Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Havdalah candle stubs

Shulamuna

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 2:18 pm
Hi,
Does anyone have a creative idea what to do with havdalah candle stubs that are too small to use anymore? Surely there must be something to do with them besides throwing them away. The only thing I can think of is to wait for winter and burn them in my wood stove.

singleagain

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 2:26 pm
I feel like I remember hearing a story where they saved the Havdalah stubs and then melted them down and used the wax to build candles for the chupa.

Of course you could just melt them down and then rebuild it into a new Havdalah candle

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 7:39 pm
Melt them and make a new candle by pouring the wax into a container into which you've placed a wick. A half-pint milk carton is good because you can then peel the container off the candle. The same can't be said for a tomato-paste can. Wicks can be bought at craft and candlemaking stores, or you could fashion your own from cotton string. The store-bought kind comes with little metal sinkers or self-adhesive disks that keep the wick from floating up when you pour in the wax.

You can also use candle stubs to lubricate runners of wooden drawers. If you have enough, you can give your hands a spa paraffin treatment. Google how to do this--you want the wax warm enough to be melted but not so hot as to burn your skin.

Be very very careful when melting wax. Best to use a double boiler so the wax doesn't get too hot or you risk starting a fire.

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 7:45 pm
If you use bar soap, you can "waterproof" one side of the bar by dipping it in melted paraffin (candle wax). Then you can eliminate the need for a soap dish.

https://flusterbuster.com/para......html
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics