Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
When are you making your pesach Chulent?
Previous  1  2

Mevater

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 9:40 pm
s1 wrote:
I have a crockpot on a time switch that will come on Friday morning and I’ll make the cholent in it then
If I manage I’ll make a kishke in advance and freeze it

I wonder how that works. With a 24 hr timer it will go on and off the same hour for 3 days straight.

Is there a timer that works for a few days, where it stays off for 2 days and goes on the third day?

estreya

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 12:37 am
Mevater wrote:
I wonder how that works. With a 24 hr timer it will go on and off the same hour for 3 days straight.

Is there a timer that works for a few days, where it stays off for 2 days and goes on the third day?

Just use a 7 day programmable timer, something like this: (amazon) programmable timer

We use it all the time, especially on 3 day YTs.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 1:05 am
Mevater wrote:

We prefer a 24 hour timer. Let's say we set the timer to go on every day at 12pm and off every day at 4pm. On Friday, we make sure to remove the off pin at noon (or at least before 4pm) so that it continues on for all of shabbos (but the other days it was just on 4 hours each day).

frog

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 1:49 am
Last time we had this configuration, I froze the kugel mixture (for the cholent) to keep it from going brown.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 2:15 am
Sounds like Yapchyk

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 6:52 am
I made it & froze it in the crock pot.
Now I have another question:
When do I put it in the crock pot to cook?
The night before on low?
How long does it need?
I’m guessing I need to add a cup or two of boiling water to it.

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 11:39 am
amother OP wrote:
The night before on low?
How long does it need?

You made it already?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 12:11 pm
amother Navyblue wrote:
You made it already?

Yes. I wanted it off My head

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 12:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes. I wanted it off My head

So you did the shredded mixture and will add the rest on Friday?

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 1:47 pm
What do you freeze? Raw shredded mixture or partially cooked? Did you add cubed potatoes and meat too?

amother
Anemone

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 2:45 pm
scientist wrote:
I’m curious. If the potato batter is being used for a Paysach chulent, why are you concerned about it not turning brown before you cook it? Isn’t it going to turn brown anyway by the time you serve it on Shabbos afternoon?

This was my question too. If you cook it in the crockpot overnight, isn't it turning brown anyways?

amother
Anemone

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 2:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
The night before on low?
How long does it need?

Well you definitely need to put it up before shabbos, I would think that should be enough time..

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 10:31 pm
I made the whole thing & put in freezer

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 10:33 pm
Ra mom - do you add eggs to the mixture? The instructions don't mention the eggs but they are listed in the ingredients. I'm imagining if eggs are in the mixture it probably resembles more of a kugel

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 11:10 pm
I the past I just did lots of shredded potatoes and onion.
Today I made the whole mixture with egg and oil, put it in a crockpot liner and then sealed in a ziplock bag. On erev shabbos I will transfer to crockpot and add potato slices, meat, spices, kishka (maybe sweet potato) and water.
Op put the whole thing - meat and potatoes in the freezer.. I’m a drop nervous about freezing raw potatoes. It’s probably fine but it shouldn’t take long to add after the meal on Friday afternoon.
Op, please do let us know how it came out. If it worked well for you I would do the freezer method next time we have the shabbos set up like this.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 3:30 am
amother Navyblue wrote:
I the past I just did lots of shredded potatoes and onion.
Today I made the whole mixture with egg and oil, put it in a crockpot liner and then sealed in a ziplock bag. On erev shabbos I will transfer to crockpot and add potato slices, meat, spices, kishka (maybe sweet potato) and water.
Op put the whole thing - meat and potatoes in the freezer.. I’m a drop nervous about freezing raw potatoes. It’s probably fine but it shouldn’t take long to add after the meal on Friday afternoon.
Op, please do let us know how it came out. If it worked well for you I would do the freezer method next time we have the shabbos set up like this.

What’s the concern of putting it all in freezer? What’s the dif in freezing that or a potato kugel? One is raw & one is cooked ??

amother
Maple

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 8:29 am
I make mine stew style.
I have loads of ready fried inions in the fridge. (0ne of my staples I make first. I freeze in containers)
I'll be putting it up some time friday. I'll have a low flame on. takes forever to come to a boil, but then cooks well.
cube lots of potatoes.
put it in dutch oven pot with lots of fried onions, beef chuck stew, flanken bones, salt and water.
start on an open flame, and then put a blech.
It can also be made in oven if you leave on 200. just make sure there's enough water.

asd3

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 8:32 am
What about doing this recipe in the oven in a deep foil pan? Would it work on 250 or 300? When would you put it in?

amother
Azalea

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 9:25 am
This is my plan for Shabbos of Pesach:

I plan on making 2 smallish potato kugels and freezing them, and defrosting before Shabbos, putting one on bottom of crockpot or pot on oven, meat and spices in the middle, and the other kugel on top, with some water in crockpot or pot.

Any reason I shouldnt do it this way?

Any suggestions?

amother
Sage

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 10:37 am
I make it stew style. Sautee onions and brown the meat in the sautéed on onions. Add lots of cubed potatoes, some diced very tiny for more texture and add spices and salt.
I already sautéed the onions and meat and put it in the freezer. Friday morning I'll pop it into the crockpot and add potatoes water and spices. Done.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics