Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Can I discuss salary with other people in my office
Previous  1  2  3

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 1:12 pm
amother Birch wrote:
Also, you kind of need to be prepared to actually leave that job. Otherwise the employer can just say no to your raise, and you have no choice but to be okay. My husband hates change and hates switching jobs. So he can kick and scream for years about his salary, but unless he tries to find another job then I don’t think there is anything he can do. Also, there is a penalty if you started years ago, because inflation and the market have raised wages for new hires … and they might be making more than someone who is there 10 years.

Not at all. I can ask, they can agree or negotiate, I can agree or negotiate. I’m not demanding anything or else

amother
Bone

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 1:19 pm
I think it’s completely acceptable to ask in a non pressure way, making it clear it’s okay if they don’t want to answer or feel uncomfortable.

The ONLY person who benefits from employees not sharing this information is the employer.

It doesn’t hurt to ask. And you’ll never know unless you do..

Amarante

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 1:23 pm
amother Freesia wrote:
Your can ask for a raise and be prepared for a no without wanting to leave the job.
There is Nothing wrong with asking.

Completely agree. It is completely normal for an employee to ask for a raise and then the parties negotiate something that is less than employee wants.

In some companies - especially those which aren't well run - you have to ask to get a raise.

In larger companies the manager of a department will be given a budget and it is up to the manager to allocate raises. So instead of dividing equally so everyone gets the same percentage, one employee will be given a larger percentage of the pot. Often this is done NOT because that employee is better but because they are viewed as more assertive and thus it is easier to give them the better raise because the boss knows the other employees will just accept whatever they get quietly.

The situation in which one should be prepared to leave is when you receive a job offer with a higher wage and go to your boss and ask for a counter offer. In that case, you really should be prepared to accept the other position because it generally sours your relationship with the boss. Or at least this is what is advised by career coaches.

jj1236

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 1:36 pm
100% ask
They can say they feel uncomfortable or they can be nice about it and share. I had a feeling at my work the men were being paid more than the women so I finally asked some men and found out it was very true. They get paid way more than me. I spoke about it with my boss and got no where but since I can’t leave for various reasons, I don’t have any leverage. Although now I know I will ask for a raise and he knows that I know that they have enough money in the budget to do this.
The way they succeed is assuming no one will ask about anyone else’s salaries. Women in particular are way more hesitant to ask for a raise as well. Asking about others salaries helps everyone because then you all know you can ask for a raise. Do it!

salt

Post Mon, Apr 24 2023, 7:14 am
heidi wrote:
So funny- today my coworker and I compared paystubs- we're in Israel LOL LOL

Interesting, in Israel you can get away with asking just about everything, but I wouldn't ask someone in the same workplace as me, and in the same position, how much they earn, and I would be very shocked if someone were to ask me.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Apr 24 2023, 7:20 am
Amarante wrote:
Completely agree. It is completely normal for an employee to ask for a raise and then the parties negotiate something that is less than employee wants.

In some companies - especially those which aren't well run - you have to ask to get a raise.

In larger companies the manager of a department will be given a budget and it is up to the manager to allocate raises. So instead of dividing equally so everyone gets the same percentage, one employee will be given a larger percentage of the pot. Often this is done NOT because that employee is better but because they are viewed as more assertive and thus it is easier to give them the better raise because the boss knows the other employees will just accept whatever they get quietly.

The situation in which one should be prepared to leave is when you receive a job offer with a higher wage and go to your boss and ask for a counter offer. In that case, you really should be prepared to accept the other position because it generally sours your relationship with the boss. Or at least this is what is advised by career coaches.

What do you mean by that?

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Apr 24 2023, 7:27 am
jj1236 wrote:
100% ask
They can say they feel uncomfortable or they can be nice about it and share. I had a feeling at my work the men were being paid more than the women so I finally asked some men and found out it was very true. They get paid way more than me. I spoke about it with my boss and got no where but since I can’t leave for various reasons, I don’t have any leverage. Although now I know I will ask for a raise and he knows that I know that they have enough money in the budget to do this.
The way they succeed is assuming no one will ask about anyone else’s salaries. Women in particular are way more hesitant to ask for a raise as well. Asking about others salaries helps everyone because then you all know you can ask for a raise. Do it!

You probably know paying men more than women for the same work is illegal. Here's an article on women suing their employer:
https://www.vox.com/the-highli.....iling
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics