Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/o selling on ebay

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 9:02 pm
Someone mentioned selling on ebay as a way of making money at home.
What's involved?
Can someone walk me through the process of how to sell something on ebay?
Thank you

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 11:50 pm
I sell on ebay as one of my income streams. Once I've sourced the product and am ready to sell, I search for the product on ebay, choose an item like mine and click the "have one to sell?" sell now (near the product photo).

Change the photo to a photo of YOUR product (not the photo someone else posted). Change the description to depict the condition of your item and change the price limits and shipping suggestions, etc. List. boom. easy peasy. SO MUCH easier than amazon FBA. SO MUCH EASIER. With amazon you'll want barcode scanners and listing software and all the bells and whistles. BUT, much harder to scale than amazon FBA. You can list hundreds of items in a day on amazon. But ebay is much more individual and you have to do all the shipping. Pros and cons to everything.

Ask nicely for feedback when they've received your item and be prompt in giving your feedback to your buyers thanking them for their prompt payment.

hatzlacha!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 12:05 am
super helpful info... thank you!!
so you constantly go to the post office?

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 12:17 am
I do anyway because of my main business (ebay is a side hustle)--- but you could also schedule pickups. I just really don't mind hitting the post office because it's REALLY close and I use the kiosk.

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 12:18 am
(PS--- also I don't trust my neighbors not to steal stuff off my porch--- lol)

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 12:26 am
Selling on ebay is very easy. The million dollar question for me is WHAT to sell. Prices on eBay are very competitive, I think more competitive than Amazon.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 3:19 pm
thank you
so it seems you can print postage at home too (and then schedule a pickup)
How do you calculate weight - do you have a special scale?

amother whitesmoke - yeah... not sure what I could/would sell, first thinking through the steps if this is something I can do and how...

Thanks for the responses so fuar

amother
Glitter

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 4:42 pm
You could a postage scale. However you can also use flat rate boxes from the Post Office depending on what you are selling.

I used to sell on EBAY years and years ago - vintage jewelry and tchotchkes. But that was a completely different time.

The most difficult thing is finding items to sell at a competitive price.

You would probably need to study the FINISHED listings to see what prices are actually achieved.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 7:54 pm
do people generally buy things at closeout prices and then resell?
any and all tips appreciated!

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 9:25 pm
closeouts is one way to go, yes. Personally I've sold things I've received for free from previous businesses and extra items around the house that we no longer need. But garage sales and thrift stores and library book sales etc etc is one way to go.

Buying from amazon to sell on ebay doesn't normally work well but buying from ebay to sell on amazon is a HUGE moneymaker for many and there are lots of people doing $10,000 per month from it-- but that's not me. Smile I'm personally not willing to put in the effort and time to get ungated in various categories and invest in listing software at this time because of everything else going on in my life. So for me ebay is easy and a fun side hustle.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 9:32 pm
yes - like me. not looking to do this on a big scale, more of a side hustle. Such an interesting idea to buy in thrift shops and sell on ebay... - do you only sell brand new or also used and list condition as such?
Would you mind sharing some examples of things you sold?
Also, any recommendation for a postage scale?
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions

amother
Starflower

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 9:39 pm
I sell things that we never used that I have in my house or things I found cheap in stores. I use the money for school and college tuition and petty cash. I bring in at least $500 a month and I do it in my spare time which isn't too often.

Handbags sell really well if they are brand name so if you have a local thrift store you might want to start with those.

I used to sell clothing on Ebay but it's not so popular for that anymore and instead I box it up and send it to ThredUp or I sell clothing on Poshmark.

For heavy items I use Facebook Marketplace but I don't advise it as you meet strangers I always have someone with me when I do a meet up.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 9:44 pm
amother Starflower wrote:
I sell things that we never used that I have in my house or things I found cheap in stores. I use the money for school and college tuition and petty cash. I bring in at least $500 a month and I do it in my spare time which isn't too often.

Handbags sell really well if they are brand name so if you have a local thrift store you might want to start with those.

I used to sell clothing on Ebay but it's not so popular for that anymore and instead I box it up and send it to ThredUp or I sell clothing on Poshmark.

For heavy items I use Facebook Marketplace but I don't advise it as you meet strangers I always have someone with me when I do a meet up.

thank you - so the ones you buy in thrift shops are used and you list the condition?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 15 2023, 9:58 pm
What percentage of the sale does ebay take?

Also - do I need to ship the day its sold or can it be within a day or two?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics