Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Newborn essentials- first week
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 6:28 am
amother Pewter wrote:
You don't need a baby bath tub for first week.

Babies don't need to be bathed so early and if they do a sponge bath suffices.

(I actually don't use a bathtub, I free bathe in the big tub..)

Our model provides a beciatiful package with everything you need including ointment, gauze pads, beautifully printed instructions, wipes, diapers, swaddle...

Yes, I don’t bathe my babies right away either. Once I do, I have a baby tub, but I usually use the kitchen sink. Which reminds me….my baby needs a bath!

Yes, many (most? all?) mohelim will either give you things or tell you what you need. Many Jewish pharmacies have packages, and if you are using a local mohel, they might have separate packages for different mohelim. However, that’s not until a few days later. Many people don’t even call the mohel until a few days after the baby is born, so if you want to avoid running out of something, you would either have to get stuff before the baby is born, or have your husband get it while you’re in the hospital.

ittsamother

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 6:29 am
You got this, OP! Iy'h it will all go smoothly and easily with a good and quick recovery and you'll be enjoying the newborn snuggles and delicious baby breath before you know it!

ittsamother

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 6:34 am
Oh, here's something no one ever thinks to tell you- stool softeners! They give you at the hospital (they're big and translucent red and look like candy lol) but buy some for yourself and take religiously the first few days after birth, cuz otherwise that first bowel movement after birth can feel scaaaary! BH with the softeners things were a lot more doable...

mushkamothers

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 6:46 am
I'm laughing from these lists bc all I use in the first week is:

Baby-
Diapers
Wipes
Onesies (actually I don't even dress my baby at all because I do lots of skin to skin, when I'm not holding him I just loosely swaddle in something warm)
Carseat / bassinet
Bacitracin for bris

Me-
Pads, hospital underwear, peri bottle (hospital has these)
Nursing bra
Milk collector cups rather than nursing pads
Zip up robe to live in for the first week

Honestly that's it. Like the absolute essentials if you're staying put the first week. If you're going to go out or travel somewhere then you'll want or need more stuff but to stay in your own bed, all you really need for baby is diapers - you need more stuff for yourself like your physical needs.

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 6:54 am
Diaper rash cream ! The thing my husband ran out for on day 4 when a rash suddenly appeared. Sensitive wipes and sensitive diapers.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 8:06 am
Thank you all so much! This was so so helpful! I have an Amazon list to which I keep adding things so I can just move to my cart when needed.

Thank you!

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 8:09 am
In the US you can get the pump thru insurance.

Not sure this was mentioned, Tylenol and Motrin for yourself. Although, you may not need it past 4-5 days after birth.

scruffy

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 8:10 am
Baby nail clippers
Baby thermometer
Nursing pillow

Not something to buy necessarily, but something to make sure to take home from the hospital if you're nursing: that big hospital water bottle! Very important to make sure you're well hydrated.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 8:13 am
https://www.target.com/p/swadd.....03265

I love these swaddle blankets. They are so multifunctional - light swaddles, car seat covers…and they are my personal favorite nursing covers. They’re pretty large so you feel covered but they’re so lightweight and breathable. I don’t like nursing under a heavier blanket or we both get shvitzy.

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 8:14 am
My list:
Onesies, sleepers, diapers, wipes, butt cream
Muslin burp cloths
Adult diapers
Large pads
Washable bamboo nursing pads
Prune juice and similar measures

mfb

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 9:01 am
Just a note if you’re planning on nursing start putting on lanolin cream 4-6 weeks before your due date. I found that really helped protect against cracked or bleeding nip les

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 9:03 am
ittsamother wrote:
Oh, here's something no one ever thinks to tell you- stool softeners! They give you at the hospital (they're big and translucent red and look like candy lol) but buy some for yourself and take religiously the first few days after birth, cuz otherwise that first bowel movement after birth can feel scaaaary! BH with the softeners things were a lot more doable...

Can I use something like Miralax or does it need to be more heavy duty?

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 9:11 am
amother OP wrote:

I'm planning to start with some simple foods and drinks that are good for getting or keeping things going. Miralax should work though. The popular stool softener Colace (docusate) was recently shown to be ineffective. It doesn't perform better than a placebo.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 9:58 am
amother OP wrote:

Actually my midwives suggest trying to go #2 as often as you can after birth. Ladies get constipated from fear of pain. Just try to go within the first day. Once you do it without pain, the more likely you will have an easier time.
The exception would be severe tearing. Ask your Dr/midwife how to approach that.

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 10:02 am
Iymnok wrote:
Actually my midwives suggest trying to go #2 as often as you can after birth. Ladies get constipated from fear of pain. Just try to go within the first day. Once you do it without pain, the more likely you will have an easier time.
The exception would be severe tearing. Ask your Dr/midwife how to approach that.

That makes some sense. Birth is also harder and more painful when you have fear. It can usually work pretty well when you let it.

Rappel

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 10:51 am
Also, I use cotton spit up cloths for everything. They're amazing.

A classy tote bag into which you pack everything the baby needs, so you can carry it with you.

For myself: I always buy myself nice lotion, perfume, and 2-3 comfy robes before birth. I want to feel dignified and beautiful, and I want to have pyjamas that I can wear around the house for the days when I don't want to move.

Also, for the hospital: disposal underwear is the best. Ever. Pads always leak/miss, and I'm miserable when I feel dirty. The confidence that disposable underwear gives is worth any price.

amother
Clover

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 9:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you all so much! This was so so helpful! I have an Amazon list to which I keep adding things so I can just move to my cart when needed.

Thank you!

Way to go! And then hubby can just order it all as soon as you give birth!

challah58

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 9:24 pm
Original question sounded like you also want a hospital list, so I'll post what I packed in case that's helpful Smile

Small siddur with tehillim
Birthing ball and pump to blow it up cuz it grosses me out a bit to use hospital one
Gum/mints
Hair ties
Toothbrush
Crocs/slippers
Mini sizes of my own toiletries. Felt so good showering that first night and using proper shampoo , face wash, moisturizer etc.
Chapstick
Peri bottle cuz I wanted to use the upside down type
My own pjs, tichel
Water bottle
Snacks
Coconut oil (my preferred nipple cream and newborn diapers rash cream)
A couple depends just in case but I usually do use the hospital ones while I'm there Wink
1 outfit for me to go home with
2 dif sized outfits for baby to go home with

Some other things I don't bother with but you might find helpful are ear plugs, eye mask, nursing pillow, heating pad, your own towel and pillow, a velcro/zipper swaddle. If you're planning formula/pacifier right away, you can bring your preferred companies.

Wishing you the best experience!!

cookier

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 9:55 pm
If nursing:
- These things: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001.....ss_tl

I don’t know why they’re not more popular/easier to find because they are the best for the early nursing days. So soothing.

-Definitely have lanolin and try to get your pump before going to the hospital, or buy as soon as baby is born so it’s waiting for you at home.

-A huge water bottle. Nursing releases hormones that make you feel indescribably thirsty, and newborns can take a long time to nurse. I would drink glass after glass in those long sessions.

Non-feeding related:
-I kept my November baby in side snap shirts like these so I didn’t have to worry about the onesies rubbing on her cord stump. Mostly we did these with a sleep sack. https://www.gerberchildrenswea.....w_wcB

-a nightlight for your bedroom if you don’t already have one and baby will sleep with you. I remember sending DH out for one.
-eye mask for the hospital if you need it dark to sleep. The rooms are never dark, no matter how hard you try.
-dermaplast spray. Really nice for stitches.
-Heating pad and ice pack for back/belly/pelvis pain.
-nail files for baby (unless you want to chew their nails off, which a lot of people swear by). Nail clippers are too stressful at that stage.
-bottle brush unless you have a dishwasher and some kind of sterilization setup for pump parts, bottles, or pacis. You won’t need it forever but it’s good for newborns.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 6:03 am
Ok, another maybe stupid question:

If I'm planning to exclusively breastfeed, in what scenario would I need a bottle? I know many people do use them, but I'm trying to figure out when exactly I would be giving baby a bottle vs breastfeeding.

Thank you all so much, btw. I don't really have anyone IRL to whom I can ask these questions.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics