Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Pediatric dentists: Why are ours so ridiculous?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 4:15 pm
What?! I never heard of anyone being put to sleep for dental treatment! And I've been to many many dentists for myself and kids over the years. When I was 14 I had dental surgery and wasn't put to sleep.

They always make it numb and/or use laughing gas.

And the pediatric dental clinic I use now definitely lets parents into the room, they even have special chairs for the parent. And they have kids video screens above the chairs, to distract them.

amother
Petunia

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 4:16 pm
Maybe people with good experience would be happy to share name of dentist and specify if it does/doesnt accept medicaid to help each other. I am looking for pediatric and adult dentist in Brooklyn.

amother
Outerspace

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 4:19 pm
amother Junglegreen wrote:
It is very standard practice to talk to teens about risky behaviors without parents in the room. If you’re worried about her giving him an education he didn’t already have, that I could see. Other than that there’s nothing wrong with what she did.

If it’s ok with you, I’ll stay in the room when medical professionals talk to my children, unless my CHILDREN ask my not to. Last time I checked, we are the ones who get to decode, not her. I didn’t say she did anything wrong, I just said that I want to be there.

amother
Dill

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 4:54 pm
amother Almond wrote:
I had phenomenal dentists on Medicaid. My current non Medicaid one is no where as good as the 3 Medicaid ones so…

Oh please. No great dentists takes medicaid, certainly not pediatric dentists who can charge a fortune privately.

Also, when you have Medicaid the dentists use inferior products. No way they use expensive, high quality stuff to get paid $25. Now you know why your fillings keep on falling out when you go to a Medicaid dentist.

amother
NeonPink

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 4:55 pm
I would never let my kids be treated by a doctor or dentist who doesnt let a parent in. No wayyy. and none of my kids have EVER been put to sleep for dental work. ever. this isn't standard care.

amother
Dill

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 4:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes, these are medicaid dentists. I wasn't expecting them to be as good as others, but not like this!

Your only hope is to go to a clinic that has students working under supervision or young grads gaining experience before opening their own practice. An older, more experienced dentist who takes Medicaid 99% of the time is lousy.

amother
Brass

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 6:14 pm
Op, something tells me you’re in my city. I left that practice because they told me the same thing about anesthesia for my daughter without even trying to talk to her! Zero skills on dealing with kids!. I tried one more place which was even worse. Now I’m considering paying out of pocket for this one child.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 6:17 pm
amother Dill wrote:
Oh please. No great dentists takes medicaid, certainly not pediatric dentists who can charge a fortune privately.

Also, when you have Medicaid the dentists use inferior products. No way they use expensive, high quality stuff to get paid $25. Now you know why your fillings keep on falling out when you go to a Medicaid dentist.

They get between 90 and 110, not 25. And I've never had any fillings fall out- neither mine, nor my kids.

amother
Tulip

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 6:40 pm
amother Brass wrote:
Op, something tells me you’re in my city. I left that practice because they told me the same thing about anesthesia for my daughter without even trying to talk to her! Zero skills on dealing with kids!. I tried one more place which was even worse. Now I’m considering paying out of pocket for this one child.

Can I ask which city? Cause I had the same experience

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 6:50 pm
I'm in Philadelphia. Is that where you guys are?

amother
Honey

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 6:54 pm
amother Jetblack wrote:
What?! I never heard of anyone being put to sleep for dental treatment! And I've been to many many dentists for myself and kids over the years. When I was 14 I had dental surgery and wasn't put to sleep.

They always make it numb and/or use laughing gas.

And the pediatric dental clinic I use now definitely lets parents into the room, they even have special chairs for the parent. And they have kids video screens above the chairs, to distract them.

People are put to sleep for dental treatment - there are anesthesiologists who just do this.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 7:03 pm
I've heard of anesthesia for dentistry but I find it very creepy that he doesn't want you in there, especially when they're not conscious. I would not be okay with that. It sounds very fishy.

amother
Honey

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 7:08 pm
amother Cappuccino wrote:
I've heard of anesthesia for dentistry but I find it very creepy that he doesn't want you in there, especially when they're not conscious. I would not be okay with that. It sounds very fishy.

Not fishy at all - if the child is under anesthesia the only thing the parent would be doing is watching the professionals do their job.

amother
Brass

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 7:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm in Philadelphia. Is that where you guys are?

No. But it seems like there’s a new crop of dentists that receive an inferior level of training and they work on clinic type of practices and take Medicaid. (I’ve heard this issue in many cities)

asmileaday

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 7:14 pm
amother Petunia wrote:
Maybe people with good experience would be happy to share name of dentist and specify if it does/doesnt accept medicaid to help each other. I am looking for pediatric and adult dentist in Brooklyn.

I had great experience at Ezra dental but it was many years ago. Dr. Krohl was the best but she's not there anymore. Dr. Gold was also great, no idea if she's still there (she was a single girl at the time maybe her name changed).

chili-n-cholent

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 7:36 pm
asmileaday wrote:
I had great experience at Ezra dental but it was many years ago. Dr. Krohl was the best but she's not there anymore. Dr. Gold was also great, no idea if she's still there (she was a single girl at the time maybe her name changed).

Ezra doesn't take new paitents.
And they have a constantly rotating staff so its impossible to be happy with a dentist and have them stay with you for more than a few years before they're off somewhere else.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 7:37 pm
chili-n-cholent wrote:
Ezra doesn't take new paitents.
And they have a constantly rotating staff so its impossible to be happy with a dentist and have them stay with you for more than a few years before they're off somewhere else.

Ok I have no idea, I don't live in Brooklyn anymore. I'm glad they were so steady and great when my kids were little.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 7:42 pm
amother Honey wrote:
Not fishy at all - if the child is under anesthesia the only thing the parent would be doing is watching the professionals do their job.

Yeah but there's stories of dentists sedating and molesting their patients. If there was a team of assistants in there the whole time, okay. Otherwise I'd run far away. And if you sense something is off, find a new dentist.

tweety1

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 8:50 pm
amother Butterscotch wrote:
I would switch dentist! This is horrible! Not letting a parent in????
Besides, I would be weary of any dentist finding too many cavities.
A few months ago, I took my 7 year old to a pediatric dentist. They told me my son had 14 cavities and they would only do the work if they use laughing gas. I wasnt too confortable with it so I asked my regular dentist if he would see my son. He only found 2 small cavities which he treated in one short apointment. This is not the first time this has happened to me. Considering that we are very on top of brushing teeth and taking our kids for dental checkups, and limiting candies, I dont expect my kids to have too many cavities. I would find it surprising if a 3 year old already has 5 cavities.

I've had that too with a pediatric dentist sometimes mentioned on here. I took dd too maimonides pediatric dentistry for a second opinion. She had no cavities. Dd hasn't had any cavities at all bh. She was 3 yrs old at the time she's now 16!

amother
Sand

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 9:01 pm
Maybe you should ditch the so called pediatric dentist and just bring the kids to a regular dentist who treats patients of all ages. When my kids were small enough, I sat in the chair with them in my lap and the dentist treated them that way till they either got too big for my lap or didn't want to sit in it anymore.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics