Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Honesty Question About Maternity Leave?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 12:26 pm
Chavamom - Can you confirm that you mean that your company does this too? (or that you know of a company that does?)

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 12:36 pm
At my company, I can go to part time, at least temporarily (for a year or so) and still have my benefits, accumulate service time, etc. I can even take a leave of absence. Of course, pay is adjusted, but my withholding for my benefits is the same amount. So, I may have to pay out of pocket if I'm on leave, but it's a lot less than private insurance! I can also keep contributing to my 401k and pension.

the typical timeline expected is 2 weeks before due date stop working, then 6 weeks after due date come back (this is practically speaking adjusted for what really happens, but it's the scoping tool most managers use to start planning), then part time possibly for 1-3 mos, then full time.

I believe my company has an official Family Leave Policy allowing for leave up to 1 yr, kal v'chomer for full time work. As mentioned above, they pay benefits, and during maternity leave, you deplete leftover sick time at 100% pay rate, and then have short term disability (the company pays for this, I do not have to pay the premiums at all) for 6-12 weeks depending on your dr. at 60%.

Leahh

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 6:47 pm
Are you in NY?
The law in NY regarding health insurance is that if you were a full time employee before you gave birth EVERYTHING has to be covered during you pregnancy, L&D, and recovery. If you choose not to go back to work or choose to go back part-time and are no longer eligible for medical coverage through your company they HAVE to offer you cobra (you pay fully but remain on their policy).

The law regarding materity leave is tricky because its based on the amount of days you worked within the last year. If you worked the amount of hours mandated (I think its 1280 but not sure) then as long as you return to work either for 30 days or fulfill the agreement they made with you (get it in writing to avoid problems) you are entitled to 90 days of maternity leave of which 6 are paid. Meaning for 6 weeks you get paid and the rest of the time you don't get paid but they have to hold your job. However, if you do not go back to work or do not keep to your agreement you have to pay them back all the money they paid you including benefits.

All this is available online. I did alot of research on it. I will try to find the links for this information and post them.

Good Luck!

Leahh

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 6:59 pm
There is alot of helpful information on these two sites:
http://www.oag.state.ny.us/lab.....#comp
http://www.labor.state.ny.us/index.htm
You have to do some searching to find the specfics of what your looking for but its all there.
Good Luck!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 8:38 pm
I can't speak for state laws, but the federal FMLA which states that one's job must be held for 12 weeks for maternity leave is only applicable to jobs that employ a certain amount of people (I believe 50). There are many specifics involved.

mc'cutie

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 8:46 pm
You should also know that there is a maximum amount that you can receive for maternity leave. I worked full time before my baby, however when I was on maternity leave which was 6 weeks, I got paid however not the exact amount that I would earn on a regular week.
I cant remember the amount but there is a limit of how much pay you receive on maternity leave..Its crazy.

BoomChickaPop

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 8:52 pm
I work in NY, my company has a policy that you recieve 6 weeks pay after having baby, the pay is based on your salary when you went on leave, so in your case it would be 6 weeks pay of your full-time salary. As far as medical benefits, my company pays less money towards health insurance if you are part-time (the health insurance itself stays the same though), but that does not start until you change to part-time status when you return to work.

ange

Post Wed, Jul 02 2008, 12:02 pm
In the company I used to work in, a large corporation, maternity pay was based upon what your schedule was at the time you gave birth. You being a full time employee until birth entitles you to full maternity benefits.

What comes after the birth is a whole new arrangement and has nothing to do with it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics