something I feel thats worth the fight. He dresses warmly enough.

My mother used to scream at us when we were younger and didn’t wear one (pre puberty obviously). Come to think of it, I’m not sure why…

I really don’t see why it’s necessary on a hot day.

What do you do?

I regret not pushing undershirts for dd after being toilet trained. It's been over a year since we haven't been able to find a training bra for her that is comfortable enough, because she's simply just not used to it.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 4:32 am
My kids wear an undershirt every single day.

I heard from a chiropractor that little kids need a snug undershirt to keep their body temperature stable; because they're so small they can get cold much faster. And if they're regularly chilly, it can impede their growth. Yes I know some people consider chiropractors not to be good medical advisors, but since I heard this I am so particular about undershirts. And honestly the amount of chilly babies I've seen wearing thin strappy clothing in the summer is astounding - yes its hot outside but we spend most of our days indoors in a temperature controlled lovely 68 degrees.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children